Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Configuring a second DI-524 wireless router within an existingwireless network

Configuring a second DI-524 wireless router within an existingwireless network

Sid B

Hi,

I have the following configuration:

Internet <---> ADSL modem <--LAN wire--> DI-524 wireless router <--
Wireless--> Laptop/PC

However, the DI-524 wireless router does not have the range we
expected (because of heavy concrete walls in the house). I have a
SECOND DI-524 router that I propose to place inbetween the first and
the laptop, as follows:

Internet <---> ADSL modem <--LAN wire--> FIRST DI-524 wireless router
<--**Wireless**--> SECOND DI-524 wireless router <--Wireless--> Laptop/
PC

My question to you is: how can I configure the SECOND DI-524 wireless
router in such a way that the entire wireless network appears
seamlessly connected. Just FYI, I cannot connect the second DI-524
wireless router with a LAN wire.

Thanks,
Sid

Bill Kearney

> Just FYI, I cannot connect the second DI-524
> wireless router with a LAN wire.

Can't? Or just don't want expend the effort? By the time you finish
diddling around with trying various Wifi bridging it'll make running wire
seem trivial. Pull the wire and setup the second router as an access point
on the same SSID. Much less hassle. There's also the option of using power
line ethernet devices to extend the network. Supposedly recent ones are
better.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
To connected Wirelessly two Wireless Router they have to be configured to
work as WDS. The Dl-524 can not be configure as WDS, you have to buy
Wireless Routers that support WDS or find if D-Link has an Extender that
Support WDS with the DI-524.
Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Sid B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have the following configuration:
>
> Internet <---> ADSL modem <--LAN wire--> DI-524 wireless router <--
> Wireless--> Laptop/PC
>
> However, the DI-524 wireless router does not have the range we
> expected (because of heavy concrete walls in the house). I have a
> SECOND DI-524 router that I propose to place inbetween the first and
> the laptop, as follows:
>
> Internet <---> ADSL modem <--LAN wire--> FIRST DI-524 wireless router
> <--**Wireless**--> SECOND DI-524 wireless router <--Wireless--> Laptop/
> PC
>
> My question to you is: how can I configure the SECOND DI-524 wireless
> router in such a way that the entire wireless network appears
> seamlessly connected. Just FYI, I cannot connect the second DI-524
> wireless router with a LAN wire.
>
> Thanks,
> Sid

criosusa

I'm looking to try same, found this
http://support.dlink.com/supportfaq/

Use router as Access Point / Switch
It is STRONGLY recommended that you do not use 2 routers. You may want to
return it and purchase an access point (wireless) or a hub/switch.

To use your router as an access point only, please follow the steps below:

Router A is the router you want to use as the router - connected to the modem.
Router B is the router you want to use an access point or switch.

Step 1 Do not use the WAN port on router B.

Step 2 Depending on your network setup, you may need to change the LAN IP
address of router B. The default is 192.168.0.1. If you are using another
router, DHCP server, or Internet connection sharing software, change the LAN
IP address of the router to an IP in your subnet (192.168.0.2). The LAN IP
address must be static.

Step 3 Disable DHCP on router B. To disable DHCP, go into the routers
configuration > Home > DHCP. Click Disable and then click apply.

To view the FAQ on how to set your IP address statically please visit:
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1053

hope this helps, i'll let you know