Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connecting 2 laptops directly

Connecting 2 laptops directly

Shilps

HI,

I have 2 laptops, one which has Vista running on it and the other which has
XP running on it.

I configured XP system as the host and Vista as client using information at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
Now the two are connected. But when I ping the host computer it only shows
me two things- Public and Printers.

There are lot of folders that I have shared on the host, but they are simply
not visible.

What could be the problem?

TIA

Carol

I'm surely no expert when it comes to networking but In my opinion your
biggest problem is Vista; but you can check your software firewall and be
sure you have it setup to allow your computer access. You may need to find
the ip address of your computer and enter it manually. I had to do that with
some of my software firewall programs. This was after I went through the
network wizard to set up my network. I never was successful in getting Vista
to play nice with my XP computers.

The "bowman" in the url you listed is the only person I know that might have
suggestions that might help.

"Shilps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI,
>
> I have 2 laptops, one which has Vista running on it and the other which
> has
> XP running on it.
>
> I configured XP system as the host and Vista as client using information
> at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
> Now the two are connected. But when I ping the host computer it only shows
> me two things- Public and Printers.
>
> There are lot of folders that I have shared on the host, but they are
> simply
> not visible.
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> TIA

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

On the vista, type this command: net share. In the XP, type net view
\\vistahostname (replace vistahostname with the real computer name). compare
them or post here.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Shilps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI,
>
> I have 2 laptops, one which has Vista running on it and the other which
> has
> XP running on it.
>
> I configured XP system as the host and Vista as client using information
> at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
> Now the two are connected. But when I ping the host computer it only shows
> me two things- Public and Printers.
>
> There are lot of folders that I have shared on the host, but they are
> simply
> not visible.
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> TIA

How to connect 2 laptops directly using WIFI? =?Utf-8?B?Smlncw==?= Wireless Networking 2 01-08-2006 07:30 PM
Laptops,laptops Mark Computer Support 1 09-20-2004 05:10 AM
Connecting 2 CISCO routers directly amn Cisco 4 05-10-2004 11:19 AM
Preview image directly on PC, save directly to HD Patrick M. Digital Photography 3 01-07-2004 08:29 PM
Connecting 7960 IP phones directly to PC Pete Calvert Cisco 9 12-07-2003 04:44 PM

Advertisments