Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Where meta tags came from

Where meta tags came from

Simon

Well when I was 12 I got my first 386, this was with a 28K modem which was
connected to ozemail. I reply to this usenet group then when people where
discussing what tags should be introduced to the next version of HTML, my
suggestion was the meta tag which was basically an abbrivation of the word
metaphysics.

Funny enough as it is this meta tag from the mind of a child now exist in
all HTML documents and controls from my perspective the metaphysics of a
page. I have always posted under this name so maybe you can find it from 17
years ago, but alas the standards haven't changed, yahoo at least still use
it.

Oh well thanks for listening

Simon
http://www.chronolabs.org.au/
http://www.extraterrestrialembassy.com/
http://www.shower.geek.nz/

Harlan Messinger

Simon wrote:
> Well when I was 12 I got my first 386, this was with a 28K modem which was
> connected to ozemail. I reply to this usenet group then when people where
> discussing what tags should be introduced to the next version of HTML, my
> suggestion was the meta tag which was basically an abbrivation of the word
> metaphysics.
>
> Funny enough as it is this meta tag from the mind of a child now exist in
> all HTML documents and controls from my perspective the metaphysics of a
> page. I have always posted under this name so maybe you can find it from 17
> years ago, but alas the standards haven't changed, yahoo at least still use
> it.

Sorry, the use of the term "metadata" (not from "metaphysics"--rather,
both words are based on the Greek-derived prefix "meta-") to refer to
data *about* data predates the Internet.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 07:28:42
GMT Simon scribed:

> Well when I was 12 I got my first 386, this was with a 28K modem which
> was connected to ozemail. I reply to this usenet group then when
> people where discussing what tags should be introduced to the next
> version of HTML, my suggestion was the meta tag which was basically an
> abbrivation of the word metaphysics.
>
> Funny enough as it is this meta tag from the mind of a child now exist
> in all HTML documents and controls from my perspective the metaphysics
> of a page. I have always posted under this name so maybe you can find
> it from 17 years ago, but alas the standards haven't changed, yahoo at
> least still use it.
>
> Oh well thanks for listening

Somehow I think meta tags metastasized from other origins. But thanks for
the meandering miasma of your immaterial memories.

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

Harlan Messinger

Harlan Messinger wrote:
> Simon wrote:
>> Well when I was 12 I got my first 386, this was with a 28K modem which
>> was connected to ozemail. I reply to this usenet group then when
>> people where discussing what tags should be introduced to the next
>> version of HTML, my suggestion was the meta tag which was basically an
>> abbrivation of the word metaphysics.
>>
>> Funny enough as it is this meta tag from the mind of a child now exist
>> in all HTML documents and controls from my perspective the metaphysics
>> of a page. I have always posted under this name so maybe you can find
>> it from 17 years ago, but alas the standards haven't changed, yahoo at
>> least still use it.

> Sorry, the use of the term "metadata" (not from "metaphysics"--rather,
> both words are based on the Greek-derived prefix "meta-") to refer to
> data *about* data predates the Internet.

And perhaps your birth as well?

Simon

>> Sorry, the use of the term "metadata" (not from "metaphysics"--rather,
>> both words are based on the Greek-derived prefix "meta-") to refer to
>> data *about* data predates the Internet.

Yeah that what we assumed the term meta would eventually be put into that
contect by some zealot with a close minded education..

ps.. My urine has more value than the sound on your keyboard.

Simon

> Somehow I think meta tags metastasized from other origins. But thanks for
> the meandering miasma of your immaterial memories.

No it is definately metaphysics, as that was the topic of debate we where
having in alt.html, back before even JPG was a concept and all the browser
where text based and you had to telnet into usenet etc.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:44:47
GMT Simon scribed:

>> Somehow I think meta tags metastasized from other origins. But
>> thanks for the meandering miasma of your immaterial memories.
>>

> No it is definately metaphysics, as that was the topic of debate we
> where having in alt.html, back before even JPG was a concept and all
> the browser where text based and you had to telnet into usenet etc.

Well, I didn't hang around either The Web or Usenet back then since bbses
were my "thang" and furthermore I'm like a zealot with a close-minded
education because my spontaneity is being slowly eaten-away by various
Finns on the warpath, but I think <tremble> you will receive a lot of
doubting replies from such a primal statement without offering at least
some viable proof of its accuracy.

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Simon"
<news@[spamhater-remove].chronolabs.org.au> writing in
news:UWD4j.5048$(E-Mail Removed):

>> Somehow I think meta tags metastasized from other origins. But
>> thanks for the meandering miasma of your immaterial memories.
>>

> No it is definately metaphysics, as that was the topic of debate we
> where having in alt.html, back before even JPG was a concept and all
> the browser where text based and you had to telnet into usenet etc.

The earliest message containing metaphysics in alt.html was a response
posted by Jukka on March 24, 2000 [http://tinyurl.com/2tmy8n].

The oldest message I've found for alt.html was 1/7/1996
[http://tinyurl.com/2v9rzu], and my first message in this group was
4/10/1999 [http://tinyurl.com/348qxc] ... Wow, how things have changed
from _that_ post.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

dorayme

In article <Xns99FA9491B5A77arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The earliest message containing metaphysics in alt.html was a response
> posted by Jukka on March 24, 2000 [http://tinyurl.com/2tmy8n]

I think it was, rather, Thomas Liesner who first mentioned it in
that thread.

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-

> In article <Xns99FA9491B5A77arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
> Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The earliest message containing metaphysics in alt.html was a response
>> posted by Jukka on March 24, 2000 [http://tinyurl.com/2tmy8n]

> I think it was, rather, Thomas Liesner who first mentioned it in
> that thread.

You're right, but I mentioned Jukka because so he's well known.