Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > altova xml spy free edition

altova xml spy free edition

Andy Fish

hi,

i used to use the free edition of altova xml spy for editing xml files. now
I see that it costs $500

all I want to do is just edit xml files in a "raw" xml view, validate that
they are well formed, and pretty-print (reformat), so I don't really want to
spend 500 bucks on a tool to do it

is this something that 'authentic' (or any of the cheaper altova products)
does?

if not, what's your favourite free/cheap xml editor

Andy Dingley

On 28 Nov, 10:44, "Andy Fish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i used to use the free edition of altova xml spy for editing xml files. now
> I see that it costs $500

I've posted regularly on how I don't much like Altova or XML Spy
anyway.

> if not, what's your favourite free/cheap xml editor

Anything will do element closure these days. Hunt around and you'll
get DTD or schema awareness too, or even schema editing tools. jEdit
is the low end, Eclipse the high end.

Armel

"Andy Fish" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
oEb3j.7156$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
>
> i used to use the free edition of altova xml spy for editing xml files.
> now I see that it costs $500
>
> all I want to do is just edit xml files in a "raw" xml view, validate that
> they are well formed, and pretty-print (reformat), so I don't really want
> to spend 500 bucks on a tool to do it
>
> is this something that 'authentic' (or any of the cheaper altova products)
> does?
>
> if not, what's your favourite free/cheap xml editor

we make and use ECMerge for our XML stuff, it has XML completion and XML
validation through macros and built-in pretty-printing.
it is basically a differ but it is also a good editor with XML syntax
colouring for 20$ in its standard version.

Regards
Armel

MKline

On Nov 28, 5:44 am, "Andy Fish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i used to use the free edition of altova xml spy for editing xml files. now
> I see that it costs $500
>
> all I want to do is just edit xml files in a "raw" xml view, validate that
> they are well formed, and pretty-print (reformat), so I don't really want to
> spend 500 bucks on a tool to do it
>
> is this something that 'authentic' (or any of the cheaper altova products)
> does?
>
> if not, what's your favourite free/cheap xml editor

www.xmlcooktop.com

freeware