Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 5d replacement?

5d replacement?

pshaw@emmet.com

any reasonably verified rumors for a replacement for the canon 5d?

steve

Pete D

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> any reasonably verified rumors for a replacement for the canon 5d?
>
> steve

Is yours worn out?

Ali

Canon are very, very secretive when it comes to new model information and
release dates. You won't get any information until they decide to launch
the press release. Occasionally, you may get a bit of pre info, but we are
only talking days, if that. The best you can do is look at previous trends
and guess, however as the 5D has no predecessor, you can't really do that.
There was 2 years between the 1Ds and 1Ds Mk II, but 3 years between the 1Ds
Mk II and the 1Ds Mk III

The old 5D was launched in August 2005, so is due a replacement, but could
be anytime between now and August 2008. I'm thinking maybe February 2008 as
my guess.

Also (as another guess), I'm expecting more frames per second (maybe
4-5fps), ISO 6400, Live view, Digic III processor, 14-bit images, 3" LCD,
self cleaning sensor...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> any reasonably verified rumors for a replacement for the canon 5d?
>
> steve

Rita Berkowitz

Ali wrote:

> Also (as another guess), I'm expecting more frames per second (maybe
> 4-5fps), ISO 6400, Live view, Digic III processor, 14-bit images, 3"
> LCD, self cleaning sensor...

With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy the
next generation 5D.

Rita

Douglas

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ali wrote:
>
>> Also (as another guess), I'm expecting more frames per second (maybe
>> 4-5fps), ISO 6400, Live view, Digic III processor, 14-bit images, 3"
>> LCD, self cleaning sensor...

> With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy the
> next generation 5D.
>

> Rita

Hey Rita... Have you made a decision about buying a D3 yet?
It doesn't look like I'll get mine until February at the earliest! Pretty
poor PR when you have to wait 6 months after the announcement to get one. I
guess I should be content to know the price is firm!

Douglas

frederick

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Ali wrote:
>
>> Also (as another guess), I'm expecting more frames per second (maybe
>> 4-5fps), ISO 6400, Live view, Digic III processor, 14-bit images, 3"
>> LCD, self cleaning sensor...

> With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy
> the next generation 5D.

Perhaps there is...
If you search the Canon forums on DPReview, there's a guy there who has
developed and will soon be offering commercially an EOS to F mount
adapter that will adjust "G" lenses.

Rita Berkowitz

Douglas wrote:

> Hey Rita... Have you made a decision about buying a D3 yet?
> It doesn't look like I'll get mine until February at the earliest!
> Pretty poor PR when you have to wait 6 months after the announcement
> to get one. I guess I should be content to know the price is firm!

Yep, and a Formidable 500/4 as well. These wait lists suck.

Rita

george

"frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Rita Berkowitz wrote:
>> Ali wrote:
>>
>>> Also (as another guess), I'm expecting more frames per second (maybe
>>> 4-5fps), ISO 6400, Live view, Digic III processor, 14-bit images, 3"
>>> LCD, self cleaning sensor...

>> With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy the
>> next generation 5D.
>>

> Perhaps there is...
> If you search the Canon forums on DPReview, there's a guy there who has
> developed and will soon be offering commercially an EOS to F mount adapter
> that will adjust "G" lenses.

I've actually been amazed that Canon hasn't made one themselves. If they
had, I would already own a 5D instead of still waiting for a FF Nikon that
goes down to ISO 50 or so and costs what the 5D does... A Nikon "5D
equivalent" would suit my shooting better than the still vaporware D3 at
double the price.

frederick

george wrote:
> "frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Rita Berkowitz wrote:

>>> With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy the
>>> next generation 5D.
>>>

>> Perhaps there is...
>> If you search the Canon forums on DPReview, there's a guy there who has
>> developed and will soon be offering commercially an EOS to F mount adapter
>> that will adjust "G" lenses.

> I've actually been amazed that Canon hasn't made one themselves. If they
> had, I would already own a 5D instead of still waiting for a FF Nikon that
> goes down to ISO 50 or so and costs what the 5D does... A Nikon "5D
> equivalent" would suit my shooting better than the still vaporware D3 at
> double the price.

What's vapourware about the D3?
I was holding one today - it seemed real.
But the price is good only if you really need the features.
I'm also tempted by the 5d low prices.

Paul J Gans

george <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Rita ? Berkowitz wrote:

>>> With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy the
>>> next generation 5D.
>>>

>> Perhaps there is...
>> If you search the Canon forums on DPReview, there's a guy there who has
>> developed and will soon be offering commercially an EOS to F mount adapter
>> that will adjust "G" lenses.

>I've actually been amazed that Canon hasn't made one themselves. If they
>had, I would already own a 5D instead of still waiting for a FF Nikon that
>goes down to ISO 50 or so and costs what the 5D does... A Nikon "5D
>equivalent" would suit my shooting better than the still vaporware D3 at
>double the price.

That kind of thing brings on competition that might well ruin
both Canon and Nikon. The idea is to keep the brands separate.
Canon does NOT want you using Nikon lenses (or bodies) and Nikon
does not want you to use Canon lenses (or bodies).

If everything becomes too interchangable, then they can only
compete on price -- and there goes the ball game.

So they compete, *system* against *system*. And both are good
systems.

--
--- Paul J. Gans