Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Please Help

Please Help

=?Utf-8?B?OTggdG8geHAgTmV0d29yayBwcmludGVyIHByb2JsZW0=?=

I have one computer running XP SP2 connected (WIRED) to a Dlink DI-524
wireless router. I also have an older computer running Windows 98 SE with a
D-link wireless network card. Both computers have the internet running fine
but I would like to share the printer (connected to the XP computer) with the
wireless computer running windows 98 SE. Have gone through "setup home
network or small business" on both computers, named the domain. I can go
into Network Neighborhood and click on view entire network... I can see the
domain, doulble click on it I can see the other computer but can't connect
to. Now I believe I have sharing set. Please help. I can ping each
computer from the other one. Not sure if it helps but I also have the SSID
and encription set on the wireless network.

Jack

Hi

If you can use the Internet with the Wireless computer, it means that your
Wireless connection is OK, and it has nothing to do with the problem at
hand.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"98 to xp Network printer problem" <98 to xp Network printer
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have one computer running XP SP2 connected (WIRED) to a Dlink DI-524
> wireless router. I also have an older computer running Windows 98 SE with

> D-link wireless network card. Both computers have the internet running

fine
> but I would like to share the printer (connected to the XP computer) with

the
> wireless computer running windows 98 SE. Have gone through "setup home
> network or small business" on both computers, named the domain. I can go
> into Network Neighborhood and click on view entire network... I can see

the
> domain, doulble click on it I can see the other computer but can't connect
> to. Now I believe I have sharing set. Please help. I can ping each
> computer from the other one. Not sure if it helps but I also have the

SSID
> and encription set on the wireless network.

Tony

"98 to xp Network printer problem" <98 to xp Network printer
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have one computer running XP SP2 connected (WIRED) to a Dlink DI-524
> wireless router. I also have an older computer running Windows 98 SE with
> D-link wireless network card. Both computers have the internet running
> fine
> but I would like to share the printer (connected to the XP computer) with
> the
> wireless computer running windows 98 SE. Have gone through "setup home
> network or small business" on both computers, named the domain. I can go
> into Network Neighborhood and click on view entire network... I can see
> the
> domain, doulble click on it I can see the other computer but can't connect
> to. Now I believe I have sharing set. Please help. I can ping each
> computer from the other one. Not sure if it helps but I also have the
> SSID
> and encription set on the wireless network.

Are you sure you named the Domain? To use a domain you would need a server.

Steve

If your networkwork is running fine you should have no
problems. In addition to turning on sharing files &
printers in XP you will need to go to the desired printer
in the XP printers folder and manually enable sharing for
that printer. (Right click properties).

Because the other PC is win98 you will need to supply it
with a W9x driver for that printer. either via the install
CD or downloading it from the net.

Cheers,
Steve