Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > When did the first consumer level digital cameras hit the market?

When did the first consumer level digital cameras hit the market?

ray

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:43:40 +0000, Gary Edstrom wrote:

> When did the first consumer level digital cameras hit the market?
>
> I was sort of a late arrival in digital world. My fist digital picture
> is dated May 18, 1999 and was taken with a Kodak DC-265. I was never
> very happy with that camera, but I used it for about 2 years. It never
> came close to replacing my film camera.
>
> Gary

Really! I still have my DC210+ which I bought refurbished. I loved that
camera. Pulled it out a couple of months ago to do a little gig at the
local library where they didn't need much resolution on some snapshots
they printed out for Haloween - worked great. I now have a P850 which is
my main camera.

Steve M

1994 Epson PhotoPC. 230k sensor. Really crappy pictures. But it worked
and I loved digital photos. Even started printing them on my Photosmart
Printer. It was awesome lol

--
L8tr....
Steve M.

"ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:43:40 +0000, Gary Edstrom wrote:
>
>> When did the first consumer level digital cameras hit the market?
>>
>> I was sort of a late arrival in digital world. My fist digital picture
>> is dated May 18, 1999 and was taken with a Kodak DC-265. I was never
>> very happy with that camera, but I used it for about 2 years. It never
>> came close to replacing my film camera.
>>
>> Gary

> Really! I still have my DC210+ which I bought refurbished. I loved that
> camera. Pulled it out a couple of months ago to do a little gig at the
> local library where they didn't need much resolution on some snapshots
> they printed out for Haloween - worked great. I now have a P850 which is
> my main camera.

JohnR66

"Gary Edstrom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When did the first consumer level digital cameras hit the market?
>
> I was sort of a late arrival in digital world. My fist digital picture
> is dated May 18, 1999 and was taken with a Kodak DC-265. I was never
> very happy with that camera, but I used it for about 2 years. It never
> came close to replacing my film camera.
>
> Gary
> --
> Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
> I am Yoda of Borg. Futile is Resistance. Assimilate you, I will!
> The above tagline is number 212 in a series of 549. Collect them all!

I bought an Epson Photo PC in early 1996. 640x480 resolution, no LCD screen,
but better than the casio QV10 or whatever it was that had a much lower
resolution, but did have a screen. I think I paid $500 for this toy. Look
what you can get for $500 now!

Years before that, at work, we bought a Canon. It was very expensive, had
640x480 resolution and acessories including a film reader. It saved files to
a mini floppy disk format.
John

David J Taylor

I would consider the Nikon Coolpix 900 (March 199 the first digital
consumer-level camera which was versatile by taking advantage of what
digital could offer. It was 1280 x 960 pixels, and had both optical and
LCD viewfinders. The lens was superb, and allowed great macros. The
twist in the format was the separation of taking and viewing sections,
with a swivel lens assembly. This made the camera very versatile, and
offered something no film camera could. The next generation, the Nikon
Coolpix 990, did upgrade to 3.2MB (and can provide 10 x 8-inch A4 sized
prints), and removed many of the quirks of the 900.

I still have both the Nikon 900 and 990 - batteries removed for safe
storage.

Cheers,
David

nospam

In article <GVd3j.54471$(E-Mail Removed)> , David J
Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

> I would consider the Nikon Coolpix 900 (March 199 the first digital
> consumer-level camera which was versatile by taking advantage of what
> digital could offer. It was 1280 x 960 pixels, and had both optical and
> LCD viewfinders. The lens was superb, and allowed great macros. The
> twist in the format was the separation of taking and viewing sections,
> with a swivel lens assembly. This made the camera very versatile, and
> offered something no film camera could. The next generation, the Nikon
> Coolpix 990, did upgrade to 3.2MB (and can provide 10 x 8-inch A4 sized
> prints), and removed many of the quirks of the 900.

you skipped the 950

tomm42

On Nov 27, 1:43 pm, Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When did the first consumer level digital cameras hit the market?
>
> I was sort of a late arrival in digital world. My fist digital picture
> is dated May 18, 1999 and was taken with a Kodak DC-265. I was never
> very happy with that camera, but I used it for about 2 years. It never
> came close to replacing my film camera.
>
> Gary
> --
> Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Visit my Midway Island home page athttp://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
> I am Yoda of Borg. Futile is Resistance. Assimilate you, I will!
> The above tagline is number 212 in a series of 549. Collect them all!

I lost a lucrative contract photographing a meeting to the VP of the
company with a Sony Mavica in 1998. I used to shoot slides on a Leica
M2 for them to document the meeting then process the slide film in the
bathtub in my hotel room for the last morning meeting. Was fun paid
well, I thought it was funny with the VP running around with his
pockets filled with floppy disks. He got the last laugh.
My first digital was a Fuji 1400 I bought for my wife after she lost
and old Olympus Stylus. This camera had amazingly accurate color, and
not a bad lens, just with 1.3mp the files would fall apart above 5x7,
I even tried Genuine Fractals on them. Still have the camera and for
4x6 snaps you can tell the difference between the photos reduced from
my D200 files and the Fuji's but they are surprisingly close.

Tom

David J Taylor

nospam wrote:
> In article <GVd3j.54471$(E-Mail Removed)> , David J
> Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> I would consider the Nikon Coolpix 900 (March 199 the first digital
>> consumer-level camera which was versatile by taking advantage of what
>> digital could offer. It was 1280 x 960 pixels, and had both optical
>> and LCD viewfinders. The lens was superb, and allowed great macros.
>> The twist in the format was the separation of taking and viewing
>> sections, with a swivel lens assembly. This made the camera very
>> versatile, and offered something no film camera could. The next
>> generation, the Nikon Coolpix 990, did upgrade to 3.2MB (and can
>> provide 10 x 8-inch A4 sized prints), and removed many of the quirks
>> of the 900.

> you skipped the 950

Yes. I didn't mention a whole range of cameras which came after the 900,
and those which came after the 990. My view is that the 990 was the peak
of that range, but of course the 950 was a step along the way.

Cheers,
David

Mr. Strat

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
tomm42 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I lost a lucrative contract photographing a meeting to the VP of the
> company with a Sony Mavica in 1998. I used to shoot slides on a Leica
> M2 for them to document the meeting then process the slide film in the
> bathtub in my hotel room for the last morning meeting. Was fun paid
> well, I thought it was funny with the VP running around with his
> pockets filled with floppy disks. He got the last laugh.
> My first digital was a Fuji 1400 I bought for my wife after she lost
> and old Olympus Stylus. This camera had amazingly accurate color, and
> not a bad lens, just with 1.3mp the files would fall apart above 5x7,
> I even tried Genuine Fractals on them. Still have the camera and for
> 4x6 snaps you can tell the difference between the photos reduced from
> my D200 files and the Fuji's but they are surprisingly close.

Must have been a bitch to keep temperatures within the close specs
required for slide processing.

nospam

In article <MIe3j.54486$(E-Mail Removed)> , David J
Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

> > you skipped the 950

> Yes. I didn't mention a whole range of cameras which came after the 900,
> and those which came after the 990. My view is that the 990 was the peak
> of that range, but of course the 950 was a step along the way.

agreed, the 990 and slightly improved 995 were the peak.

Scott W

nospam wrote:
> In article <MIe3j.54486$(E-Mail Removed)> , David J
> Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> you skipped the 950

>> Yes. I didn't mention a whole range of cameras which came after the 900,
>> and those which came after the 990. My view is that the 990 was the peak
>> of that range, but of course the 950 was a step along the way.

> agreed, the 990 and slightly improved 995 were the peak.

I had a Nikon 995, great camera for the time and made better looking 4x6
prints then I was getting from film. But it fell short on 8x10 prints,
they looked ok but that was all.

Still I took a lot of photos with it from 2001 to 2004.

Scott