Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > camera recommendation

camera recommendation

Joe

I know next to nothing about digital, being a large format film user
most of my life. I have to shoot some digital images of a boat that I
am writing a magazine article about. Its not practical to use my large
format for this project. They prefer an 8 mp camera for a hi-res full
page shot but she said 7 mp might suffice. I have neither. What is
the cheapest way for me to get a publication quality image? I've
borrowed a friend's digital camera (unfortunately its not an 8mp) a
couple times and thats the limit of my digital experience. I expect/
hope the editor or his staff can do any fine tuning to the images, if
necessary, as I dont have time (or desire) to learn PS. I can do
basic manipulations and cropping etc. I'm going to want a full-frame
profile image of this 17 foot long boat and some moderate close ups of
its construction.

Will a relative inexpensive P&S digital work, or can I possibly rent
something for a reasonable price? I really cant afford to buy an $800+
camera for one project that probably wont even pay that much.

irwell

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 09:33:09 -0800 (PST), Joe <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I know next to nothing about digital, being a large format film user
>most of my life. I have to shoot some digital images of a boat that I
>am writing a magazine article about. Its not practical to use my large
>format for this project. They prefer an 8 mp camera for a hi-res full
>page shot but she said 7 mp might suffice. I have neither. What is
>the cheapest way for me to get a publication quality image? I've
>borrowed a friend's digital camera (unfortunately its not an 8mp) a
>couple times and thats the limit of my digital experience. I expect/
>hope the editor or his staff can do any fine tuning to the images, if
>necessary, as I dont have time (or desire) to learn PS. I can do
>basic manipulations and cropping etc. I'm going to want a full-frame
>profile image of this 17 foot long boat and some moderate close ups of
>its construction.
>
>Will a relative inexpensive P&S digital work, or can I possibly rent
>something for a reasonable price? I really cant afford to buy an $800+
>camera for one project that probably wont even pay that much.

One time disposal digital cameras are available
Maybe the mp coount is only about 5mp.

Brendan Gillatt

gnekker@yahoo.com

There are many compact cameras on the market with more than 7 mp, and
in good light conditions you can have decent pictures. Price for
decent compact would start around $200. Check sites like dpreview for
detailed testing and recommendation.

Pat

It is possible to rent. Cheapest way may be to hire a photographer.
Magazine will probably prefer to do the editing. I would be happy to help
out for free if location is near Salem, Oregon.

Shawn Hirn

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Joe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I know next to nothing about digital, being a large format film user
> most of my life. I have to shoot some digital images of a boat that I
> am writing a magazine article about. Its not practical to use my large
> format for this project. They prefer an 8 mp camera for a hi-res full
> page shot but she said 7 mp might suffice. I have neither. What is
> the cheapest way for me to get a publication quality image? I've
> borrowed a friend's digital camera (unfortunately its not an 8mp) a
> couple times and thats the limit of my digital experience. I expect/
> hope the editor or his staff can do any fine tuning to the images, if
> necessary, as I dont have time (or desire) to learn PS. I can do
> basic manipulations and cropping etc. I'm going to want a full-frame
> profile image of this 17 foot long boat and some moderate close ups of
> its construction.
>
> Will a relative inexpensive P&S digital work, or can I possibly rent
> something for a reasonable price? I really cant afford to buy an $800+
> camera for one project that probably wont even pay that much.

The cheapest way? Ask friends, colleagues, relatives if they have a
digital camera to lend you for this project. If you prefer to stay with
large format photography, and you only need a digital camera for this
one projects, just borrow a camera from someone you know.

If you want to use the digital camera for other projects, there are tons
of excellent choices to consider. Check out http://www.dpreviewe.com and
see what interests you for your needs and budget. Good luck.

Shawn Hirn

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Brendan Gillatt <(E-Mail Removed) k>
wrote:

> Joe wrote:
> > I know next to nothing about digital, being a large format film user
> > most of my life. I have to shoot some digital images of a boat that I
> > am writing a magazine article about. Its not practical to use my large
> > format for this project. They prefer an 8 mp camera for a hi-res full
> > page shot but she said 7 mp might suffice. I have neither. What is
> > the cheapest way for me to get a publication quality image? I've
> > borrowed a friend's digital camera (unfortunately its not an 8mp) a
> > couple times and thats the limit of my digital experience. I expect/
> > hope the editor or his staff can do any fine tuning to the images, if
> > necessary, as I dont have time (or desire) to learn PS. I can do
> > basic manipulations and cropping etc. I'm going to want a full-frame
> > profile image of this 17 foot long boat and some moderate close ups of
> > its construction.
> >
> > Will a relative inexpensive P&S digital work, or can I possibly rent
> > something for a reasonable price? I really cant afford to buy an $800+
> > camera for one project that probably wont even pay that much.

> I've heard that Fujifilm digital point & shoot cameras have good sensors
> and Sonys have good lenses. I've used only a couple of Sonys and one
> Fujifilm (borrowed) so I can't give you a specific model to look out for.
>
> What I can say, however is that 8mp is pushing it for the small sensors
> and lenses in a point and shoot - expect quite a lot of noise and some
> nasty aberrations.

Nonsense. I have a 12MM Sony point and shoot camera that takes
spectacular photos, even in low light. It cost me around $300 and I am
thrilled with it. I have a Canon Digital Rebel with probably about
$2,000 worth of lenses and I like my little Sony a lot more.

Floyd L. Davidson

Joe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I know next to nothing about digital, being a large format film user
>most of my life. I have to shoot some digital images of a boat that I
>am writing a magazine article about. Its not practical to use my large
>format for this project. They prefer an 8 mp camera for a hi-res full
>page shot but she said 7 mp might suffice. I have neither. What is
>the cheapest way for me to get a publication quality image? I've
>borrowed a friend's digital camera (unfortunately its not an 8mp) a
>couple times and thats the limit of my digital experience. I expect/
>hope the editor or his staff can do any fine tuning to the images, if
>necessary, as I dont have time (or desire) to learn PS. I can do
>basic manipulations and cropping etc. I'm going to want a full-frame
>profile image of this 17 foot long boat and some moderate close ups of
>its construction.
>
>Will a relative inexpensive P&S digital work, or can I possibly rent
>something for a reasonable price? I really cant afford to buy an $800+
>camera for one project that probably wont even pay that much.

Two suggestions, take your pick:

1) Rent a camera. A pro model Nikon or Canon.

2) Hire a photographer. One who owns and uses the
requisite Nikon or Canon...

Al K

I don't know why you can not use your large format camera. Take the
pictures and have the prints or negatives scanned to digital files, by a
professional service. You get the quality at almost no cost.

Al

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Dec 2, 11:49 am, "Al K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I don't know why you can not use your large format camera.

And I'm not going to explain it