Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python vs pythonw

python vs pythonw

John Velman

New to mac. I have leopard. What's the difference between python and
pythonw? So far (which isn't very far) I can't tell the difference.

I have a small application using TKinter that I was working on under
Linux. Both python and pythonw run it, but on both it "stops
responding" (pinwheel of death) when I touch the vertical scrollbar.

Thanks,

John Velman

Martin v. L÷wis

> New to mac. I have leopard. What's the difference between python and
> pythonw? So far (which isn't very far) I can't tell the difference.

IIUC, pythonw is linked with the WindowManager library, so it can do
GUI operations; python can't.

> I have a small application using TKinter that I was working on under
> Linux.

X11 Tk or Aqua Tk? If Aqua Tk, this would contradict to my theory above.

Regards,
Martin

Ant

On Nov 30, 3:30 am, John Velman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> New to mac. I have leopard. What's the difference between python and
> pythonw? So far (which isn't very far) I can't tell the difference.
>
> I have a small application using TKinter that I was working on under
> Linux. Both python and pythonw run it, but on both it "stops
> responding" (pinwheel of death) when I touch the vertical scrollbar.

On Windows, python runs in console mode (and pops up a console window
if you're not executing the script from a console already), pythonw
runs the script as a background process. I'd imagine that it is the
same for the Mac, and I shouldn't think it has anything to do with
your problem here.

--
Ant.

has

On 30 Nov, 06:16, "Martin v. L÷wis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > New to mac. I have leopard. What's the difference between python and
> > pythonw? So far (which isn't very far) I can't tell the difference.

> IIUC, pythonw is linked with the WindowManager library, so it can do
> GUI operations; python can't.

True for Python 2.3.x and earlier. This limitation went away in 2.4,
however, and pythonw is now kept around solely for compatibility with
older scripts that still refer to it.

HTH

has
--