Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Problem with .asx/WMP in Firefox 1.0.7

Problem with .asx/WMP in Firefox 1.0.7

Christopher Bogart

Some time ago in IE, I deleted items in "View Objects" under Internet
Options.

Since that time, I've been unable to view video files on several
websites in IE & Firefox using MP 9/10. I've tested different sites. For
example, Foxnews.com works with both. Neither work for CNN & Amazon.

Right clicking, then error details shows:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol
is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL dialog box, try
using a different transport protocol (for example, "http:" or "rtsp:").

Another error:

Windows Media Player cannot play any items in the playlist. For
additional information, right-click an item that cannot be played, and
then click Error Details.

Here's my info:

XP Professional (SP1a)
Firefox 1.0.7 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7)
Extensions: Chromedit 0.1.1.1
Media Player 10

The Active X & Media player plug-in do test successfully from
http://members.aol.com/jrzycrim01/mo...wmpaxtest.html. The
Windows Media Player 9.0 registry patch is installed.

I also tried installing FF 1.5.0.1, but couldn't even get it to launch
stating that I already had a browser open and I had to close it to
continue. So I'm back to 1.0.7

I've been told I may need to re-register the non-working protocol.

Regedit already has .asx there. So the re-register of .asx should look like?

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx]
@="URL:.asx"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe\" \"%1\""

FYI: I was able on one site to copy the .asx url, copy it to the browser
and play it with mplayer2.exe, not wmplayer.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Moz Champion (Dan)

Christopher Bogart wrote:
> Some time ago in IE, I deleted items in "View Objects" under Internet
> Options.
>
> Since that time, I've been unable to view video files on several
> websites in IE & Firefox using MP 9/10. I've tested different sites.
> For example, Foxnews.com works with both. Neither work for CNN & Amazon.
>
> Right clicking, then error details shows:
>
> Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified
> protocol is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL dialog
> box, try using a different transport protocol (for example, "http:" or
> "rtsp:").
>
> Another error:
>
> Windows Media Player cannot play any items in the playlist. For
> additional information, right-click an item that cannot be played, and
> then click Error Details.
>
> Here's my info:
>
> XP Professional (SP1a)
> Firefox 1.0.7 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
> rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7)
> Extensions: Chromedit 0.1.1.1
> Media Player 10
>
> The Active X & Media player plug-in do test successfully from
> http://members.aol.com/jrzycrim01/mo...wmpaxtest.html. The
> Windows Media Player 9.0 registry patch is installed.
>
> I also tried installing FF 1.5.0.1, but couldn't even get it to launch
> stating that I already had a browser open and I had to close it to
> continue. So I'm back to 1.0.7
>
> I've been told I may need to re-register the non-working protocol.
>
> Regedit already has .asx there. So the re-register of .asx should look
> like?
>
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx]
> @="URL:.asx"
> "URL Protocol"=""
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx\shell]
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx\shell\open]
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx\shell\open\command]
> @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe\" \"%1\""
>
> FYI: I was able on one site to copy the .asx url, copy it to the
> browser and play it with mplayer2.exe, not wmplayer.
>
> Appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks.
> *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
> *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
> http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Um, undo the changes you made in internet options