Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTML book recomendation

HTML book recomendation

Jud McCranie

I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
considering these:

1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews
2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

The last two are O'Riley books. From what I've read, I'm leaning
toward #3. Does anyone have a recommendation?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Jonathan N. Little

Jud McCranie wrote:
> I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
> get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
> considering these:
>
> 1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews
> 2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
> 3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
>
> The last two are O'Riley books. From what I've read, I'm leaning
> toward #3. Does anyone have a recommendation?

If you want a quick start to get going with correct information (most
out there is either obsolete or just plain wrong), then try the
tutorials at www.htmldog.com

After completion of those tutorials, #1 will be not needed, and you will
know what is applicable and what is not (e.g, XHTML) with #2 & #3.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jud McCranie

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:11:33 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you want a quick start to get going with correct information (most
>out there is either obsolete or just plain wrong), then try the
>tutorials at www.htmldog.com

Thanks, I'll look at that, but I prefer physical books because I can
take them with me, make notes in the margins, etc.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jud McCranie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:11:33 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >If you want a quick start to get going with correct information (most
> >out there is either obsolete or just plain wrong), then try the
> >tutorials at www.htmldog.com

> Thanks, I'll look at that, but I prefer physical books because I can
> take them with me, make notes in the margins, etc.

Time maybe to get the printer firing...

--
dorayme

David Segall

Jud McCranie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
>get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
>considering these:
>
>1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews
>2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
>3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

I like "The Definitive Guide" series. I also have the CSS and
JavaScript volumes. In addition to providing clear training in the
topics they remain very useful as reference manuals.

Nik Coughlin

"Jud McCranie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
> get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
> considering these:
>
> 1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews
> 2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
> 3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
>
> The last two are O'Riley books. From what I've read, I'm leaning
> toward #3. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I have another Head First book, I remember when I first read it I thought it
was one of the best technical books I'd ever read (Head First Design
Patterns). If the HTML one is anywhere near as good then it's probably
awesome.

mark4asp

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:31:36 -0500, Jud McCranie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
>get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
>considering these:
>
>1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews
>2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
>3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
>
>The last two are O'Riley books. From what I've read, I'm leaning
>toward #3. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I agree with the other commentators. Only #2 above will be a good
reference after you've finished reading the book. Read the others if
you want to but get them from the library rather than pay. Given the
price of technical books it's a real shame to spend so much money on
something you throw away after reading.

* A nice css book is Wrox press "Beginning CSS", by Richard York - it's
suitable for all, from beginners to experienced coders, like me, who've
never before taken the time to learn css because they considered it too
easy or below them! It's full of gems and useful detailed information
which I wish I'd read years ago as well as being a great reference on
css.

* "Accessible XHTML and CSS Web Sites", also published by Wrox is a nice
book too, but it may not be strictly a beginner's book.

* I use Danny Goodman's "DHTML - The Definitive Reference" which I can't
recommend for you because it's way OTT; it's a reference not a tutorial
and covers stuff you probably don't want to know. Essential reference
book for advanced coders though.

Sorry I can't recommend a beginner's html book but I've never read one.
That "Beginning Css" would definitely be worth it for you. A book I
used to swear by was Jennifer Niederst's "Web Design in a Nutshell",
which is really a book for web coders - not a "design" book and it may
be showing it's age now even if it is in its 3rd edition.

Blinky the Shark

Jud McCranie wrote:
> I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
> get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
> considering these:
>
> 1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews

I'm sure it would here, too.

> 2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
> 3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
>
> The last two are O'Riley books. From what I've read, I'm leaning
> toward #3. Does anyone have a recommendation?

If you mean "O'Reilly", they're excellent. I have a whole shelf of them
here and they've never disappointed me.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Toby A Inkster

Jud McCranie wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> www.htmldog.com

> Thanks, I'll look at that, but I prefer physical books because I can
> take them with me, make notes in the margins, etc.

There is an HTMLDog book available -- see the website.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 4 days, 16:11.]

Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/1...tunes-sharing/

Andy Dingley

On 29 Nov, 03:31, Jud McCranie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Does anyone have a recommendation?

> 3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

Follow it up with Lie & Bos' "Cascading Style Sheets" - that's also
one you'll keep on your desktop as a reference afterwards

Book recomendation for Asp.Net2.0 Volker Goehrke ASP General 2 01-11-2006 09:12 AM
cisco router/swtich recomendation ? raptor Cisco 21 01-15-2005 07:38 PM
profiling software recomendation JML Java 5 12-13-2004 09:34 PM
book recomendation lallous C++ 5 01-19-2004 06:40 PM
typesafe session recomendation adam ASP .Net 2 08-15-2003 03:23 AM

Advertisments