Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital camera noise reduction idea

Digital camera noise reduction idea

Viator

> I think your tinfoil helmet has slipped.

Dealing with quality people like you is the spice of life.

David L. Jones

On Dec 3, 10:00 am, Viator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was curious if anyone has thought of the following way to
> reduce image noise, in particular noise that comes from an
> electromagnetic source i.e. not light. The idea is,
> just cover most of the camera with tinfoil, everything except
> the lens of course. By this method, the only signal noise
> that affects the analog sensor elements will be of either
> internal origin (the circuits) or optical.
>
> But will it work? I haven't tried it, since I temporarily don't
> have a digital camera.

The "noise" does not come from external "signal noise", so shielding
it will do nothing.

Dave.

Ron Hunter

Viator wrote:
>> No, it will not work. A tinfoil hat on the operators head
>> might be a more useful idea, though...

> I appreciate your maturity.

Thanks. When one asks such a question one should be open to some ridicule.
It tends to promote rational thinking, and some research before posting.

a7yvm109gf5d1@netzero.com

On Dec 3, 9:04 pm, Viator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I think your tinfoil helmet has slipped.

> Dealing with quality people like you is the spice of life.

Dealing with retarded ideas from clueless people is the leftover
meatloaf of life.
Oh, BTW *light* IS electromagnetic!

Brian MW0GKX

"Viator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was curious if anyone has thought of the following way to
> reduce image noise, in particular noise that comes from an
> electromagnetic source i.e. not light. The idea is,
> just cover most of the camera with tinfoil, everything except
> the lens of course. By this method, the only signal noise
> that affects the analog sensor elements will be of either
> internal origin (the circuits) or optical.
>
> But will it work? I haven't tried it, since I temporarily don't
> have a digital camera.

Buy a decent camera. Mine already has an aluminium casing.

Ron Hunter

> On Dec 3, 9:04 pm, Viator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I think your tinfoil helmet has slipped.

>> Dealing with quality people like you is the spice of life.

> Dealing with retarded ideas from clueless people is the leftover
> meatloaf of life.
> Oh, BTW *light* IS electromagnetic!

Oh? I guess physics has changed in the 40 years or so since I last
studied it. Seems to me, that at that time, light was made up of
'photons', and was only in the 'electromagnetic spectrum' by virtue of
wavelength considerations. VERY different from the flow of electrons,
at least by the standards I studied. Has this changed?

acl

On Dec 5, 12:10 pm, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Oh? I guess physics has changed in the 40 years or so since I last
> studied it. Seems to me, that at that time, light was made up of
> 'photons', and was only in the 'electromagnetic spectrum' by virtue of
> wavelength considerations. VERY different from the flow of electrons,
> at least by the standards I studied. Has this changed?

No but there seems that there's some confusion here: light is
precisely coupled undulations in the electric and magnetic fields.
These are quantised, and the quantum is called the photon.

The flow of electrons is another story. But it can be cast in the same
terms. For that matter, sound waves in solids can be cast in the same
form: there, you'd probably think of them as "waves", but in fact they
can also be thought of as consisting of particles-phonons. And so on.

Ron Hunter

acl wrote:
> On Dec 5, 12:10 pm, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> Oh? I guess physics has changed in the 40 years or so since I last
>> studied it. Seems to me, that at that time, light was made up of
>> 'photons', and was only in the 'electromagnetic spectrum' by virtue of
>> wavelength considerations. VERY different from the flow of electrons,
>> at least by the standards I studied. Has this changed?

> No but there seems that there's some confusion here: light is
> precisely coupled undulations in the electric and magnetic fields.
> These are quantised, and the quantum is called the photon.
>
> The flow of electrons is another story. But it can be cast in the same
> terms. For that matter, sound waves in solids can be cast in the same
> form: there, you'd probably think of them as "waves", but in fact they
> can also be thought of as consisting of particles-phonons. And so on.

Well, since sound has the 'medium', of matter, and travels as motion of
molecules (or atoms), it seems to obey much the same rules, but can't
travel through a vacuum.

acl

On Dec 5, 3:38 pm, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> acl wrote:
> > On Dec 5, 12:10 pm, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >> Oh? I guess physics has changed in the 40 years or so since I last
> >> studied it. Seems to me, that at that time, light was made up of
> >> 'photons', and was only in the 'electromagnetic spectrum' by virtue of
> >> wavelength considerations. VERY different from the flow of electrons,
> >> at least by the standards I studied. Has this changed?

> > No but there seems that there's some confusion here: light is
> > precisely coupled undulations in the electric and magnetic fields.
> > These are quantised, and the quantum is called the photon.

> > The flow of electrons is another story. But it can be cast in the same
> > terms. For that matter, sound waves in solids can be cast in the same
> > form: there, you'd probably think of them as "waves", but in fact they
> > can also be thought of as consisting of particles-phonons. And so on.

> Well, since sound has the 'medium', of matter, and travels as motion of
> molecules (or atoms), it seems to obey much the same rules, but can't
> travel through a vacuum.

True, I was just commenting that switching between thinking of
something as particles and as waves is done in many different
contexts, not only for electromagnetic radiation. It just depends on
how closely you look (like light: normally you're fine thinking of it
as waves, but if you look too closely, it's sort of made up of
discrete particles).

That sound "quanta" are different from light quanta is also signified
by the fact that they have a different name

a7yvm109gf5d1@netzero.com

On Dec 5, 4:10 am, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> Dealing with quality people like you is the spice of life.

> > Dealing with retarded ideas from clueless people is the leftover
> > meatloaf of life.
> > Oh, BTW *light* IS electromagnetic!

> Oh? I guess physics has changed in the 40 years or so since I last
> studied it. Seems to me, that at that time, light was made up of
> 'photons', and was only in the 'electromagnetic spectrum' by virtue of
> wavelength considerations. VERY different from the flow of electrons,
> at least by the standards I studied. Has this changed?

Hilarious from Mr "It tends to promote rational thinking, and some
research before posting. "