Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > VS 2003 & VS 2005 on same workstation

VS 2003 & VS 2005 on same workstation

Mike Robbins

Any known problems with having both on the same development workstation?
I'm currently using 2003, but would like to get 2005 on there.

Thanks,

Mike

Jon Shemitz

> Any known problems with having both on the same development workstation?
> I'm currently using 2003, but would like to get 2005 on there.

Haven't heard of any; haven't experienced any.

Aside from 2005 making 2003 look rather backward.

--
<http://www.midnightbeach.com>

Mike Robbins

LOL. Isn't that always the case? I hate having to go backward. I always end
up trying to use features in the "old" version that aren't there.

Thanks,

Mike

"Jon Shemitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Any known problems with having both on the same development

workstation?
> > I'm currently using 2003, but would like to get 2005 on there.

> Haven't heard of any; haven't experienced any.
>
> Aside from 2005 making 2003 look rather backward.
>
> --
> <http://www.midnightbeach.com>

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Mike,

There is no problems at all. We have been working with 2003/2005 Studio on
the one machine without problems.
One thing to remember is that, if VS 2005 was installed last, it register
its ASP 2.0 version for IIS.
It means that debuging ASP1.1 project will fail. You need to manually change
ASP.net version handler in IIS for virtual folder.

MR> LOL. Isn't that always the case? I hate having to go backward. I
MR> always end up trying to use features in the "old" version that
MR> aren't there.
>>> Any known problems with having both on the same development

MR> workstation?
>>> I'm currently using 2003, but would like to get 2005 on there.

>> Haven't heard of any; haven't experienced any.
>> Aside from 2005 making 2003 look rather backward.

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

newbie

idd
I have installed VB6.0 / 2003 and 2005 .
I'm working in all those versions.. no problem at all.
they all use a different MSDN and so on ...

"Michael Nemtsev" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> Hello Mike,
>
> There is no problems at all. We have been working with 2003/2005 Studio on
> the one machine without problems.
> One thing to remember is that, if VS 2005 was installed last, it register
> its ASP 2.0 version for IIS.
> It means that debuging ASP1.1 project will fail. You need to manually
> change ASP.net version handler in IIS for virtual folder.
>

> MR> LOL. Isn't that always the case? I hate having to go backward. I
> MR> always end up trying to use features in the "old" version that
> MR> aren't there.

> MR> workstation?
>>> Haven't heard of any; haven't experienced any.
>>> Aside from 2005 making 2003 look rather backward.

> ---
> WBR,
> Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour
>
> "At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do
> not cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

EDOnLine

So what happens to the .Net framework on this development computer?

I'm very much a newbie at all of this and I am facing a similar situation.

We have an ASP.Net 1.0 app that we will need to add some features to
shortly. But we also have a new site which needs to run ASP.Net 2.0 (These
are hosted on different servers.)

I currently have VS .Net (1.0) on my computer. From the previous posts it
sounds like I would be okay if I also installed VS 2005 on the same box.

I'm just curious about what happends to my current .Net framework
installation. Do I end up with two? Does the earlier VS automatically know
to complie to its version (1.0) even with 2.0 installed.

Thanks for any information!

"newbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43f74d04$0$26758$(E-Mail Removed)...
> idd
> I have installed VB6.0 / 2003 and 2005 .
> I'm working in all those versions.. no problem at all.
> they all use a different MSDN and so on ...
>

> "Michael Nemtsev" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed) .com...
>> Hello Mike,
>>
>> There is no problems at all. We have been working with 2003/2005 Studio
>> on the one machine without problems.
>> One thing to remember is that, if VS 2005 was installed last, it register
>> its ASP 2.0 version for IIS.
>> It means that debuging ASP1.1 project will fail. You need to manually
>> change ASP.net version handler in IIS for virtual folder.
>>

>> MR> LOL. Isn't that always the case? I hate having to go backward. I
>> MR> always end up trying to use features in the "old" version that
>> MR> aren't there.

>> MR> workstation?

>> ---
>> WBR,
>> Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour
>>
>> "At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do
>> not cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Michael Nemtsev

Hello EDOnLine,

Nothing happens, u only need to set the correct version of ASP.net for virtual
folder of your site in IIS.
VS will choose necessary version of .net to compile

E> So what happens to the .Net framework on this development computer?
E>
E> I'm very much a newbie at all of this and I am facing a similar
E> situation.
E>
E> We have an ASP.Net 1.0 app that we will need to add some features to
E> shortly. But we also have a new site which needs to run ASP.Net 2.0
E> (These are hosted on different servers.)
E>
E> I currently have VS .Net (1.0) on my computer. From the previous
E> posts it sounds like I would be okay if I also installed VS 2005 on
E> the same box.
E>
E> I'm just curious about what happends to my current .Net framework
E> installation. Do I end up with two? Does the earlier VS
E> automatically know to complie to its version (1.0) even with 2.0
E> installed.
E>
E> Thanks for any information!
E>
E> "newbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
E> news:43f74d04$0$26758$(E-Mail Removed)...
E>
>> idd
>> I have installed VB6.0 / 2003 and 2005 .
>> I'm working in all those versions.. no problem at all.
>> they all use a different MSDN and so on ...
>> "Michael Nemtsev" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) .com...
>>
>>> Hello Mike,
>>>
>>> There is no problems at all. We have been working with 2003/2005
>>> Studio
>>> on the one machine without problems.
>>> One thing to remember is that, if VS 2005 was installed last, it
>>> register
>>> its ASP 2.0 version for IIS.
>>> It means that debuging ASP1.1 project will fail. You need to
>>> manually
>>> change ASP.net version handler in IIS for virtual folder.

>>> ---
>>> WBR,
>>> Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour
>>> "At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents
>>> do not cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsch

Mike Robbins

What about having the two versions of VSS? Can they both read/write the same
VSS database and have both client tools exist on the same workstation?

Thanks,

Mike

"Michael Nemtsev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> Hello Mike,
>
> There is no problems at all. We have been working with 2003/2005 Studio on
> the one machine without problems.
> One thing to remember is that, if VS 2005 was installed last, it register
> its ASP 2.0 version for IIS.
> It means that debuging ASP1.1 project will fail. You need to manually
> change ASP.net version handler in IIS for virtual folder.
>

> MR> LOL. Isn't that always the case? I hate having to go backward. I
> MR> always end up trying to use features in the "old" version that
> MR> aren't there.

> MR> workstation?
>>> Haven't heard of any; haven't experienced any.
>>> Aside from 2005 making 2003 look rather backward.

> ---
> WBR,
> Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour
>
> "At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do
> not cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Mike,

I dont know. I did it use it