Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Correct syntax conditional comment?

Correct syntax conditional comment?

Andy Dingley

On 4 Dec, 14:14, Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Does no one here understand the conditional mood or the
>> concept of pretense?

> If not, a brief exchange with my significant other will set you straight in
> no time.

You're definitely funnier since you stopped being nerdyboy

William Gill

Bone Ur wrote:

> People who talk to themselves are nut cases

A group of the people who worked for me once teased about talking to
myself, until I pointed out that "Those seem to be the only intelligent
conversations I can have around here."

Besides, people who talk to themselves aren't the nut jobs, it's the
ones who answer back.

Ed Mullen

Bone Ur wrote:
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 00:05:58 GMT
> dorayme scribed:
>
>>> Thanks for expressing this so clearly. I am in the middle of stripping
>>> the slash from my hobby site as we speak and cursing myself for not
>>> /thinking/ about what I was doing.
>>>

>> Don't curse yourself. It is useful to ask people every kind of
>> question, including ones you could answer yourself with some
>> effort. It avoids having to so often deal with self; this latter
>> can get a bit depressing and causes a dampening of the motivation
>> to help oneself.

> People who talk to themselves are nut cases

"I am *not*!" (Yes, you are!) "No I'm not!" (Of course you are!) ...

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

William Gill

dorayme wrote:
> In article <Xns99FC132013ECAboneurhyphe@85.214.90.236>,
> Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> * Harrison Ford admitted to doing it in Firewall (a terrible
>>> film).

>> Never even _heard of_ that film! I'll be sure to remain oblivious to it if
>> I can.

> It is general rule that if keen film buffs have not heard of a
> film, it is probably not very good. But I have come across *many*
> exceptions to this.

Actually, I enjoyed it for what it was, in spite of its flaws. It was an
engaging escape with no pretensions. It didn't try to sermonize, it
didn't portend to carry some "great underlying meaning." Just because I
appreciate a well prepared strip steak, doesn't mean I can't enjoy a hot
dog at the ballpark.

William Gill

Andy Dingley wrote:
> You're definitely funnier since you stopped being nerdyboy

Andy, please don't encourage him. <g>

dorayme

In article <RDe5j.2870$(E-Mail Removed)>,
William Gill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bone Ur wrote:
> >
> > People who talk to themselves are nut cases
> >

> A group of the people who worked for me once teased about talking to
> myself, until I pointed out that "Those seem to be the only intelligent
> conversations I can have around here."
>
> Besides, people who talk to themselves aren't the nut jobs, it's the
> ones who answer back.

Sometimes, no one is game to answer back even then. Witness the
scene in Taxi Driver where Robert De Niro is shaping up in front
of a mirror in his dingy rented room...

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <IPe5j.2871$(E-Mail Removed)>,
William Gill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:

> Actually, I enjoyed it for what it was, in spite of its flaws. It was an
> engaging escape with no pretensions. It didn't try to sermonize, it
> didn't portend to carry some "great underlying meaning." Just because I
> appreciate a well prepared strip steak, doesn't mean I can't enjoy a hot
> dog at the ballpark.

Don't get me going William! Underneath its painting by numbers I
was seeing a highly unlikely cloying social message about
families. But never mind, the main thing was its straining
unlikelihoods. Superman was far more honest and likely in my
estimation.

The best line in it? A rather nice sort of understatement! It was
when Ford said, towards the end, in answer to a question about
what he was doing, "I am looking for my dog". He was too!

I realise this following bit is going to be strictly OT but If
you want a film that is a rollicking good natured tale with no
'great underlying meaning', I recommend Master and Commander.
(Hey Boji, Officer White is sure in charge of this one).

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <8Ue5j.2872$(E-Mail Removed)>,
William Gill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Andy Dingley wrote:
> > You're definitely funnier since you stopped being nerdyboy

> Andy, please don't encourage him. <g>

The damage has been done. There is now going to be hell to pay.

--
dorayme

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 20:35:18
GMT dorayme scribed:

> I realise this following bit is going to be strictly OT but If
> you want a film that is a rollicking good natured tale with no
> 'great underlying meaning', I recommend Master and Commander.
> (Hey Boji, Officer White is sure in charge of this one).

Saw it and liked it. Thought ol' what's-his-puss did a good job in the
role, too. I'd have to see it again to really rate it with a fair
accuracy, but I don't think it was a "dog".

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:46:56 GMT
William Gill scribed:

>> People who talk to themselves are nut cases
>>

> A group of the people who worked for me once teased about talking to
> myself, until I pointed out that "Those seem to be the only intelligent
> conversations I can have around here."

Hehe, I've used that line once or twice myself.

> Besides, people who talk to themselves aren't the nut jobs, it's the
> ones who answer back.

But only if they're alone in the room... <g>