Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 6509 High Cpu Utilization

6509 High Cpu Utilization

330individual@gmail.com

Hi. We are having a problem with a 6509 and high cpu utilization.

The 6509 is running CAT OS, and running cat6000-sup2k8.8-2-2. The
issue is that the Switch will stop all telnet traffic to it as well as
kill to console connection. This lasts roughly 10 mins, once we gain
access to the switch again we see the following using show proc cpu

89.10% 28.84% 11.68% 0 L3Aging

It seems L3Aging is what is causing the high CPU utilization, the
switch however is still passing traffic. It seems to be the MLS Cache
that is getting dumped then refreshed.

Does anyone have a clue on what to look for ?

Thanks

Jesper Skriver

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 04:03:23 -0800 (PST), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi. We are having a problem with a 6509 and high cpu utilization.
>
> The 6509 is running CAT OS, and running cat6000-sup2k8.8-2-2. The
> issue is that the Switch will stop all telnet traffic to it as well as
> kill to console connection. This lasts roughly 10 mins, once we gain
> access to the switch again we see the following using show proc cpu
>
> 89.10% 28.84% 11.68% 0 L3Aging
>
> It seems L3Aging is what is causing the high CPU utilization, the
> switch however is still passing traffic. It seems to be the MLS Cache
> that is getting dumped then refreshed.
>
> Does anyone have a clue on what to look for ?

route flaps, which will cause you to purge all the flow entries
already programmed.

But you really really want to upgrade to IOS and run CEF on it
instead, so you get a away from cache/flow based routing.

--
Jesper Skriver, CCIE #5456