Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Different "480" resolutions

Different "480" resolutions

Travis

Someone explain these to me please, I have checked Wikipedia but I do
not understand what they are saying. Standard NTSC TV is 480
horizontal lines, interlaced or progressive (EDTV for progressive).
The height can be any number divisible by 4, or as long as the Vert x
Hor is 1.33 repeated, correct (CORRECTION, that works for any 4:3
resolution - not just 480i/p)? So 640x480 is NTSC TV? But then DVD is
720x480 which is 3:2 (or 1.5) because the pixels are 4:3? And as they
are non-square pixels, unlike a computer monitor, when you rip a DVD I
often see it being ripped as 704x480, to remove the extra 16 pixels (8
on each side) that would just be black on either side of the video
when played on a normal system. But ... 704x480 is 1.467, I don't know
what the ratio is for that (I mean the x).

Who can clearify this?

Netmask

"Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Someone explain these to me please, I have checked Wikipedia but I do
> not understand what they are saying. Standard NTSC TV is 480
> horizontal lines, interlaced or progressive (EDTV for progressive).
> The height can be any number divisible by 4, or as long as the Vert x
> Hor is 1.33 repeated, correct (CORRECTION, that works for any 4:3
> resolution - not just 480i/p)? So 640x480 is NTSC TV? But then DVD is
> 720x480 which is 3:2 (or 1.5) because the pixels are 4:3? And as they
> are non-square pixels, unlike a computer monitor, when you rip a DVD I
> often see it being ripped as 704x480, to remove the extra 16 pixels (8
> on each side) that would just be black on either side of the video
> when played on a normal system. But ... 704x480 is 1.467, I don't know
> what the ratio is for that (I mean the x).
>
> Who can clearify this?

A couple of links that may assist

http://www.mir.com/DMG/aspect.html

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/aspectratios.htm

different views for 1280 x abc and smaller resolutions ActionNotMotion@gmail.com HTML 5 06-16-2006 05:20 PM
different screen resolutions steve Java 2 04-14-2006 04:04 AM
Different screen resolutions HTML 45 11-15-2004 02:54 PM
SWING components adjustment in different resolutions - Should show scrollbars less than 800X600 and expand components over this resolution Bluetears76 Java 1 07-01-2004 09:01 PM
form size with different client resolutions Joe Bonavita ASP .Net 5 12-23-2003 05:15 PM

Advertisments