Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox security alert.

Reply
Thread Tools

Firefox security alert.

 
 
Lord Turkey Cough
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2007
I heard there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime
files which comprimise your security.
Not present in IE apparently.
I heard FF was supposed to be more secure.
Aparently not.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Leonidas Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2007
Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
> I heard there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime
> files which comprimise your security.
> Not present in IE apparently.
> I heard FF was supposed to be more secure.
> Aparently not.
>
>


You know, if you are going to post something like this, it would be a
good idea to add a link or two confirming your report. Otherwise it
just comes off sounding like FUD. Are you talking about this:

http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3700316

Old news and fixed months ago at that.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
Links: http://www.ufaq.org/ http://mozilla.com http://kb.mozillazine.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:00 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"

>I _ heard_ there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime files

Where? What authority?

> which comprimise your security.

How?

>Not present in IE _apparently_.

There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").

>I _heard_ FF was supposed to be more secure.

Where? What authority?

>_Aparentl_y not.

There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lord Turkey Cough
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:00 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
>
>>I _ heard_ there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime files

> Where? What authority?
>
>> which comprimise your security.

> How?
>
>>Not present in IE _apparently_.

> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
>
>>I _heard_ FF was supposed to be more secure.

> Where? What authority?
>
>>_Aparentl_y not.

> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
>
>


See my above post.
I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the link.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lord Turkey Cough
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007

"Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GDH4j.9181$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
>> I heard there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime
>> files which comprimise your security.
>> Not present in IE apparently.
>> I heard FF was supposed to be more secure.
>> Aparently not.

>
> You know, if you are going to post something like this, it would be a good
> idea to add a link or two confirming your report. Otherwise it just comes
> off sounding like FUD. Are you talking about this:


Not really.
>
> http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3700316
>
> Old news and fixed months ago at that.


http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...ktime_exploit/

"Most agree that Firefox is vulnerable, particularly if QuickTime is
selected as the default media player."




>
> Lee
>
> --
> Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
> The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
> Links: http://www.ufaq.org/ http://mozilla.com http://kb.mozillazine.org



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Mullen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:00 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
>>
>>> I _ heard_ there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime files

>> Where? What authority?
>>
>>> which comprimise your security.

>> How?
>>
>>> Not present in IE _apparently_.

>> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
>>
>>> I _heard_ FF was supposed to be more secure.

>> Where? What authority?
>>
>>> _Aparentl_y not.

>> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
>>
>>

>
> See my above post.
> I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the link.
>
>


Well, that's really helpful.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://mozilla.edmullen.net
http://abington.edmullen.net
I heard that in relativity theory, space and time are the same thing.
Einstein discovered this when he kept showing up three miles late to
meetings.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Leonidas Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
> "Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GDH4j.9181$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
>>> I heard there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime
>>> files which comprimise your security.
>>> Not present in IE apparently.
>>> I heard FF was supposed to be more secure.
>>> Aparently not.

>> You know, if you are going to post something like this, it would be a good
>> idea to add a link or two confirming your report. Otherwise it just comes
>> off sounding like FUD. Are you talking about this:

>
> Not really.
>> http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3700316
>>
>> Old news and fixed months ago at that.

>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...ktime_exploit/
>
> "Most agree that Firefox is vulnerable, particularly if QuickTime is
> selected as the default media player."
>



Thanks for the link, it would have been a good idea to include it in the
first place.

"Window Snyder, Mozilla's security chief said Wednesday her team was
looking into the matter."

I saw Window's blog entry after i replied to you. I am sure this will
be addressed very quickly.

By the way, OE Quotefix would be a really, really good idea, if you are
going to post on Mozilla groups:

http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
Links: http://www.ufaq.org/ http://mozilla.com http://kb.mozillazine.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dan C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:00 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
>>
>>> I _ heard_ there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime files

>> Where? What authority?
>>
>>> which comprimise your security.

>> How?
>>
>>> Not present in IE _apparently_.

>> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
>>
>>> I _heard_ FF was supposed to be more secure.

>> Where? What authority?
>>
>>> _Aparentl_y not.

>> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
>>
>>

>
> See my above post.
> I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the link.
>
>



Prescription: a big chug-a-lug of Robitussin DM,
loosening up a big luggie of information would be
"productive" for us all
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lord Turkey Cough
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007

"Dan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newshL4j.75563$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
>> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:00 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
>>>
>>>> I _ heard_ there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime files
>>> Where? What authority?
>>>
>>>> which comprimise your security.
>>> How?
>>>
>>>> Not present in IE _apparently_.
>>> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
>>>
>>>> I _heard_ FF was supposed to be more secure.
>>> Where? What authority?
>>>
>>>> _Aparentl_y not.
>>> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
>>>
>>>

>>
>> See my above post.
>> I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the
>> link.

>
>
> Prescription: a big chug-a-lug of Robitussin DM, loosening up a big
> luggie of information would be "productive" for us all


I found it again but I think I have lost it again :O)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lord Turkey Cough
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007

"Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
>> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:00 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
>>>
>>>> I _ heard_ there is problem with the way FF handles quicktime files
>>> Where? What authority?
>>>
>>>> which comprimise your security.
>>> How?
>>>
>>>> Not present in IE _apparently_.
>>> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
>>>
>>>> I _heard_ FF was supposed to be more secure.
>>> Where? What authority?
>>>
>>>> _Aparentl_y not.
>>> There's more to life than that which meets the eye (i.e. "appears").
>>>
>>>

>>
>> See my above post.
>> I found a way to 'fix' it but I can't remember what i did or find the
>> link.

>
> Well, that's really helpful.


True but at least you know your system is insecure :O)

>
> --
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net
> http://mozilla.edmullen.net
> http://abington.edmullen.net
> I heard that in relativity theory, space and time are the same thing.
> Einstein discovered this when he kept showing up three miles late to
> meetings.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accessing higher security level from higher security level nderose@gmail.com Cisco 0 07-11-2005 10:20 PM
Going from higher security level interface to lower security interface- HELP!!! - AM Cisco 4 12-28-2004 09:52 PM
IT-Security, Security, e-security COMSOLIT Messmer Computer Support 0 09-05-2003 08:34 AM
How secure is the security from my security form? Aaron Java 1 08-04-2003 06:16 PM
MCSA: Security MCSE: Security question Rick Sears MCSE 0 07-29-2003 08:02 PM



Advertisments