Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Got the ball rolling on a new newsgroup...

Got the ball rolling on a new newsgroup...

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

A week or so I go, I proposed the founding of a new newsgroup called
comp.lang.c++.portable.highlevel, but I've since decided that comp.lang.c+
+.cross-platform would be a better name.

I've gotten the ball rolling on getting the newsgroup up and running.
For those of you not in the know when it comes to setting up a new
newsgroup, I'll post to this thread informing how the process works, how
to vote for or against it and so forth. If anyone wants an idea on how
the new newsgroup will work, here's the e-mail I sent to the helper
people:

START E-MAIL

Hi my name's Tomás, I'm a computer programmer. I'd like to see a new
Usenet newsgroup called "comp.lang.c++.cross-platform". There is already
a newsgroup called "comp.lang.c++", but its discussion is restricted to
elements of the C++ Standard (e.g. how the language works, and how you
work with the language's standard libraries). More higher-level
discussions such as working with wireless internet or interfacing with a
scanner via USB are quite out of place there, so a group such as
comp.lang.c++.cross-platform would be quite convenient.

The purpose of the newsgroup would be for people to discuss and
inquire about cross-platform C++ libraries. (Basically this means you
can have a program that will run on lots of different systems such as
Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Solaris, but you only have to write the program
once because all the libraries used are cross-platform, i.e. they'll
work on more than just the one platform). A sample inquiry would be:

"I want to write a web-browser that can work on Windows, Linux,
Solaris and Mac OS. Could someone please suggest suitable cross-platform
libraries for a) Networking and b) Graphical User Interface, and perhaps
give me the pro's and con's of each?"

or:

"I want to write a program to interface with an electronics board
via USB port. Could someone please suggest a cross-platform library for
interfacing over USB?"

A sample discussion might be whether the cross-platform programmer
should opt for "xWindows" or for "Qt" when they want a portable
graphical user interface for their program. If such a thread were to be
posted to comp.lang.c++, 90% of the replies would be telling you take
your off-topic discussion elsewhere.

Where should I go from here?

(I had originally proposed to the folks at comp.lang.c++ that this new
newsgroup be called comp.lang.c++.portable.highlevel, but I've decided
that comp.lang.c++.cross-platform would be a more fitting name.)

Thanks for your time,

Tomás

END E-MAIL

--