Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless modem stopped working

Wireless modem stopped working

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
May be this can Help to find what is wrong,
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Bohdan" <Bohdan @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ater managing to eradicate a number of Trojans on my laptop which manged
> kill my wireless connection, I am now trying to get wireless it up and
> running again.
>
> I have a WPCG54 Linksys on a Toshiba laptop running XP SP2. O've had no
> problems for years running wireless until this recent problem.
>
> In View Available Networks... it tells me.... qindows cannot configure
> this
> wilreless coonetion...... of you have enabled another program to manage
> this
> wireless connection use that software.
>
> Now, nothing has changed. I've tried uninstalling Linksys drivers etc.but
> cannot get past this message.
>
> Help,please.

Bohdan

Ater managing to eradicate a number of Trojans on my laptop which manged to
kill my wireless connection, I am now trying to get wireless it up and
running again.

I have a WPCG54 Linksys on a Toshiba laptop running XP SP2. O've had no
problems for years running wireless until this recent problem.

In View Available Networks... it tells me.... qindows cannot configure this
wilreless coonetion...... of you have enabled another program to manage this
wireless connection use that software.

Now, nothing has changed. I've tried uninstalling Linksys drivers etc.but
cannot get past this message.

Help,please.

Bohdan

I get a page not found.... btw. I have read many of the other threads here
and have gone through most if not all of that site a few days ago.

I uninstalled the Linkys software using add/remove. I then reinstalled the
drivers on my hard drive, plugged in the wireless card and let Windows look
for the drivers and install them. Nothing changed, When I select 'let windows
manage the modem'..... it seems to do so but changes nothing in the 'view
available networks'.... it still gives me the same message 'windows cannot
configure'.

If I try to 'start' WCZ I get err 1068

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> May be this can Help to find what is wrong,
> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Bohdan" <Bohdan @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ater managing to eradicate a number of Trojans on my laptop which manged
> > kill my wireless connection, I am now trying to get wireless it up and
> > running again.
> >
> > I have a WPCG54 Linksys on a Toshiba laptop running XP SP2. O've had no
> > problems for years running wireless until this recent problem.
> >
> > In View Available Networks... it tells me.... qindows cannot configure
> > this
> > wilreless coonetion...... of you have enabled another program to manage
> > this
> > wireless connection use that software.
> >
> > Now, nothing has changed. I've tried uninstalling Linksys drivers etc.but
> > cannot get past this message.
> >
> > Help,please.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If all the Network Setting checks OK, and right Now the only problem is that
you do not get a page when using a browser.
After cleaning "Junk"this process might be necessary.
http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Bohdan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).
>I get a page not found.... btw. I have read many of the other threads here
> and have gone through most if not all of that site a few days ago.
>
> I uninstalled the Linkys software using add/remove. I then reinstalled the
> drivers on my hard drive, plugged in the wireless card and let Windows
> look
> for the drivers and install them. Nothing changed, When I select 'let
> windows
> manage the modem'..... it seems to do so but changes nothing in the 'view
> available networks'.... it still gives me the same message 'windows cannot
> configure'.
>
> If I try to 'start' WCZ I get err 1068
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> May be this can Help to find what is wrong,
>> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/html
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Bohdan" <Bohdan @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Ater managing to eradicate a number of Trojans on my laptop which
>> > manged
>> > kill my wireless connection, I am now trying to get wireless it up and
>> > running again.
>> >
>> > I have a WPCG54 Linksys on a Toshiba laptop running XP SP2. O've had no
>> > problems for years running wireless until this recent problem.
>> >
>> > In View Available Networks... it tells me.... qindows cannot configure
>> > this
>> > wilreless coonetion...... of you have enabled another program to manage
>> > this
>> > wireless connection use that software.
>> >
>> > Now, nothing has changed. I've tried uninstalling Linksys drivers
>> > etc.but
>> > cannot get past this message.
>> >
>> > Help,please.

Bohdan

I ran the Winsock fix and the LSP fix (found nothng wrong).

No change.

Keep in mind, I have no problems with my hardwired connection on this
laptop. This is how I am able to make this post.

I am reluctant to run the stuff suggested further down on that part of the
page.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
It is nice that is ran well for years, but obviously some thing is wrong
Now.
Problem is that if it is Hardware problem there is No way to tell unless
another spare hardware is used to rule out hardware issues.
So there is No other choice but to try software setting and refreshing the
system, if it does not help you hopefully can borrow a Wireless card from a
friend to try. Otherwise you to take the financial risk and buy a second
Wireless card.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Bohdan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I ran the Winsock fix and the LSP fix (found nothng wrong).
>
> No change.
>
> Keep in mind, I have no problems with my hardwired connection on this
> laptop. This is how I am able to make this post.
>
> I am reluctant to run the stuff suggested further down on that part of the
> page.

Bohdan

The only thing I didn't do is reset TCP/IP... you seem to forget I have no
problem connecting to my router using the built in LAN card and accessing
this website, or any other, for that matter.

The modem config died when I got the infestation. None of the messages I get
suggest it is a hardware problem, although there is a very slim chance it is,
considering the timing and the symptoms.

I do not have access to another card, at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

"

Bohdan

Ok. I got it working again.

I downloaded and installed the Broadcom utility to manage wireless
connections. I'm up and running again.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Glad you made it work.
At this point, you probably do not want to "mess" the system.
However if you feel adventure you can try something.
Leave the Broadcom utility installed, just disable it from startup, and try
WZC.
Why? Some manufacturers combine their Wireless Utility with the drivers of
the card, thus when one uninstall the original utility in order to use WZC
it messes up the driver as well.