Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless appears to be connected..but doesn't actually send/receiv

Wireless appears to be connected..but doesn't actually send/receiv

=?Utf-8?B?c3Nha2h0YXIwMF8=?=

I'm sure this has been asked but I need some help..
I've been using wireless on my laptop for months but suddenly it has stopped
working. The connection is in the system tray and claims to be connected but
is not actually receiving or sending data. All my settings are correct and
I've tried rebooting and restarting modem/laptop but it doesn't seem to help.
Any ideas?
THanks

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF3bGVlbg==?=

I am having the same problem. My hard cable works but when I use the Wireless
it says I'm connected to the network but won't access the Internet. It did
work a few months ago but now doesn't. I downloaded an updated driver but
that didn't help either so you're not the only one with a problem.

"ssakhtar00_" wrote:

> I'm sure this has been asked but I need some help..
> I've been using wireless on my laptop for months but suddenly it has stopped
> working. The connection is in the system tray and claims to be connected but
> is not actually receiving or sending data. All my settings are correct and
> I've tried rebooting and restarting modem/laptop but it doesn't seem to help.
> Any ideas?
> THanks

Ted

"dawleen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am having the same problem. My hard cable works but when I use the
>Wireless
> it says I'm connected to the network but won't access the Internet. It did
> work a few months ago but now doesn't. I downloaded an updated driver but
> that didn't help either so you're not the only one with a problem.

No real solutions but a couple things you can try. Disconnect the power to
your wireless router for a couple of minutes. Then plug it back in.
Sometimes gets the connection going again. Another one to try is to go into
Services and stop your Wireless Zero Configuration and then restart it.
Hopefully one of these will get you going again.
Ted

James Gockel

Since you're saying it's not sending or receiving, I think something else is
at play here.
But the first thing you want to try is logging onto the router itself... see
if the issue is at your computer or at the router. open internet explorer
and type http://(your gateway's adress Normally 192.168.?.1)
If you can't get there, its probably your computer. You'll need to check
your wireless settings and make sure everything is set properly.
Right clicking on your wireless icon, and selecting repair should clear any
routing or arp problems.

If everything else doesnt work, you'll probably need to replace the wireless
card. My father had a wireless card that just stopped working a few weeks
ago. Then he realized, he doesnt even use it.
If this is too complicated you'll probably need someone who know's what they
are doing to look at it and fix it.
-James G.

"ssakhtar00_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm sure this has been asked but I need some help..
> I've been using wireless on my laptop for months but suddenly it has
> stopped
> working. The connection is in the system tray and claims to be connected
> but
> is not actually receiving or sending data. All my settings are correct and
> I've tried rebooting and restarting modem/laptop but it doesn't seem to
> help.
> Any ideas?
> THanks

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF3bGVlbg==?=

Thank you - I don't use the card at home ( where I am right now) so will have
to wait until I'm visiting my family to try the solution you've suggested.

"James Gockel" wrote:

> Since you're saying it's not sending or receiving, I think something else is
> at play here.
> But the first thing you want to try is logging onto the router itself... see
> if the issue is at your computer or at the router. open internet explorer
> and type http://(your gateway's adress Normally 192.168.?.1)
> If you can't get there, its probably your computer. You'll need to check
> your wireless settings and make sure everything is set properly.
> Right clicking on your wireless icon, and selecting repair should clear any
> routing or arp problems.
>
> If everything else doesnt work, you'll probably need to replace the wireless
> card. My father had a wireless card that just stopped working a few weeks
> ago. Then he realized, he doesnt even use it.
> If this is too complicated you'll probably need someone who know's what they
> are doing to look at it and fix it.
> -James G.
>

> "ssakhtar00_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm sure this has been asked but I need some help..
> > I've been using wireless on my laptop for months but suddenly it has
> > stopped
> > working. The connection is in the system tray and claims to be connected
> > but
> > is not actually receiving or sending data. All my settings are correct and
> > I've tried rebooting and restarting modem/laptop but it doesn't seem to
> > help.
> > Any ideas?
> > THanks

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF3bGVlbg==?=

Thank you. D

"Ted" wrote:

> "dawleen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am having the same problem. My hard cable works but when I use the
> >Wireless
> > it says I'm connected to the network but won't access the Internet. It did
> > work a few months ago but now doesn't. I downloaded an updated driver but
> > that didn't help either so you're not the only one with a problem.
> >

> No real solutions but a couple things you can try. Disconnect the power to
> your wireless router for a couple of minutes. Then plug it back in.
> Sometimes gets the connection going again. Another one to try is to go into
> Services and stop your Wireless Zero Configuration and then restart it.
> Hopefully one of these will get you going again.
> Ted

James Gockel

In your case, I'd try reseting the router. Generally by pressing the little
button on the back, you may need a pen or somthing to push it.
In this case you'll have to setup the router again...
Your router's security may have been comprimised, and you're just the but
end of a hack... which can be a teenager with a laptop scanning for networks
and changing security settings. After you've reset your router, try reading
this page and follow her instructions.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ebruary10.mspx

-James G.