Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 2948G-L3 Configuration Question

Cisco 2948G-L3 Configuration Question

tman

We use a Cisco 2948G-L3 as our backbone. I purchased another one as a
spare. I wanted to try loading the configuration file via tftp server
on the spare. The configuration file loaded just fine but I found
that non of the 48 10/100 ports were up. I had to go to any port I
wanted to use and do a no shut.

Is this normal? If so, is there a way to no shut all the ports at the
same time?

Thanks

Trendkill

On Nov 29, 12:02 pm, tman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We use a Cisco 2948G-L3 as our backbone. I purchased another one as a
> spare. I wanted to try loading the configuration file via tftp server
> on the spare. The configuration file loaded just fine but I found
> that non of the 48 10/100 ports were up. I had to go to any port I
> wanted to use and do a no shut.
>
> Is this normal? If so, is there a way to no shut all the ports at the
> same time?
>
> Thanks

If the ios will support the range command, the answer is yes. Not
sure on the 2948s, all comes down to how modern the code is.

int range fastethernet (or gigabitethernet) 0/1 - 48
no shut

tman

On Nov 29, 9:53 am, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 12:02 pm, tman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > We use a Cisco 2948G-L3 as our backbone. I purchased another one as a
> > spare. I wanted to try loading the configuration file via tftp server
> > on the spare. The configuration file loaded just fine but I found
> > that non of the 48 10/100 ports were up. I had to go to any port I
> > wanted to use and do a no shut.

> > Is this normal? If so, is there a way to no shut all the ports at the
> > same time?

> > Thanks

> If the ios will support the range command, the answer is yes. Not
> sure on the 2948s, all comes down to how modern the code is.
>
> int range fastethernet (or gigabitethernet) 0/1 - 48
> no shut

Shouldn't the configuration that I uploaded from the tftp server do a
no shut on all the ports? It was a running-configuration from the
other 2948G-L3.

Thanks

Trendkill

On Nov 29, 2:33 pm, tman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 9:53 am, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 29, 12:02 pm, tman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > We use a Cisco 2948G-L3 as our backbone. I purchased another one as a
> > > spare. I wanted to try loading the configuration file via tftp server
> > > on the spare. The configuration file loaded just fine but I found
> > > that non of the 48 10/100 ports were up. I had to go to any port I
> > > wanted to use and do a no shut.

> > > Is this normal? If so, is there a way to no shut all the ports at the
> > > same time?

> > > Thanks

> > If the ios will support the range command, the answer is yes. Not
> > sure on the 2948s, all comes down to how modern the code is.

> > int range fastethernet (or gigabitethernet) 0/1 - 48
> > no shut

> Shouldn't the configuration that I uploaded from the tftp server do a
> no shut on all the ports? It was a running-configuration from the
> other 2948G-L3.
>
> Thanks

"No shut" doesn't show in the running or startup config text, and you
probably had a default config of shutdown. Not sure how to change
that on an IOS switch, but I'm sure there is a way. Else range works
great.

tman

On Nov 29, 12:02 pm, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2:33 pm, tman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > If the ios will support the range command, the answer is yes. Not
> > > sure on the 2948s, all comes down to how modern the code is.

> > > int range fastethernet (or gigabitethernet) 0/1 - 48
> > > no shut

> > Shouldn't the configuration that I uploaded from the tftp server do a
> > no shut on all the ports? It was a running-configuration from the
> > other 2948G-L3.

> > Thanks

> "No shut" doesn't show in the running or startup config text, and you
> probably had a default config of shutdown. Not sure how to change
> that on an IOS switch, but I'm sure there is a way. Else range works
> great.- Hide quoted text -

There is no range command in this version of IOS.

tman

On Nov 29, 1:47 pm, tman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 12:02 pm, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Shouldn't the configuration that I uploaded from the tftp server do a
> > > no shut on all the ports? It was a running-configuration from the
> > > other 2948G-L3.

> > > Thanks

> > "No shut" doesn't show in the running or startup config text, and you
> > probably had a default config of shutdown. Not sure how to change
> > that on an IOS switch, but I'm sure there is a way. Else range works
> > great.- Hide quoted text -

> There is no range command in this version of IOS.- Hide quoted text -

I guess the real question is if the configuration on our production
2948G-L3 boots and all the ports are not in a shutdown state, why,
when I download the same configuration to my spare 2948G all the
interfaces in a shutdown state?

Thanks

Peter

Greetings,

> I guess the real question is if the configuration on our production
> 2948G-L3 boots and all the ports are not in a shutdown state, why,
> when I download the same configuration to my spare 2948G all the
> interfaces in a shutdown state?

It all depends on the last saved status of the H/W.

After loading the required config, unshut all required ports then SAVE
the config on the same platform again and all subseqent power up's
will use the last SAVED status of the ports

Cheers.................pk.

--
Peter from Auckland.

tman

On Nov 29, 11:48 pm, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> > I guess the real question is if the configuration on our production
> > 2948G-L3 boots and all the ports are not in a shutdown state, why,
> > when I download the same configuration to my spare 2948G all the
> > interfaces in a shutdown state?

> It all depends on the last saved status of the H/W.
>
> After loading the required config, unshut all required ports then SAVE
> the config on the same platform again and all subseqent power up's
> will use the last SAVED status of the ports
>
> Cheers.................pk.
>
> --
> Peter from Auckland.

Thanks PK. I stumbled on that awful truth yesterday. Looks like
there is no getting around it.

Tman

tman

On Nov 30, 8:25 am, tman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 11:48 pm, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Greetings,

> > > I guess the real question is if the configuration on our production
> > > 2948G-L3 boots and all the ports are not in a shutdown state, why,
> > > when I download the same configuration to my spare 2948G all the
> > > interfaces in a shutdown state?

> > It all depends on the last saved status of the H/W.

> > After loading the required config, unshut all required ports then SAVE
> > the config on the same platform again and all subseqent power up's
> > will use the last SAVED status of the ports

> > Cheers.................pk.

> > --
> > Peter from Auckland.

> Thanks PK. I stumbled on that awful truth yesterday. Looks like
> there is no getting around it.
>
> Tman- Hide quoted text -

There is a really neat way of running a "no shut" on all the ports.
You create a text file like the following:

int fasteth1
no shut
exit
int fasteth2
no shut
exit
int fasteth3
no shut
exit
int fasteth4
no shut
exit
int fasteth5
no shut
exit
int fasteth6
no shut
exit
int fasteth7
no shut
exit
int fasteth8
no shut
exit

int fasteth46
no shut
exit
int fasteth47
no shut
exit
int fasteth48
no shut
exit
int gigabiteth49
no shut
exit
int gigabiteth50
no shut
end

Now you copy it from a TFTP server to the runnng-configuration.