Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook Express 6 and newsgroups

Outlook Express 6 and newsgroups

joeflora01@gmail.com

First time user to new groups and I am using Outlook Express. When I
get to the part of clicking on the news group to download something, I
only get an email full of computer language. Someone told me I should
a light blue rubik's cube icon beside the listing in order for me to
down load it. My internet provider told me my computer is lacking that
feature but does not know how to get it. Can anybody help?

Thanks

ellis_jay

> First time user to new groups and I am using Outlook Express. When I
> get to the part of clicking on the news group to download something, I
> only get an email full of computer language. Someone told me I should
> a light blue rubik's cube icon beside the listing in order for me to
> down load it. My internet provider told me my computer is lacking that
> feature but does not know how to get it. Can anybody help?
>
> Thanks

Who is your Provider? Normally when clicking on newsgroups-after setting it
up in tools accounts your newsgroup provider- you then click on tools
newsgroups. It will download many groups. Then you pick what you want and
subscribe. Or type in the box a field of interest then choose from the ones
offered. Subscribe and ok it.

BEFORE BEFORE BEFORE you post to any group, set up your phony email address
in tools accounts news tab properties general tab where you place your news
server and your phony email address so you don't get hacked and tracked and
spammed

Then go to tools options security tab and place a check in do not allow
attachments to be opened

Then tools options read tab and pick a color in highlight watch
message...mine is red

then tools options send tab and put a check in plain text News Sending
Format

I don't think I missed anything. Other that issues of posting compliances
with RFC's. You may want to Google for OEfix for automatic fixing OE for
usenet which will take care of certain attributions of your post and replies
to it.... and the like.

--
A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his
government. ___Edward Abbey

richard

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:11:46 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> First time user to new groups and I am using Outlook Express. When I
> get to the part of clicking on the news group to download something, I
> only get an email full of computer language. Someone told me I should
> a light blue rubik's cube icon beside the listing in order for me to
> down load it. My internet provider told me my computer is lacking that
> feature but does not know how to get it. Can anybody help?
>
> Thanks

confused at first then I saw you are NOT using OE6 with this post.

I have no clues what this rubik's cube icon is implying. I have used OE for
years and never saw it.

newsgroup messages are not email. I'll assume you were probably in a group
that had word "binaries" in it right? Several reasons for that actually.
The reason for the computer language is because you opened part of a
message and OE does not know what to do with it. Unless I knew exactly
which message, in which group you clicked open, I can't really say for sure
what has happened. But it is nothing you did wrong. To newbees, that's you,
this is totally confusing. But after awhile you learn what's going on.

If you can, post the first few lines of the message, and the headers. In OE
press ctr+f3 (IIRC) copy and paste. Just down to the first few lines of the
message.

IzzouReddy

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:59:58 -0600, ellis_jay wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> First time user to new groups and I am using Outlook Express. When I
>> get to the part of clicking on the news group to download something, I
>> only get an email full of computer language. Someone told me I should
>> a light blue rubik's cube icon beside the listing in order for me to
>> down load it. My internet provider told me my computer is lacking that
>> feature but does not know how to get it. Can anybody help?
>>
>> Thanks

> Who is your Provider? Normally when clicking on newsgroups-after setting it
> up in tools accounts your newsgroup provider- you then click on tools
> newsgroups. It will download many groups. Then you pick what you want and
> subscribe. Or type in the box a field of interest then choose from the ones
> offered. Subscribe and ok it.
>
> BEFORE BEFORE BEFORE you post to any group, set up your phony email address
> in tools accounts news tab properties general tab where you place your news
> server and your phony email address so you don't get hacked and tracked and
> spammed
>
> Then go to tools options security tab and place a check in do not allow
> attachments to be opened
>
> Then tools options read tab and pick a color in highlight watch
> message...mine is red
>
> then tools options send tab and put a check in plain text News Sending
> Format
>
> I don't think I missed anything. Other that issues of posting compliances
> with RFC's. You may want to Google for OEfix for automatic fixing OE for
> usenet which will take care of certain attributions of your post and replies
> to it.... and the like.

<Piggybacked, as I don't have the original post>

The OP might need to look up "Combine & Decode" in the Help files for OE
or else get a REAL newsreader. Outlook Express doesn't perform well as a
newsreader for binaries.

Daave

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> First time user to new groups and I am using Outlook Express. When I
> get to the part of clicking on the news group to download something, I
> only get an email full of computer language. Someone told me I should
> a light blue rubik's cube icon beside the listing in order for me to
> down load it.

That would be Xnews, not Outlook Express.

This newsgroup would be a good place to start:

news.software.readers