Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Higher-end compact or SLR for me?

Higher-end compact or SLR for me?

Dan Lenski

Hi all,
I've been using an Olympus C-740 UZ for several years, and it's
showing its age. It's been a great first camera, and I'm a big fan of
the 10X optical zoom, but I'm tiring of its low resolution, no sound
for movies, electronic viewfinder, and long shutter lag.

I'm researching my options for a new one. On the one hand, I'm
tempted to go for something small enough to keep in my pocket. On the
other hand, I want good zoom and manual controls (for nature and
wildlife photos) and have been really dazzled by the photos one of my
friends gets from his Canon 350D SLR. And I'd like to be able to buy
something for $500-600 with lens.

* Canon PowerShot G9 - High-end compact, 6X optical zoom, can do good
movies... but dpreview.com is not impressed by its picture quality at
high ISO (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/)
* Canon EOS 400D - SLR, well-reviewed by dpreview.com, seems to be the
de facto standard, but it's pretty expensive and apparently the lens
kit is not so great (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/
page29.asp)
* Olympus E-410 - SLR, well-reviewed by dpreview.com, CHEAP compared
to Canon 400D, but not as good dynamic range (http://www.dpreview.com/
reviews/olympuse410/)

Anyone have any advice for how to decide one way or another? I'm sort
of leaning towards the Olympus E-410 right now since I could afford to
start out with a 14-42mm and 40-150mm lens kit. But possibly this is
overkill for me and I should be aiming for a compact? Is there
anything similar in size and features to the G9 that I should
consider? Thanks for any help.

Dan

Steve Dell

regarding the G9, I would not be taking pictures with ISO setting above 400.
You'll be fine.
"Dan Lenski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> I've been using an Olympus C-740 UZ for several years, and it's
> showing its age. It's been a great first camera, and I'm a big fan of
> the 10X optical zoom, but I'm tiring of its low resolution, no sound
> for movies, electronic viewfinder, and long shutter lag.
>
> I'm researching my options for a new one. On the one hand, I'm
> tempted to go for something small enough to keep in my pocket. On the
> other hand, I want good zoom and manual controls (for nature and
> wildlife photos) and have been really dazzled by the photos one of my
> friends gets from his Canon 350D SLR. And I'd like to be able to buy
> something for $500-600 with lens.
>
> * Canon PowerShot G9 - High-end compact, 6X optical zoom, can do good
> movies... but dpreview.com is not impressed by its picture quality at
> high ISO (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/)
> * Canon EOS 400D - SLR, well-reviewed by dpreview.com, seems to be the
> de facto standard, but it's pretty expensive and apparently the lens
> kit is not so great (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/
> page29.asp)
> * Olympus E-410 - SLR, well-reviewed by dpreview.com, CHEAP compared
> to Canon 400D, but not as good dynamic range (http://www.dpreview.com/
> reviews/olympuse410/)
>
> Anyone have any advice for how to decide one way or another? I'm sort
> of leaning towards the Olympus E-410 right now since I could afford to
> start out with a 14-42mm and 40-150mm lens kit. But possibly this is
> overkill for me and I should be aiming for a compact? Is there
> anything similar in size and features to the G9 that I should
> consider? Thanks for any help.
>
> Dan

Scott W

Dan Lenski wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been using an Olympus C-740 UZ for several years, and it's
> showing its age. It's been a great first camera, and I'm a big fan of
> the 10X optical zoom, but I'm tiring of its low resolution, no sound
> for movies, electronic viewfinder, and long shutter lag.
>
> I'm researching my options for a new one. On the one hand, I'm
> tempted to go for something small enough to keep in my pocket. On the
> other hand, I want good zoom and manual controls (for nature and
> wildlife photos) and have been really dazzled by the photos one of my
> friends gets from his Canon 350D SLR. And I'd like to be able to buy
> something for $500-600 with lens.
>
> * Canon PowerShot G9 - High-end compact, 6X optical zoom, can do good
> movies... but dpreview.com is not impressed by its picture quality at
> high ISO (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/)
> * Canon EOS 400D - SLR, well-reviewed by dpreview.com, seems to be the
> de facto standard, but it's pretty expensive and apparently the lens
> kit is not so great (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/
> page29.asp)
> * Olympus E-410 - SLR, well-reviewed by dpreview.com, CHEAP compared
> to Canon 400D, but not as good dynamic range (http://www.dpreview.com/
> reviews/olympuse410/)
>
> Anyone have any advice for how to decide one way or another? I'm sort
> of leaning towards the Olympus E-410 right now since I could afford to
> start out with a 14-42mm and 40-150mm lens kit. But possibly this is
> overkill for me and I should be aiming for a compact? Is there
> anything similar in size and features to the G9 that I should
> consider? Thanks for any help.

You really should do more then just look at review, it would be a very
good idea to try a number of the cameras you are looking at. For me
using a DSLR is not just about better images, it is also a lot more fun
to use, at least for me.

The Olympus might not be getting great marks for dynamic range but it
will still be far better then any compact camera.

Scott

Daniel Lenski

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:19:14 -1000, Scott W wrote:
> You really should do more then just look at review, it would be a very
> good idea to try a number of the cameras you are looking at. For me
> using a DSLR is not just about better images, it is also a lot more fun
> to use, at least for me.
>
> The Olympus might not be getting great marks for dynamic range but it
> will still be far better then any compact camera.
>
> Scott

Thanks Scott!

I do plan to go try them out soon. I have already used the Canon 350D and
enjoyed it a lot, had a great feel and easy to use for me. I definitely
want to try the Olympus E-410 in person, because I've heard it may be
slightly awkward for someone with large hands. So pretty much no
comparison between the dynamic range of a compact and an SLR? Very
tempting...

Thanks,
Dan

ray

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:01:12 -0800, Dan Lenski wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've been using an Olympus C-740 UZ for several years, and it's
> showing its age. It's been a great first camera, and I'm a big fan of
> the 10X optical zoom, but I'm tiring of its low resolution, no sound
> for movies, electronic viewfinder, and long shutter lag.
>
> I'm researching my options for a new one. On the one hand, I'm
> tempted to go for something small enough to keep in my pocket. On the
> other hand, I want good zoom and manual controls (for nature and
> wildlife photos) and have been really dazzled by the photos one of my
> friends gets from his Canon 350D SLR. And I'd like to be able to buy
> something for $500-600 with lens.
>
> * Canon PowerShot G9 - High-end compact, 6X optical zoom, can do good
> movies... but dpreview.com is not impressed by its picture quality at
> high ISO (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/)
> * Canon EOS 400D - SLR, well-reviewed by dpreview.com, seems to be the
> de facto standard, but it's pretty expensive and apparently the lens
> kit is not so great (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/
> page29.asp)
> * Olympus E-410 - SLR, well-reviewed by dpreview.com, CHEAP compared
> to Canon 400D, but not as good dynamic range (http://www.dpreview.com/
> reviews/olympuse410/)
>
> Anyone have any advice for how to decide one way or another? I'm sort
> of leaning towards the Olympus E-410 right now since I could afford to
> start out with a 14-42mm and 40-150mm lens kit. But possibly this is
> overkill for me and I should be aiming for a compact? Is there
> anything similar in size and features to the G9 that I should
> consider? Thanks for any help.
>
> Dan

You seem to be outlining two different sets of requirements - sounds to me
like you'd really like two cameras. A P&S to pack around most of the time,
and a DSLR when you're 'more serious' about it.

Daniel Lenski

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:24:33 -0700, ray wrote:
> You seem to be outlining two different sets of requirements - sounds to
> me like you'd really like two cameras. A P&S to pack around most of the
> time, and a DSLR when you're 'more serious' about it.

Yeah, I expect I will keep the Olympus C-740 UZ... and I have a little
credit-card-cam as well which is okay for casual snapshots. At this point
I'll say I'm going for DSLR at this point, since it seems I'll be
disappointed by anything less.

My good options are the Nikon D40, Canon EOS 350D or 400D, and Olympus
E410 or E510, I think.

The advice I keep getting is to focus on availability of good lenses.
Which makes the Canons come out way ahead, I gather. And apparently the
number of autofocus-capable lenses for the Nikon is fairly small. One
other thing is that I have heard the inexpensive kit lenses that come with
the Olympus (14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 & 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zuiko Digital Lenses)
are much better than the Canons. Which makes me lean towards the Olympus
more.

What do you think about the prospects of the 4/3 Olympus lens system?
Will I have better choice in a year or 5 if I get really serious?

Thanks,
Dan

Our Low Price: $529.00

Shipping Quote Tell a Friend
Everything we sell is BRAND NEW and FACTORY FRESH *
Everything we sell comes with a full US WARRANTY *
Low flat rate shipping
* = Unless otherwise specified

For Quicker Processing Place Your Order Online!!

Receive a Free Digital Flash , Full Size Tripod , Lens Cleaning Kit , LCD
Screen Cover & 512MB Pen Drive w/Your Order

Free MP4 Player w/Ear Phone, Digital Flash & Free Upgrade To Express
Shipping w/Any Package Purchase!

nospam

In article <94L3j.4764$(E-Mail Removed)>, Daniel
Lenski <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The advice I keep getting is to focus on availability of good lenses.
> Which makes the Canons come out way ahead, I gather. And apparently the
> number of autofocus-capable lenses for the Nikon is fairly small.

where did you get that idea? there's plenty of autofocus lenses for
nikon and both nikon and canon have similar lineups. the d40 will
autofocus with a subset of all nikon autofocus lenses (but will work
with more manual focus lenses), and as of right now there are over 40
different lenses from which to choose for the d40.

Mr. Strat

Lenski <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My good options are the Nikon D40, Canon EOS 350D or 400D, and Olympus
> E410 or E510, I think.

Go with the Nikon or the Canon. Jeez...why waste money on something
less?

Daniel Lenski

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:36:13 -0800, Mr. Strat wrote:

>> My good options are the Nikon D40, Canon EOS 350D or 400D, and Olympus
>> E410 or E510, I think.

> Go with the Nikon or the Canon. Jeez...why waste money on something
> less?

Something less?

David J Taylor

ray wrote:
[]
> You seem to be outlining two different sets of requirements - sounds
> to me like you'd really like two cameras. A P&S to pack around most
> of the time, and a DSLR when you're 'more serious' about it.

Dan,

For the compact but versatile, I have been pleased with the Panasonic TZ3:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

David