Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Motherboard question

Motherboard question

jsema

I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has enhanced
ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like sata or those
wide flat ones like pata ?
Thanks

jsema

"jsema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QdH2j.71407$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has enhanced
> ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like sata or those
> wide flat ones like pata ?
> Thanks

Forgot
Went to the asus site but couldnot find a trace of this particular
mb.Nearly all of the listings were for P5's.
Any help on this ?

jsema

"jsema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lsH2j.71408$(E-Mail Removed). net...

> "jsema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:QdH2j.71407$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has
>> enhanced ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like sata
>> or those wide flat ones like pata ?
>> Thanks

> Forgot
> Went to the asus site but couldnot find a trace of this particular
> mb.Nearly all of the listings were for P5's.
> Any help on this ?

Just found out this is a mb manufactured by Asus for HP so now all I need
is what is the equilivent Asus MB ?
Thanks

Mike Easter

jsema wrote:
> I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has
> enhanced ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like
> sata or those wide flat ones like pata ?

Enhanced ATA is/was 'just another' parallel ATA as EIDE or (p)ATA

.... whereas SATA is serial, not parallel, ATA.

But, you have to get it right about the Asus PTGD1-LA - not say 'has
enhanced ata'.

"Supports 4 Serial ATA devices"

A serial ATA is a serial device, whereas/but the old term 'enhanced ATA'
was an old parallel device.

There is also a term 'enhanced SATA' or SATA II and there is eSATA for
external SATA applications and connectors.

The Asus uses the little SATA connectors. Also a different kind of
power connector for the drives.

--
Mike Easter

PeeCee

"jsema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3BH2j.71409$(E-Mail Removed). net...

> "jsema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:lsH2j.71408$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>>
>> "jsema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:QdH2j.71407$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>>> I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has
>>> enhanced ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like sata
>>> or those wide flat ones like pata ?
>>> Thanks

>> Forgot
>> Went to the asus site but couldnot find a trace of this particular
>> mb.Nearly all of the listings were for P5's.
>> Any help on this ?
>>

> Just found out this is a mb manufactured by Asus for HP so now all I
> need is what is the equilivent Asus MB ?
> Thanks

jsema

It will be the flat wide cables.
If you are looking for increased performance you are likely to be
disappointed.

Be carefull if you do buy one as HP often has different connections on
things like USB headers.

I've generally found these OEM boards by Asus while perfectly reliable
products frequently have little information available from Asus.
You have to identify the exact model of HP they were installed in and get
the information from the HP website.

My advice would be to leave your old Mboard in place and save up for a whole
new box.
Peacemeal upgrades like this often cost a 'lot' more than waiting a couple
of months for the total package.

Best
Paul.

doS

like talking to yourself?

"jsema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3BH2j.71409$(E-Mail Removed). net...

> "jsema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:lsH2j.71408$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>>
>> "jsema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:QdH2j.71407$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>>> I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has
>>> enhanced ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like sata
>>> or those wide flat ones like pata ?
>>> Thanks

>> Forgot
>> Went to the asus site but couldnot find a trace of this particular
>> mb.Nearly all of the listings were for P5's.
>> Any help on this ?
>>

> Just found out this is a mb manufactured by Asus for HP so now all I
> need is what is the equilivent Asus MB ?
> Thanks

chuckcar

"jsema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:QdH2j.71407$(E-Mail Removed) et:

> I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has
> enhanced ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like
> sata or those wide flat ones like pata ?
> Thanks

Sound's like a motherboard from a consumer desktop like an Inpiron. Is
this the case? Might not live up to your expectations. Consumer
computers act wierd under high performance situations due to low rated
power supplies (read low power output in watts).

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

You Silly Sod

Yet again chucky ducky totally failed to understand the question
posed and for reasons of indiscernable logic decided to post the
following gibberish:-
"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "jsema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:QdH2j.71407$(E-Mail Removed) et:
>
>> I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has
>> enhanced ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like
>> sata or those wide flat ones like pata ?
>> Thanks
>>

> Sound's like a motherboard from a consumer desktop like an Inpiron. Is
> this the case? Might not live up to your expectations. Consumer
> computers act wierd under high performance situations due to low rated
> power supplies (read low power output in watts).
>
> --
> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

How does that answer the OP's question, you really haven't a clue what
you are talking about have you chucky.
Now chucky explain what the motherboard connections and size of the
ribbon cables has to do with the PSU.