Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > empty cells in a table not displaying correctly

Reply
Thread Tools

empty cells in a table not displaying correctly

 
 
Jud McCranie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2007
I'm doing cells in a table with
<TD align="right">text</TD>
When the text is blank, the table isn't displaying correctly in IE and
Firefox - the walls of the cell aren't drawn (although they are spaced
correctly). I've tried leaving the "text" blank and putting blank
characters in there, neither work.

How can I get it to draw the walls of the cell if the text is blank?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2007

"Jud McCranie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm doing cells in a table with
> <TD align="right">text</TD>
> When the text is blank, the table isn't displaying correctly in IE and
> Firefox - the walls of the cell aren't drawn (although they are spaced
> correctly).


That is what is supposed to happen.

>I've tried leaving the "text" blank and putting blank
> characters in there, neither work.
>
> How can I get it to draw the walls of the cell if the text is blank?


&nbsp;

--
Richard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Adrienne Boswell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2007
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Jud McCranie
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm doing cells in a table with
><TD align="right">text</TD>
> When the text is blank, the table isn't displaying correctly in IE and
> Firefox - the walls of the cell aren't drawn (although they are spaced
> correctly). I've tried leaving the "text" blank and putting blank
> characters in there, neither work.
>
> How can I get it to draw the walls of the cell if the text is blank?


Use the empty cell property - http://tinyurl.com/8nztn

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
Please respond to the group so others can share

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jud McCranie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2007
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 06:14:22 GMT, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>&nbsp;


That works, thanks. That puts a half space in there, right?

--
Replace you know what by j to email
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jud McCranie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2007
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 06:15:10 GMT, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Use the empty cell property - http://tinyurl.com/8nztn


I couldn't get that to work. I tried:
<TABLE border=1 width="60%" empty-cells: show>
<TABLE border=1 width="60%" empty-cells=show>
but neither worked. What's wrong?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
 
Reply With Quote
 
Harlan Messinger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2007
Jud McCranie wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 06:14:22 GMT, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> &nbsp;

>
> That works, thanks. That puts a half space in there, right?
>

No half-space. It puts in a full non-breaking space, however the browser
happens to interpret that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2007
Jud McCranie wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 06:15:10 GMT, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Use the empty cell property - http://tinyurl.com/8nztn

>
> I couldn't get that to work. I tried:
> <TABLE border=1 width="60%" empty-cells: show>
> <TABLE border=1 width="60%" empty-cells=show>
> but neither worked. What's wrong?


It is a CSS property not an HTML attribute.

either in your stylesheet add

table { empty-cells: show; }

or put inline in the HTML attribute STYLE:

<TABLE border=1 width="60%" style="empty-cells: show;">

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jud McCranie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2007
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:35:30 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><TABLE border=1 width="60%" style="empty-cells: show;">


That works in Firefox but not IE. (However, the &nbsp; works in
both).

I'm not very familiar with HTML - I'm writing a program that generates
some HYML tables as output.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2007
Jud McCranie wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:35:30 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> <TABLE border=1 width="60%" style="empty-cells: show;">

>
> That works in Firefox but not IE. (However, the &nbsp; works in
> both).


You now know a web designer's pain, it is summed up in two little
letters...IE!


--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jud McCranie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2007
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:24:39 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> That works in Firefox but not IE. (However, the &nbsp; works in
>> both).

>
>You now know a web designer's pain, it is summed up in two little
>letters...IE!


Yes, I would have thought that IE would be standard.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
table not displaying correctly tshad ASP .Net 2 04-28-2010 05:10 PM
Empty gridview cells and checking for empty string Savvoulidis Iordanis ASP .Net 1 09-05-2008 06:15 AM
"opening" empty table cells Jeff Thies HTML 2 06-25-2004 09:59 AM
Empty Column not displaying correctly John ASP .Net Datagrid Control 0 01-30-2004 11:56 PM
[JSTL] empty strings inside table cells *with borders* Karsten Wutzke Java 9 10-31-2003 09:18 PM



Advertisments