Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > question about access points and routers

question about access points and routers

dennis meissner

Hi All...
I have a bit of a quandry. I've installed probably about 30 wireless
networks and have used primarily linksys WRT54G's. About 1/2 of my
installations were on DSL based connectivity. Our local provider has a
built in router in the DSL modems so rather than switching the modem into
bridge mode I been letting the modem do the routing and ppoe authentication
and turning off the dhcp services in the linksys, as well as not using the
wan port. I merely run the line from the dsl modem into one of the 4 ports
on the router. This not only satisfies providing wireless connectivity but
also gives me 3 additional cat5 ports as well.

From my experience it appears that WAPS are consitently more expensive than
wireless routers for a given manufacturer. Is there something I"m missing
here? Is there a reason to use a wireless access point instead of using a
router as I described above?

Thanks in advance
Dennis Meissner

Jack

Hi
Yap, you are right Wireless Cable/DSL Routers are less expensive than Access
Points.
1. Wireless Routers that are sold in bigger numbers than Access Point.
2. As far as Wireless is concerned Access point are superior since they have
more configuration modes than Wireless Routers,
http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
The additional configuration Modes are usually not an advantage to a regular
Home/SOHO user.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:suuJf.53$(E-Mail Removed)...