Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > html5 vs xhtml2

html5 vs xhtml2

Robert Jones

Which should I focus on keeping track of? As far as I can tell each has
features that I like but neither has all of them. I know how to make use of
XML namespaces, but both the XML variant of HTML5 and XHTML2 occupy the
same namespace as far as I can tell. I know that both are working drafts
but it would probably be a good idea to keep track of at least one of them.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 06:04:50
GMT Robert Jones scribed:

> Which should I focus on keeping track of?

The stock market?

> As far as I can tell each
> has features that I like but neither has all of them. I know how to
> make use of XML namespaces, but both the XML variant of HTML5 and
> XHTML2 occupy the same namespace as far as I can tell. I know that
> both are working drafts but it would probably be a good idea to keep
> track of at least one of them.

Why? What do you need that html4.01 doesn't have? Personally, I think
xhtml is a dead end (-Good gosh! Blasphemy!) and who knows what html5 will
evolve into. Sometimes it's wise not to do anything about the things which
you can do nothing about.

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

Travis Newbury

On Dec 2, 3:17 am, Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sometimes it's wise not to do anything about the things which
> you can do nothing about.

Uh, isn't that stating the obvious?

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Robert Jones:

> Which should I focus on keeping track of?

Which of what? Confused questions indicate confused minds, and the best
approach is to ask whether you are asking the right questions at all.

> As far as I can tell each
> has features that I like but neither has all of them.

Are you designing a browser expected to become popular in the late
2010s, or do you intend to design web pages? In the former case, HTML
drafts might be of some interest to you.

> I know how to
> make use of XML namespaces,

That's rather irrelevant to web authoring at present and in the next few
years.

> but both the XML variant of HTML5 and
> XHTML2 occupy the same namespace as far as I can tell.

Excuse me while I yawn.

> I know that both are working drafts

You're exaggerating their status, using common misleading words. They
are really discussion documents aimed at creating sketches for drafts.

> but it would probably be a good idea to keep
> track of at least one of them.

What makes you think so?

In practical authoring, pay attention to what common browsers actually
do, but do not violate the official specifications unless you really
know what you are doing, and do not expect any behavior not mandates in
those specifications to be permanent. Don't believe people who claim
that HTML 5 helps you in this approach.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Travis Newbury:

> On Dec 2, 3:17 am, Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Sometimes it's wise not to do anything about the things which
>> you can do nothing about.

> Uh, isn't that stating the obvious?

No, because people can do much harm in trying to do the impossible (like
trying to help others without understanding the topic at all, thereby
misleading those that they "help").

But most people who quote the wisdom fail to understand it. This applies
to commonly quoted phrases in general, of course.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Ed Mullen

Travis Newbury wrote:
> On Dec 2, 3:17 am, Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Sometimes it's wise not to do anything about the things which
>> you can do nothing about.

> Uh, isn't that stating the obvious?

I don't think so. In fact, I think that's the purpose of the line; it
is not obvious to a lot of people.

One of my favorites is:

"Don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more." -
John Prine

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 12:26:20 GMT
Travis Newbury scribed:

> On Dec 2, 3:17 am, Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Sometimes it's wise not to do anything about the things which
>> you can do nothing about.

> Uh, isn't that stating the obvious?

Naw. People try to do impossible things all the time and just end up
feeling frustrated at the futility of their efforts. Of course the really
important idea here is in knowing what is impossible and what actually
isn't.

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 14:51:03 GMT
Jukka K. Korpela scribed:

> Scripsit Travis Newbury:
>
>> On Dec 2, 3:17 am, Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Sometimes it's wise not to do anything about the things which
>>> you can do nothing about.

>> Uh, isn't that stating the obvious?

> No, because people can do much harm in trying to do the impossible (like
> trying to help others without understanding the topic at all, thereby
> misleading those that they "help").

<grin>Touche!</grin> You really are a good conversationalist despite the
dogma. The blurb above doesn't make you right, of course, but I do enjoy
the repartee.

> But most people who quote the wisdom fail to understand it. This applies
> to commonly quoted phrases in general, of course.

Most people fail to understand most things, particularly those which they
have trouble comprehending. Look honestly at your record on human
nature...

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

dorayme

In article <Xns99FA8BEFB6812boneurhyphe@85.214.90.236>,
Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 12:26:20 GMT
> Travis Newbury scribed:
>
> > On Dec 2, 3:17 am, Bone Ur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Sometimes it's wise not to do anything about the things which
> >> you can do nothing about.

> > Uh, isn't that stating the obvious?

> ...Of course the really
> important idea here is in knowing what is impossible and what actually
> isn't.

"actually isn't"? Does this mean it is important to know what is
not quite impossible? Do you have the time to explore the
possible worlds that thoroughly? Are you seriously suggesting
others should?

Please don't answer. Just send me that one teensy weensy sample
scoop of your brain I have been pleading with you about for ages.
I have a whole lab here ready to go to work on it.

--
dorayme

Toby A Inkster

Robert Jones wrote:

> Which should I focus on keeping track of?

Both. Neither.

W3C XHTML 2.0 is not going to result in a new version of HTML suitable for
consumption on the WWW in the very near future. It may be useful for
internal use as an authoring format, and translated into another variety
of markup for browsers using XSLT.

WHATWG HTML 5 is more likely to bear fruit in the short term -- some
aspects like <video> and <canvas> are already starting to pop up in
experimental and even official builds of certain browsers.

Then there's a third effort: W3C HTML 5, which is basically the W3C's
admission that XHTML 2.0 is too bizzare to ever become an effective
successor to current versions of (X)HTML. Their draft specification is
currently identical to WHATWG HTML 5, but may start to diverge.

I've given my opinions on the developments here and here:
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/04/15/html5/
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/05/21/html5/

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 8 days, 17:47.]

Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/1...tunes-sharing/

XHTML2.0 guitar.is.good@gmail.com XML 3 05-27-2012 08:21 PM
HTML5 and HTTP pranay HTML 2 10-19-2009 10:16 AM
HTML5 Ganesh HTML 70 09-23-2009 05:19 PM
HTML5 vs. XHTML n0ctis HTML 4 08-18-2008 03:11 PM
XHTML2? UKuser HTML 12 05-21-2007 05:08 PM

Advertisments