Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Powerline ethernet

Reply
Thread Tools

Powerline ethernet

 
 
gene martinez
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2006
Has anyone used powerline ethernet? This is not power-over-ethernet.
This is just (2) units that let you use your AC outlets for an
ethernet cable. One side is connected to your network and the other
you plug your pc into.

Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
www.networking-forum.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2006
I've got these installed at home:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833314402

Easy setup, no problems, but I haven't tested throughput if that's an
issue for you.

Regards,
Steve
www.networking-forum.com


"gene martinez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone used powerline ethernet? This is not power-over-ethernet.
> This is just (2) units that let you use your AC outlets for an
> ethernet cable. One side is connected to your network and the other
> you plug your pc into.
>
> Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
thrill5
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2006
Be careful of using in-line power because the devices you are connecting
must be 802.11af compliant to use it. 7940 and 7960's are not 802.11af
compliant (They use the Cisco PoE standard) and will not work with in-line
power. The new 7941's and 7961's are 802.11af compliant and will work with
in-line power.

Scott

"gene martinez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone used powerline ethernet? This is not power-over-ethernet.
> This is just (2) units that let you use your AC outlets for an
> ethernet cable. One side is connected to your network and the other
> you plug your pc into.
>
> Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
 
gene martinez
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2006
"www.networking-forum.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've got these installed at home:
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833314402
>
> Easy setup, no problems, but I haven't tested throughput if that's an
>issue for you.
>

Thanks, I'll have a look..
 
Reply With Quote
 
gene martinez
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2006
"thrill5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Be careful of using in-line power because the devices you are connecting
>must be 802.11af compliant to use it. 7940 and 7960's are not 802.11af
>compliant (They use the Cisco PoE standard) and will not work with in-line
>power. The new 7941's and 7961's are 802.11af compliant and will work with
>in-line power.
>

I was thinking more of 2 units that allow you to use ethernet over AC
power. One unit connects to your network and the other you plug your
pc into..
 
Reply With Quote
 
thrill5
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2006
In that case... nevermind...

Scott
"gene martinez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "thrill5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Be careful of using in-line power because the devices you are connecting
>>must be 802.11af compliant to use it. 7940 and 7960's are not 802.11af
>>compliant (They use the Cisco PoE standard) and will not work with in-line
>>power. The new 7941's and 7961's are 802.11af compliant and will work
>>with
>>in-line power.
>>

> I was thinking more of 2 units that allow you to use ethernet over AC
> power. One unit connects to your network and the other you plug your
> pc into..



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Live HP-3000E 200Mbps Ethernet over Powerline Adapters Ian Front Page News 0 08-29-2008 08:20 AM
Powerline ethernet TT Computer Support 0 04-30-2004 10:07 PM
Powerline Ethernet Jim PKP Computer Support 7 03-02-2004 06:01 PM
Can 803 (ISDN-ethernet) work ethernet-ethernet? Peter Cisco 2 12-11-2003 11:24 PM
Charger Ansman powerline 6 Yves Digital Photography 5 07-13-2003 02:38 PM



Advertisments