Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Compact Camera Recommendation?

Compact Camera Recommendation?

zenographer32xc@yahoo.com

What compact camera (7-10 MP, $200 range) like Sony DSC-W80, Olympus
FE280, Samsung NV10, Pentax Optio--I hope these give you pocket-sized
camera type I'm looking for--take the best image.

Please don't limit to the ones I've listed.

Thanks so much!

Joseph Meehan

I don't have good knowledge of the currently available cameras, but I
can offer some general suggestions.

Think about the kind of photos you now take or want to take.

Some people take a lot of photos of the family at home or vacations. In
general this kind of photography favors a wide angle lens. Some people will
photograph a lot of sports, this favors telephoto lenses.

A 5X or a 10X zoom does not tell you or me if that lens tends to handle
telephoto or wide angle well. It just means it has a large range, but that
range can be telephoto or wide angle. If you are taking a photo of people
around a table, telephoto is worthless as it is if you want to take a photo
of a mountain. Even though the mountain may be far away, it is big so you
need a wide angle. If you are in the stands at a football game and you want
to photograph your son or daughter, a telephoto is important.

People also often forget that we all have different hands. A camera
that fits my hands may prove to be rather awkward in your hands.

It pays to get the camera into your own hands and actually take a few
photos with it. It should feel comfortable to YOU.

Consider the view finder. Can YOU see it well. If not pass on that
camera. Check it out in a dimly lit area and in sun light.

Good Luck

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

AAvK

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What compact camera (7-10 MP, $200 range) like Sony DSC-W80, Olympus
> FE280, Samsung NV10, Pentax Optio--I hope these give you pocket-sized
> camera type I'm looking for--take the best image.
>
> Please don't limit to the ones I've listed.
>
> Thanks so much!

The Fujifilm digital cameras that have the super CCD HR do produce pictures with the
lowest "image noise" when sensor sensitivity is set to higher ISOs, than any other brand
out on the market. That includes Canon, Nikon and Olympus, and Sony. With a Fuji you
can set it to 800 and 1600 ISO and gain faster shutter speeds, and still get print quality
shots. But it must be a camera with a *Super CCD HR* in it, not all Fuji cameras have
them. You'll probably want to kick extra for the f50fd, which does 12 megapixels, less
than an inch thick so it's pocketable. It also has image stabilization via CCD shift, and
"i-flash", and "face detection 2" which is done by a hardware chip, very effective.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/digitalcamera/showcase.jsp

Good luck,

--
Giant_Alex }<)))*>
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Neil Harrington

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What compact camera (7-10 MP, $200 range) like Sony DSC-W80, Olympus
> FE280, Samsung NV10, Pentax Optio--I hope these give you pocket-sized
> camera type I'm looking for--take the best image.
>
> Please don't limit to the ones I've listed.

First, I would say that while it's OK to keep your choices to the "$200
range" or whatever, it's most likely a mistake to demand "7-10 MP." If
you're looking for an inexpensive pocket-sized camera you probably don't
really need 7 to 10 megapixels.

Realistically, how are you going to view the images? If you're going to have
4x6 prints made at a Wal-Mart machine or something like that, or view them
on a computer monitor, you don't need anything more than 2 MP. If you're
going to e-mail them to other people you don't even need that much. Since
nowadays you almost certainly couldn't find a new camera with as little as 2
MP even if you wanted to, I would forget about setting any lower limit on
resolution if I were you.

Using a much higher resolution than you really need in a pocket-sized camera
is likely to give you *poorer* image quality, not better, if there's any
noticeable difference at all. This is because cramming more pixels into the
very tiny sensors inevitably produces more electronic "noise." Manufacturers
apparently make these too-high-resolution models because too many consumers
think more megapixels means better pictures, and will choose them over
equally good or better models with lower resolution. Manufacturers will make
whatever customers want to buy, whether it makes any sense or not. The huge
tailfins on cars of the late '50s is just one example of this.

There are so many good pocket-sized digital cameras on the market today that
as long as you buy a major brand you probably won't go terribly wrong.
Practically all of them will give you very good image quality and as a
casual user you'd probably never be able to tell the difference between
them. I'd look for differences in other areas, such as the type of battery
the camera uses. Do you want one that uses AA cells that are available
everywhere, or a Li-Ion type which allows a smaller and flatter camera
design?

I'd insist on a camera that takes SD memory cards, because they are the
standard and are often available cheap, on sale and/or with rebates. For
this reason I'd avoid any Olympus or Fuji models that use xD-Picture cards.
Personally I like small cameras that have an optical viewfinder as well as
the LCD monitor, rather than one large LCD that takes up most of the back of
the camera, because the LCDs can be extremely hard to use in bright
sunlight. But other people apparently don't mind that and prefer the larger
LCD. This is something that unfortunately you'd have to judge by your own
experience, and can't take someone else' word for.

My own preference would be for something in the Nikon Coolpix line or the
Canon Sureshot line. I like Nikons better generally, but for a pocket-sized
camera I'd probably pick a Canon as long as it has an optical viewfinder --
which Nikon unfortunately has abandoned in its most recent very small
models.

Go to a store, look at and handle the different models and see what feels
good to you. Your nearest Wal-Mart probably has shelves full of 'em and a
good selection. Decide whether you want a simple camera for easy snapshots
or a more advanced model with a lot of features -- and try to be realistic
about this. Don't assume that you'll "grow into" a more advanced camera. If
you don't have real interest in the technology you'll probably never use the
advanced features. Actually even the simple cameras today may have more
features than you'll ever use.

Anyway, you can always buy another camera later. Almost all of us do.

Neil

Neil Harrington

"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> My own preference would be for something in the Nikon Coolpix line or the
> Canon Sureshot line.

Oops. Make that Canon PowerShot.

Neil

iws

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What compact camera (7-10 MP, $200 range) like Sony DSC-W80, Olympus
> FE280, Samsung NV10, Pentax Optio--I hope these give you pocket-sized
> camera type I'm looking for--take the best image.
>
> Please don't limit to the ones I've listed.
>
> Thanks so much!

Of the cameras you listed, Consumer Reports tested all but the Olympus. The
Sony was best of those three by a considerable margin. It bested the other
two in all four primary test categories: picture quality, battery life,
shutter lag and next shot delay. In fact, the Sony came in second in the
ratings of all the sub-compacts in the test (only the Sony DSC-N2 was
better.) CR also rated the Samsung L77 a "Best Buy".

As others have stated, you really need to assess your own needs and how the
camera feels. I'd echo the comment suggesting wide-angle capability trumps
telephoto in many situations. I also believe that an optical viewfinder is
an advantage in many situations. I like the swing out LCD on my Canon A620
but that's not a pocket camera.

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

> What compact camera (7-10 MP, $200 range) like Sony DSC-W80, Olympus
> FE280, Samsung NV10, Pentax Optio--I hope these give you pocket-sized
> camera type I'm looking for--take the best image.
>
> Please don't limit to the ones I've listed.
>
> Thanks so much!

Avoid the DSC-W80, poor image quality.

Avoid the FE-280, no optical viewfinder.

Avoid the NV-10, very noisy, and many other issues, including no optical
viewfinder (it's been replaced by the NV-11 which is likely no better).'

You didn't specify which Optio, but none of them are outstanding.

Get the Canon SD800IS, but it's a bit more at $240. Wide angle lens, and
optical viewfinder are two main advantages of it.

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Neil
Harrington says...
> I'd insist on a camera that takes SD memory cards

The type of memory card a camera uses couldn't be more irrelevant, given
that memory cards are dirt cheap these days.
--

Alfred Molon

Alfred Molon

In article <47519bdb$0$84165$(E-Mail Removed)>, SMS ???? ?
says...
> Avoid the FE-280, no optical viewfinder

Who cares about an optical viewfinder, which anyway on a compact will be
a tiny hole? It's better having a nice big screen and a viewfinder would
limit the screen size.
--

Alfred Molon

Jrgen Exner

Alfred Molon wrote:
> Neil Harrington says...
>> I'd insist on a camera that takes SD memory cards

> The type of memory card a camera uses couldn't be more irrelevant,
> given that memory cards are dirt cheap these days.

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. While other features are certainly more
important there is something to be said about memory cards, too.

With CF and SD you are getting a card that is manufactured by many companies
and that is so popular that even years from today you will be able to get a
replacement card.
With proprietary formats like memory sticks or similar you never know when
the _only_ manufacturer will simply stop producing them or even worse may
shut its doors all of a sudden.

And with SD you got the 2GB pain. Of course not unsurmountable, but with
cards larger than 2GB at least you need to make sure that they actually work
on your devices.

So, while I wouldn't base my selection of camera on the type of the memory
card it is still one small factor in the overall decision that might tip the
scale one way or the other.

jue