Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Quickly finding a matching List?

Quickly finding a matching List?

Paul Tomblin

I've got a class (ShowPlaylist) which contains a List of other objects
where are instances of another class (CompositionPlaylist). Both classes
are stored in relational database tables. I need to quickly find which
ShowPlaylist contains a particular List of CompositionPlaylists and
retrieve it from the database. An idea I just had would be for each
ShowPlaylist to compute an MD5 hash of the UUIDs of each
CompositionPlaylist in the List and store that in one column in the
ShowPlaylist table. Can I be sure the hash would always be the same if
the UUIDs were the same and in the exact same order, and reasonably sure
it would be different if there were any differences in content or order?

--
Paul Tomblin <(E-Mail Removed)> http://blog.xcski.com/
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.