Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Home networking puzzle?!?

Home networking puzzle?!?

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9ya28=?=

Hi, everyone! I've been spending the past day trying to set up a small home
network, but without any success. After reading several articles at
mirosoft.com/support I finally found this link. So here is my problem:
I am trying to connect my desktop and laptop using a edged network. In other
words, my cable Internet connection is connected to a router, the desktop is
connected to the router via LAN and of course I use a wireless notebook
adaptor in order to connect my laptop to the router. Both computers have
Internet Connectivity. I just cannot connect them! I played for hours with
all the settings and the "home network wizzard". I ended in a strange
situation: my desktop computer displays both computers in "My Network
Places>Workgroup Computers", still when I try to access the laptop, access is
denied. My Notebook computer finds only itself in "My network
places>workgroup computers".
So I tried to ping the computers....what happened next is beyond my
comprehension: I could ping each computer from the other one. But I could not
ping any of the machines itself!Somebody please explain to me what happened!
I dont know what the problem is, so I am hoping to get some answers. It
might be essential mentioning that both computers are using Windows XP,
though the laptop has XP 2.Thax in advance!

Carey Holzman

follow the steps at www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"Borko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, everyone! I've been spending the past day trying to set up a small
> home
> network, but without any success. After reading several articles at
> mirosoft.com/support I finally found this link. So here is my problem:
> I am trying to connect my desktop and laptop using a edged network. In
> other
> words, my cable Internet connection is connected to a router, the desktop
> is
> connected to the router via LAN and of course I use a wireless notebook
> adaptor in order to connect my laptop to the router. Both computers have
> Internet Connectivity. I just cannot connect them! I played for hours with
> all the settings and the "home network wizzard". I ended in a strange
> situation: my desktop computer displays both computers in "My Network
> Places>Workgroup Computers", still when I try to access the laptop, access
> is
> denied. My Notebook computer finds only itself in "My network
> places>workgroup computers".
> So I tried to ping the computers....what happened next is beyond my
> comprehension: I could ping each computer from the other one. But I could
> not
> ping any of the machines itself!Somebody please explain to me what
> happened!
> I dont know what the problem is, so I am hoping to get some answers. It
> might be essential mentioning that both computers are using Windows XP,
> though the laptop has XP 2.Thax in advance!

Steve

I had that problem myself (spent two days on it!). Then
at 2am last night (this morning) I disabled the firewall
protection in Norton Internet Security and all was well.
Each machine could ping itself and access the workgroup.
After the network was sharing files & working as it should
I re-enabled the firewall and added the addresses it
should allow to the exception list.

So if you have NIS, Zone Alarm or Windows Firewall, try
temporarily dissabling it and see how you get on.

Regards,
Steve

=?Utf-8?B?Ym9ya28=?=

Steve, Thank you so much! This solved my problem instantly. I have NIS and
just did as you advised me. Take care, Borko