Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > malloc realloc and pointers

malloc realloc and pointers

cr88192

"santosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:firurt$kjv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> cr88192 wrote:
>

>> "CBFalconer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> cr88192 wrote:
>>>>
>>> ... snip ...

>>> Now try the effect of being born in the early '30s.
>>>

>> your case, or hypothetical?...

> <snip>
>
>> but, in time, my life will end, and I wonder if I will ever have much
>> of anything to show for having existed.
>> what of all the people younger than me possible making more impressive
>> achievements?...
>> one gets overrun and one gets replaced...
>>
>> like middle or high schoolers or such who can pull off maybe 200 or
>> 300 kloc/year or more?...
>> maybe they can write impressive stuff, or make interesting
>> discoveries?...
>>
>> it has been much of a year, and my compiler has not even broken 100
>> kloc yet.
>>
>> taking my average rate calculated earlier this year, and estimating
>> for a full year, it comes out to about 100kloc/year, which is probably
>> rather lame...

> Believe it or not you still seem to be _far_ above average with regards
> to programming, for someone of such youth. It _very_ impressive for
> someone of 25 years of age to have written multiple compilers and GCs.

actually, I am still 23, I will be turning 24 at the end of this month.
but, yeah, I think sometimes I have inferiority issues...
(among many other things).

so, yes, ok.
I am obsessive I guess.

cr88192

"CBFalconer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> cr88192 wrote:
>>

> ... snip ...
>>
>> I remember when I was back in HS or so and heard about x86-64 (I
>> was like, cool, a 64 bit chip that there is actually reason to
>> use...), but it took so long in comming out, me getting one, and
>> am still waiting for good OS support, ...

> Well, it looks like you are using Microsoft junk, and they will
> never produce a good OS. I suspect that moving to Linux will
> rapidly satisfy you.
> </BLAST>

well, there was a time when I used to use mostly Linux.
one major reason I am still stuck with windows now is network-card related.

actually, it is mostly just my WiFi, and I have parents that have some
bizarre aversion to network wires...
WiFi is good for some things, but it sucks when used as a primary network...

it sucks that it is slow.
it sucks having to get stupid drivers to work.
it sucks for failing pretty much every time someone uses the microwave.

so, good for laptops, not so good for other things.
seeing Cat5 cables is a reasonable tradeoff IMO...

> <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
> Try the download section.

Ben Bacarisse

Jack Klein <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:50:38 +0100 (CET), ravi <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in comp.lang.c:

<snip>
>> int *variable, value;
>> *((long*)variable)++ = value;

> This is not legal C code. The cast generates an rvalue, and the post
> increment operator cannot be applied to lvalues.

Of course you mean either "can only be applied to lvalues" or "cannot
be applied to rvalues" -- clearly a typo but it seems worth clearing
up.

--
Ben.