Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network permission problems

Network permission problems

jsebastianortiz@yahoo.com

PC #1 Laptop: Win XP Media Center, wireless connection to Router, No
Firewall. I can see PC #2 and access shared folders and transfer files
from #1 to #2.

PC #2 Desktop: Win XP Media Center, Wireless connection to Router, No
Firewall. I can see PC #1 on the network but the (2) shared folders do
not show up. When I click on PC #1, I get the following screen:
\\FamilyPC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
if You have access permissions. Access is denied.

Both PC's access the internet ok.

Thanks.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

What's the system code if you do net view \\pc#1ipaddress from the pc #2?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> PC #1 Laptop: Win XP Media Center, wireless connection to Router, No
> Firewall. I can see PC #2 and access shared folders and transfer files
> from #1 to #2.
>
> PC #2 Desktop: Win XP Media Center, Wireless connection to Router, No
> Firewall. I can see PC #1 on the network but the (2) shared folders do
> not show up. When I click on PC #1, I get the following screen:
> \\FamilyPC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
> if You have access permissions. Access is denied.
>
> Both PC's access the internet ok.
>
> Thanks.

Carol

check the permissions in your sharing properties (right click folder and
from drop down menu select properties, then click the sharing tab and the
permissions button). I've found that I don't have everyone listed with
permissions checked, when I get that message.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> PC #1 Laptop: Win XP Media Center, wireless connection to Router, No
> Firewall. I can see PC #2 and access shared folders and transfer files
> from #1 to #2.
>
> PC #2 Desktop: Win XP Media Center, Wireless connection to Router, No
> Firewall. I can see PC #1 on the network but the (2) shared folders do
> not show up. When I click on PC #1, I get the following screen:
> \\FamilyPC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
> if You have access permissions. Access is denied.
>
> Both PC's access the internet ok.
>
> Thanks.

Chuck [MVP]

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 00:56:52 -0800 (PST), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>PC #1 Laptop: Win XP Media Center, wireless connection to Router, No
>Firewall. I can see PC #2 and access shared folders and transfer files
>from #1 to #2.
>
>PC #2 Desktop: Win XP Media Center, Wireless connection to Router, No
>Firewall. I can see PC #1 on the network but the (2) shared folders do
>not show up. When I click on PC #1, I get the following screen:
>\\FamilyPC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the
>network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
>if You have access permissions. Access is denied.
>
>Both PC's access the internet ok.
>
>Thanks.

Start by looking at the NetBT setting, and at any personal firewalls or other
security components. Antivirus protection can contain an antiworm component,
which will act as a personal firewall.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

Or diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all",
"net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer. Read
this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT