Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Testing Power supplys

Testing Power supplys

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

I have started to change the testing method of testing power supplies to show everyone exactly how good a power supply is.
The new graph shows how jittery the power supply is when Idle and loaded.
heres a look at the Sunbeam Nuuo 550 watt 12v1 rail, Idle/Load
This is measured over time, using a RS232 Multimeter

Please give comments on if its a good idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (113.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by unholy; 02-18-2006 at 03:33 PM..

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

No comments? it must be a good idea then

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

No comments because nobody knows what you're saying.

Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
Ian's Avatar

Just seen this now Looks like a good way to test it to me, I wonder what a cheapy power supply would do?

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

A hundredth of a volt jump isn't much to worry about. We would need to define standard thresholds, like a 10th of a volt. Try changing the scale from 12.00 to 12.0 and see how it looks.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Sounds like a plan

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Here's a question. How can I calculate the effeciency rating for a PSU to compare it against the manufacturers claims? I need to know the right way to do this.

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

You somehow need to measure the power loss occuring within the PSU to determine efficiency. Maybe you can use several current meters concurrently - one on the input line, and one on each output line (all voltage rails). It would be tough to perform, as you need to load down all rails at their rated power levels. I would not try to measure this rating without the right equipment.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Yeah, I didn't think it'd be easy to do. Drac tried to do that with a PSU we're reviewing two versions of and couldn't match the rating the mfg. gave for it. I just felt something was wrong with how he was doing it and he wasn't 100% sure so he decided not to post his findings, which was a good idea. I thought if there WAS a way I'd try to track it down and do it with the one I'm testing.

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

I bet even with the best equipment we could use, you would still get some losses (of power consumption measurement) on the order of 1-2%. You almost need a sealed chamber that's capable of maintaining a controlled environment around the PSU. If you had that, perhaps you could calcuate power loss due to thermal load increase. In fact, that might be the easiest way of getting an accurate reading. All you need is the right formula...