Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > About Irfanview 4.00

About Irfanview 4.00

mianileng@yahoo.com

I've always been a fan of Irfanview, but there are two things I
don't like about v4.00.

1. When I do a precise crop of a large picture, I usually prefer
not to zoom out because zooming out reduces precision. My usual
practice is to draw the crop rectangle in the visible window and
then resize the crop area as necessary. If the desired crop area
is larger than the window (as it often is), I pull out one side
so that the opposite crop border scrolls out of the visible
window. But with v4.00, the opposite side often (but not always)
adjusts itself automatically to remain at the edge of the view
window. Then I have to slide the scroll bar, go back to the
opposite side, and pull it out again. Sometimes I have to repeat
the process more than once. I am aware that it is possible to
enter a predetermined crop size, but this is not always
convenient or applicable - the desired crop area often depends
on picture content rather than its dimensions in pixels.

2. When I want to view basic picture information and then EXIF
data, I use the shortcut keys 'i' and then 'e'. With pre-4.00
versions, pressing 'Enter' twice closes the two information
windows in sequence. Now the EXIF data window no longer exits by
pressing Enter. I know this is a minor matter as the Escape key
does the same job, but I wonder why Irfan thought it was better
to change it ?

The first point is the reason why I'm going back to v3.99. I
just can't get used to it even after using 4.00 for the past
several months. Does anyone know if there's a way to avoid it ?

frederick

> I've always been a fan of Irfanview, but there are two things I
> don't like about v4.00.
>
> 1. When I do a precise crop of a large picture, I usually prefer
> not to zoom out because zooming out reduces precision. My usual
> practice is to draw the crop rectangle in the visible window and
> then resize the crop area as necessary. If the desired crop area
> is larger than the window (as it often is), I pull out one side
> so that the opposite crop border scrolls out of the visible
> window. But with v4.00, the opposite side often (but not always)
> adjusts itself automatically to remain at the edge of the view
> window. Then I have to slide the scroll bar, go back to the
> opposite side, and pull it out again. Sometimes I have to repeat
> the process more than once. I am aware that it is possible to
> enter a predetermined crop size, but this is not always
> convenient or applicable - the desired crop area often depends
> on picture content rather than its dimensions in pixels.

You might like Gimp for this.
Slide the mouse cursor across the rulers to drag "guides" and position
them precisely when zoomed in. (ie 2 vertical & 2 horizontal guides)
Shortcut keys Ctrl|Shift|e re-zoom image to fit in window.
Rectangle select then "snaps" to position of guides for accurate
cropping (same as for photoshop - but free).

irwell

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:11:46 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I've always been a fan of Irfanview, but there are two things I
>don't like about v4.00.

My latest download was v4.10, it's a winner, especially the new
included filters.

mianileng@yahoo.com

On Nov 30, 2:27 am, irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:11:46 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >I've always been a fan of Irfanview, but there are two things I
> >don't like about v4.00.

> My latest download was v4.10, it's a winner, especially the new
> included filters.

I didn't know 4.10 was out. I'll d/l it tomorrow. I'm on
dial-up and it's 3:00 am here now. Thanks for the info.

Keith nuttle

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I've always been a fan of Irfanview, but there are two things I
> don't like about v4.00.
>
> 1. When I do a precise crop of a large picture, I usually prefer
> not to zoom out because zooming out reduces precision. My usual
> practice is to draw the crop rectangle in the visible window and
> then resize the crop area as necessary. If the desired crop area
> is larger than the window (as it often is), I pull out one side
> so that the opposite crop border scrolls out of the visible
> window. But with v4.00, the opposite side often (but not always)
> adjusts itself automatically to remain at the edge of the view
> window. Then I have to slide the scroll bar, go back to the
> opposite side, and pull it out again. Sometimes I have to repeat
> the process more than once. I am aware that it is possible to
> enter a predetermined crop size, but this is not always
> convenient or applicable - the desired crop area often depends
> on picture content rather than its dimensions in pixels.
>
> 2. When I want to view basic picture information and then EXIF
> data, I use the shortcut keys 'i' and then 'e'. With pre-4.00
> versions, pressing 'Enter' twice closes the two information
> windows in sequence. Now the EXIF data window no longer exits by
> pressing Enter. I know this is a minor matter as the Escape key
> does the same job, but I wonder why Irfan thought it was better
> to change it ?
>
> The first point is the reason why I'm going back to v3.99. I
> just can't get used to it even after using 4.00 for the past
> several months. Does anyone know if there's a way to avoid it ?

Change the view options. Go to view --> display options ----> don't fit
anything.

I think this will solve your problem. Irfanview is to good a program to
give up on.

--
Keith Nuttle
3110 Marquette Court

Matt Ion

frederick wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I've always been a fan of Irfanview, but there are two things I
>> don't like about v4.00.
>>
>> 1. When I do a precise crop of a large picture, I usually prefer
>> not to zoom out because zooming out reduces precision. My usual
>> practice is to draw the crop rectangle in the visible window and
>> then resize the crop area as necessary. If the desired crop area
>> is larger than the window (as it often is), I pull out one side
>> so that the opposite crop border scrolls out of the visible
>> window. But with v4.00, the opposite side often (but not always)
>> adjusts itself automatically to remain at the edge of the view
>> window. Then I have to slide the scroll bar, go back to the
>> opposite side, and pull it out again. Sometimes I have to repeat
>> the process more than once. I am aware that it is possible to
>> enter a predetermined crop size, but this is not always
>> convenient or applicable - the desired crop area often depends
>> on picture content rather than its dimensions in pixels.
> >

> You might like Gimp for this.
> Slide the mouse cursor across the rulers to drag "guides" and position
> them precisely when zoomed in. (ie 2 vertical & 2 horizontal guides)
> Shortcut keys Ctrl|Shift|e re-zoom image to fit in window.
> Rectangle select then "snaps" to position of guides for accurate
> cropping (same as for photoshop - but free).

GIMP is sort of overkill for that... Irfanview's main advantage is that
it's small and fast. It would be like using a dump truck instead of a
pickup to haul a couple bags of trash.

IrfanView Moody Marco Computer Support 29 04-24-2004 11:29 PM
Irfanview Dark Angel Computer Support 5 09-26-2003 07:59 PM
Attn: New version IrfanView FYI :) Boomer.. Computer Support 14 09-04-2003 10:30 PM
How do you get copyright symbol in a picture using Irfanview? GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net Computer Support 3 09-03-2003 12:22 AM
Re - Mike / Re - Irfanview Raine Computer Support 90 09-01-2003 06:36 PM

Advertisments