Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Any freeware defragger that doesn't leave blank space on the disk?

Any freeware defragger that doesn't leave blank space on the disk?

Doc

I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
that doesn't?

Rgr

Doc wrote:
> I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
> than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
> leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
> that doesn't?

I ran jkdefrag and the first pass it made a lot of changes but left some
gaps. I ran it again and it filled the first of the disk with all the
data and no gaps, just one big empty wasteland toward the end of the disk.

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Doc wrote:
> > I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
> > than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
> > leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
> > that doesn't?

> I ran jkdefrag and the first pass it made a lot of changes but left some
> gaps. I ran it again and it filled the first of the disk with all the
> data and no gaps, just one big empty wasteland toward the end of the disk.

If you read about Defrag and implications of performance, having all the
files packed with no games is almost always a performance penalty due to
how things change as you continue to use the system.

JKDefrag has a method that will leave blank space between Directories,
Data and Large files.... That seems to be the optimal method.

--

Leythos - (E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 to email me)

Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS 1.COM
that create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a
look at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
http://forums.speedguide.net/archive.../t-223485.html all exposed
'exposed to kids'.

Rgr

Leythos wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Doc wrote:
>>> I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
>>> than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
>>> leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
>>> that doesn't?

>> I ran jkdefrag and the first pass it made a lot of changes but left some
>> gaps. I ran it again and it filled the first of the disk with all the
>> data and no gaps, just one big empty wasteland toward the end of the disk.

> If you read about Defrag and implications of performance, having all the
> files packed with no games is almost always a performance penalty due to
> how things change as you continue to use the system.
>
> JKDefrag has a method that will leave blank space between Directories,
> Data and Large files.... That seems to be the optimal method.

I'm not a big believer in defragging. In fact, I ran jkdefrag more as an
experiment. I have several computers that have never been defragged and
I can't really tell the difference in performance.

Plato

Doc wrote:

> I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
> than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
> leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
> that doesn't?

There is nothing wrong with the XP defragger. You are simply wasting
your time finding something new.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Leythos wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> I ran jkdefrag and the first pass it made a lot of changes but left some
> >> gaps. I ran it again and it filled the first of the disk with all the
> >> data and no gaps, just one big empty wasteland toward the end of the disk.

> > If you read about Defrag and implications of performance, having all the
> > files packed with no games is almost always a performance penalty due to
> > how things change as you continue to use the system.
> >
> > JKDefrag has a method that will leave blank space between Directories,
> > Data and Large files.... That seems to be the optimal method.

> I'm not a big believer in defragging. In fact, I ran jkdefrag more as an
> experiment. I have several computers that have never been defragged and
> I can't really tell the difference in performance.

And I can assure you that on a system that is badly fragmented that it
makes a huge difference. Not every person will benefit from it in a
manner they can feel, it's dependent on how you use your system, drive
space free, and fragmentation levels before you defrag.

--

Leythos - (E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 to email me)

Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS 1.COM
that create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a
look at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
http://forums.speedguide.net/archive.../t-223485.html all exposed
'exposed to kids'.

nobody >

Plato wrote:
> Doc wrote:
>> I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
>> than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
>> leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
>> that doesn't?

> There is nothing wrong with the XP defragger. You are simply wasting
> your time finding something new.

Xp's defrag takes at least 3 times longer (if there's any significant
fragmentation) than JKdefrag. Seems to lay out "tracks" for better seeks
as well.

http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/ (author's site)

Plato

nobody > wrote:

> >> I tried the Auslogics defragger and while it does seem to work faster
> >> than the default XP defrag utility, like the XP defragger it still
> >> leaves blank spaces. Is there any such thing as a freeware defragger
> >> that doesn't?

> > There is nothing wrong with the XP defragger. You are simply wasting
> > your time finding something new.

> Xp's defrag takes at least 3 times longer (if there's any significant
> fragmentation) than JKdefrag. Seems to lay out "tracks" for better seeks
> as well.

So what. Set defrag to run before you go out to do your wash.

Blinky the Shark

Plato wrote:

>> > There is nothing wrong with the XP defragger. You are simply wasting
>> > your time finding something new.

>> Xp's defrag takes at least 3 times longer (if there's any significant
>> fragmentation) than JKdefrag. Seems to lay out "tracks" for better seeks
>> as well.

> So what. Set defrag to run before you go out to do your wash.

This is a good example of the unfortunate (and spreading) attitude that
instead of the desire for and respect for tight code, efficiency and
compactness in software, the refrain becomes "I have lots of speed and
memory so **** software is fine with me".

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

VanguardLH

"nobody" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Xp's defrag takes at least 3 times longer (if there's any
> significant fragmentation) than JKdefrag.

Your computer is really that busy while you are sleeping?