Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Zorro TV series on DVD copyright legal ?

Zorro TV series on DVD copyright legal ?

Dr. Colombes

Is the "Zorro" (50s TV) DVD collection sold by ClassicTheater.com
copyright legal? It's hard to believe the studios would allow the
copyrights on those popular TV shows from the 50s and 60s to lapse.

How about "The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin"?

"Maverick"?

"Man from U.N.C.L.E."?

Derek Janssen

Dr. Colombes wrote:

> Is the "Zorro" (50s TV) DVD collection sold by ClassicTheater.com
> copyright legal? It's hard to believe the studios would allow the
> copyrights on those popular TV shows from the 50s and 60s to lapse.

They didn't, they aren't, and it isn't:

If you want "Zorro: Season 1" boxset in legal form, you'll either have
to subscribe to the Disney Movie Club, or save up your Disney Movie
Rewards points (about 750pts worth)--
http://disney.videos.go.com/General/...eAZ&alphaCat=7
It's one of those "exclusives" Disney was timid about mainstream
marketing, and still languishing away in test-market obscurity for their
club-member audience.

Derek Janssen (on the upside, you can also get "Donald Duck in Mathmagic
Land" on legit R1)

Derek Janssen

Oh, and:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=5787663

> "Man from U.N.C.L.E."?

http://tinyurl.com/2x2oyc

(And in answer to your next two questions, yes, Get Smart, same people,
and no, you don't wanna *know* the rights problems holding up Batman.)

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Phisherman

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:48:05 -0800 (PST), "Dr. Colombes"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is the "Zorro" (50s TV) DVD collection sold by ClassicTheater.com
>copyright legal? It's hard to believe the studios would allow the
>copyrights on those popular TV shows from the 50s and 60s to lapse.
>
>How about "The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin"?
>
>"Maverick"?
>
>"Man from U.N.C.L.E."?

If Netflix doesn't have it, I'd suspect it is illegal. Probably the
seller, rather than the buyer, would be in trouble. I wanted "Song of
the South" on DVD so the only way to get it was an underground source.

Kimba W Lion

Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> "Maverick"?

>http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=5787663

A measly 3 episodes. Why is Warners sitting on this series?
(And BTW, Amazon has that DVD for $4.)

Stan Brown

Thu, 29 Nov 2007 04:59:29 GMT from Derek Janssen <ejanss1
@nospam.verizon.net>:
> Derek Janssen (on the upside, you can also get "Donald Duck in Mathmagic
> Land" on legit R1)

And "Hemo the Magnificent"?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Derek Janssen

Stan Brown wrote:

>>Disney Movie Club exclusive
>>(on the upside, you can also get "Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land" on

legit R1)

> And "Hemo the Magnificent"?

Not Disney, but:
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=5748224

Derek Janssen (you only had to ask)
(E-Mail Removed)

elrous0@pop.uky.edu

On Nov 29, 12:04 am, Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (And in answer to your next two questions, yes, Get Smart, same people,
> and no, you don't wanna *know* the rights problems holding up Batman.)

Tell me about it. I'm still waiting on "The Bionic Woman" and "The Six
Million Dollar Man" in region 1. You'd think with the premier of the
new Bionic Woman, they could have cut through the legal issues and
gotten at least THAT one out. Must be mired down in some serious red
tape for them to have missed that opportunity.

Had a serious crush on Lindsay Wagoner as a kid. She wasn't the
greatest actress, but she was at least better than that new twit (who
gets shown up by Miguel Ferrer, Katee Sackoff, etc. in every scene).
They should just kill off that new chick (and her annoying sister,
played by an even worse "actress") and let Sackoff take the center
stage anyway.

Oops, went on a rant there. Oh well, that's what usenet is for.

-Eric

Derek Janssen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>(And in answer to your next two questions, yes, Get Smart, same people,
>>and no, you don't wanna *know* the rights problems holding up Batman.)

> Tell me about it. I'm still waiting on "The Bionic Woman" and "The Six
> Million Dollar Man" in region 1. You'd think with the premier of the
> new Bionic Woman, they could have cut through the legal issues and
> gotten at least THAT one out. Must be mired down in some serious red
> tape for them to have missed that opportunity.

Legal issues are over the original Martin Caidin "Cyborg" novel for both:
Yes, studio cancelled that dopey Jim Carrey SM$M "movie version" they
were going to make, but that means the book rights are still spoken for.

....Thanks LOADS, guys. -_-

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

ericrous@gmail.com

On Dec 10, 10:12 pm, Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> that dopey Jim Carrey SM$M "movie version" they
> were going to make

I still get nightmares thinking about what that would have looked
like.

Jim Carrey is one of the top actors on my "Please, just leave
already." list of once-decent-now-annoying actors (Jack Black is in
the #1 spot, incidentally, followed by Robin Williams in a close 2nd).