Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Cannot access files over network

Re: Cannot access files over network

Chuck

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 05:09:03 -0800, dshan1061
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have one desktop and two laptops all running WinXP SP2 connected through a
>netgear wireless router and then to the internet through a cable modem
>supplied by the cable company. I can get to the internet from each computer
>just fine. I can share files between the desktop and laptop1 just fine.
>However, I can't share files with laptop2 from either of the other computers.
> I can see the desktop and laptop1 in the workgroup MSHOME from laptop2, but
>when I try to access them, it tells me the resource is not available. I
>can't see laptop2 from the desktop or laptop1. Laptop2 is running Norton
>Internet Security 2005.
>
>I've read a lot about disabling firewalls, ICF and some other things, but am
>HIGHLY confused (I'm the guy that paid the store to come set up our network).
> If I disable the firewalls to get the network to work, am I unprotected or
>do I have protection through the netgear router? I've read the tutorial at
>careyholzman.com, but wonder if it works the same with a wireless LAN. Any
>help would be appreciated (and if the solution involves "pinging", please say
>how... not too good with this stuff... but groups like this definitely make
>it easier). I would play with t myself, but if my wife couldn't get to the
>internet for some reason, I'd be in DEEP trouble! Thanks for any advice.

A NAT router (with or without SPI? You didn't give us a model number) will
protect you from hostile incoming traffic from the internet. Since you have a
wireless LAN, though, a personal firewall on each computer is also needed, to
protect you from your wireless neighbors. Please don't disable the firewalls -
enable them, and set them up properly.

In order to set your firewalls up properly, you should disable
Auto-Configuration, and manually assign a fixed ip address, on each computer.
Then configure Norton Personal Firewall on each computer, to allow file sharing
with each other computer, by placing the name or ip address of each computer
into the Trusted Zone.

Other ways to protect yourself from your wireless neighbors (use as many as
possible please - none of these are 100% immune to compromise):

Change the router management password, and disable remote (WAN) management.

Enable WEP (at least) / WPA (if possible) on the router, and on all computers.
Use non-trivial (non-guessable) values for encryption. (No "My dog has fleas").

Enable MAC filtering. Put the MAC for each computer into the table on the
router.

Change the subnet of your LAN - don't use the default.

Don't disable SSID broadcast - some configurations require the SSID broadcast.
But change the SSID itself - to something that doesn't identify you, or the
equipment.

Enable the router activity log. Examine it regularly. Know what each
connection listed represents - you? a neighbor?.

Use non-trivial accounts and passwords on every computer connected to a wireless
LAN. Disable or delete Guest userid, if possible (XP Home is a bad choice
here). Rename Administrator, to a non-trivial value, and give it a non-trivial
password. Never use the Administrator renamed account for day to day
activities, only when intentionally doing administrative tasks.

Stay educated - know what the threats are. Newsgroups alt.internet.wireless and
microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless are good places to start.

I'm cross posting this response to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless.
You'll probably find plenty of additional advice there. If you need details
about any of the items I listed above, please reply here any time.

--
Cheers,
Chuck