Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python 2.5 - f=open('a_file.txt','w') gives [Errno 2]

python 2.5 - f=open('a_file.txt','w') gives [Errno 2]

dirkheld

Hi,

I upgraded my system from tiger to leopard. With leopard came a new
version of python 2.5

Now I trying to run some python code that previously worked on tiger
(which included an older version of python).

This is the error I'm receiving :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "test.py", line 18, in print_total
f=open('a_file.txt','w')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'a_file.txt'

Is this a bug in python? This code worked on my old system

Diez B. Roggisch

dirkheld wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I upgraded my system from tiger to leopard. With leopard came a new
> version of python 2.5
>
> Now I trying to run some python code that previously worked on tiger
> (which included an older version of python).
>
> This is the error I'm receiving :
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "test.py", line 18, in print_total
> f=open('a_file.txt','w')
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'a_file.txt'
>

> Is this a bug in python? This code worked on my old system

The obvious question is: do you have 'a_file.txt' on your new system? There
are many happy python programmers on leopard, and this is one heck of a
basic functionality - I really doubt it's broken in such obvious way (if
any at all).

Diez

Rick Dooling

On Dec 3, 7:47 am, dirkheld <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'a_file.txt'

I sometimes see that error on Linux when trying to run a script with
DOS line endings. Is it an imported file? I don't know Macs, but start
by making sure both your script and the file have Mac line endings?

rick

dirkheld

On 3 dec, 14:54, "Diez B. Roggisch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> dirkheld wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I upgraded my system from tiger to leopard. With leopard came a new
> > version of python 2.5

> > Now I trying to run some python code that previously worked on tiger
> > (which included an older version of python).

> > This is the error I'm receiving :

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > File "test.py", line 18, in print_total
> > f=open('a_file.txt','w')
> > IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'a_file.txt'

> > Is this a bug in python? This code worked on my old system

> The obvious question is: do you have 'a_file.txt' on your new system? There
> are many happy python programmers on leopard, and this is one heck of a
> basic functionality - I really doubt it's broken in such obvious way (if
> any at all).
>
> Diez

I don't have a file called 'a_file.txt'
I want to create that file and write some data to it. (http://
docs.python.org/tut/node9.html#SECTION009200000000000000000)
The strange thing is that it worked under tiger with an older vesion
of python without any problem....

Diez B. Roggisch

dirkheld wrote:

> On 3 dec, 14:54, "Diez B. Roggisch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> dirkheld wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > I upgraded my system from tiger to leopard. With leopard came a new
>> > version of python 2.5

>> > Now I trying to run some python code that previously worked on tiger
>> > (which included an older version of python).

>> > This is the error I'm receiving :

>> > Traceback (most recent call last):
>> > File "test.py", line 18, in print_total
>> > f=open('a_file.txt','w')
>> > IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'a_file.txt'

>> > Is this a bug in python? This code worked on my old system

>> The obvious question is: do you have 'a_file.txt' on your new system?
>> There are many happy python programmers on leopard, and this is one heck
>> of a basic functionality - I really doubt it's broken in such obvious way
>> (if any at all).
>>
>> Diez

> I don't have a file called 'a_file.txt'
> I want to create that file and write some data to it. (http://
> docs.python.org/tut/node9.html#SECTION009200000000000000000)
> The strange thing is that it worked under tiger with an older vesion
> of python without any problem....

Oh sorry, my bad. I didn't see the mode flag. Do you by any chance happen to
not have the right to create files in the directory you are? What happens
if you use it in /tmp for example?

Still, I hold up to my reasoning: writing files is so essential in python,
and certainly not subject to great - if any - change (after all, it's just
calling the underlying OS functions) that I doubt it is broken.

Diez

Hrvoje Niksic

dirkheld <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I don't have a file called 'a_file.txt'
> I want to create that file and write some data to it.

How exactly are you starting the Python interpreter? "No such file or
directory" on file creation can happen when you try to create a file
in a directory that has ceased to exist:

$ mkdir x
$ cd x
$ rm -rf ~/x
$ python
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Oct 5 2007, 13:36:32)
[GCC 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)] on linux2
>>> f = open('foo', 'w')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'foo'

dirkheld

> How exactly are you starting the Python interpreter? "No such file or
> directory" on file creation can happen when you try to create a file
> in a directory that has ceased to exist:

Damn...now it's time to be ashamed. Because of my new installation of
leopard I used another computername. So the path were I wanted to
write to didn't exist any more.

Previous : /users/dirkheld/programming/python/....
Now : /users/dirk/programming/python/...

Sorry for keeping you guys busy with such a mistake

Bruno Desthuilliers

dirkheld a écrit :
>>How exactly are you starting the Python interpreter? "No such file or
>>directory" on file creation can happen when you try to create a file
>>in a directory that has ceased to exist:

> Damn...now it's time to be ashamed. Because of my new installation of
> leopard I used another computername. So the path were I wanted to
> write to didn't exist any more.
>
> Previous : /users/dirkheld/programming/python/....
> Now : /users/dirk/programming/python/...

which should remind everybody that hard-coding a path is a bad idea !-)

> Sorry for keeping you guys busy with such a mistake

Rick Dooling

> Sorry for keeping you guys busy with such a mistake

No apologies necessary, especially since you reported the final
outcome. Now anybody searching on that message will find a complete
thread and a lesson learned.

rick