Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > online storage

online storage

LAH

I'm determined to mend my ways and backup my computer more often. Currently
I the only files I consistently backup is Quicken (to CD). However, if some
calamity should occur those CDs could easily be destroyed. I've only
haphazardly backup my pictures.

I looking at online storage - specifically http://www.adrive.com/ . They
offer 50GB of free storage. It almost sound too good to be true. There are
other companies offering such services ranging from 1 to 6 GB, free to
unlimited for about $10.00 a month. In addition to storing the files, I
like the idea of being able to share files with a laptop or with other
members of my family, especially when traveling.

I'm concerned about security. Also, I keep looking for the catch. Why are
these companies doing this for free? Does anyone here use online storage?
Any recommendations both pro and con?

Thanks,

Evan Platt

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:35:24 -0600, "LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm determined to mend my ways and backup my computer more often. Currently
>I the only files I consistently backup is Quicken (to CD). However, if some
>calamity should occur those CDs could easily be destroyed. I've only
>haphazardly backup my pictures.
>
>I looking at online storage - specifically http://www.adrive.com/ . They
>offer 50GB of free storage. It almost sound too good to be true. There are
>other companies offering such services ranging from 1 to 6 GB, free to
>unlimited for about $10.00 a month. In addition to storing the files, I
>like the idea of being able to share files with a laptop or with other
>members of my family, especially when traveling.
>
>I'm concerned about security. Also, I keep looking for the catch. Why are
>these companies doing this for free? Does anyone here use online storage?
>Any recommendations both pro and con?

Not sure I'd trust an online backup.

Especially one who hides behind Domains By Proxy:

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: ADRIVE.COM
Created on: 04-Feb-04
Expires on: 04-Feb-17
Last Updated on: 19-May-07

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Doesn't quite give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Blinky the Shark

LAH wrote:
> I'm determined to mend my ways and backup my computer more often.
> Currently I the only files I consistently backup is Quicken (to CD).
> However, if some calamity should occur those CDs could easily be
> destroyed. I've only haphazardly backup my pictures.
>
> I looking at online storage - specifically http://www.adrive.com/ .
> They offer 50GB of free storage. It almost sound too good to be true.
> There are other companies offering such services ranging from 1 to 6
> GB, free to unlimited for about $10.00 a month. In addition to
> storing the files, I like the idea of being able to share files with a
> laptop or with other members of my family, especially when traveling.
>
> I'm concerned about security. Also, I keep looking for the catch.
> Why are these companies doing this for free? Does anyone here use
> online storage? Any recommendations both pro and con?

For most of your questions I have no advice, and have never used online
storage, but as for your mention of security: depending on your level of
concern, you could entrypt your data before uploading it.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

VanguardLH

"LAH" wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm determined to mend my ways and backup my computer more often.
> Currently I the only files I consistently backup is Quicken (to CD).
> However, if some calamity should occur those CDs could easily be
> destroyed. I've only haphazardly backup my pictures.
>
> I looking at online storage - specifically http://www.adrive.com/ .
> They offer 50GB of free storage. It almost sound too good to be
> true. There are other companies offering such services ranging from
> 1 to 6 GB, free to unlimited for about $10.00 a month. In addition
> to storing the files, I like the idea of being able to share files
> with a laptop or with other members of my family, especially when
> traveling.
>
> I'm concerned about security. Also, I keep looking for the catch.
> Why are these companies doing this for free? Does anyone here use
> online storage? Any recommendations both pro and con?

You are going to trust a 3rd party with your financial data? Aren't
your bank account and credit card numbers listed in your Quicken data
files?

If they were an upright and trustworthy company, why do they hide
behind GoDaddy's Domains By Proxy service to hide their domain
registration data? Yeah, don't bother whining about spammers hitting
the published e-mail addresses in the registrant's data as even end
users can manage spam so a company should be able to do the same. A
traceroute on www.adrive.com shows their upstream provider is
evocative.net whose registration shows they are in California, USA, so
you can probably find out who they are if you issue a lawsuit
(although IANA requires GoDaddy to divulge their customer's
registration info when requested - and GoDaddy has surrended that data
in the past).

So what are you going to do when you need to do a restore but
adrive.com decided to terminate your free account or they simply
vaporized from existence? What if they are unreachable due to network
problems, like a host in your route to them is unresponsive, the
network is super busy, or their service is temporarily down but that
is when you need to restore a file? Online backups is NOT a whole
substitute for physical but off-site backups. Do your own backups.
Use adrive.com or anyone like them as your *secondary* backup source -
and not for any critical information, like data files with bank or
credit account info, social security number, driver's license, or any
other highly personal or finanancial data. If you do include data
files with this personal or financial info, make sure it is always
saved in an encrypted file (like using TrueCrypt) and that no temp
space is used for an open file that is outside this encrypted area. I
don't think it would be a big surprise if your home porn uploaded to
them might someday show up in a Usenet binary newsgroup (so Pam
Anderson shouldn't think of storing her new home videos in online
storage). They might have excellent security between users. Their
own employees are beyond that security lockout.

From their privacy policy, "Special Offers. ADrive may occasionally
send information on products, services, special deals, or a
newsletter. Out of respect for the privacy of the Users, ADrive
presents the option to not receive these types of communications.
Please see ADrive's Choice / Opt-Out provision below." So you
automatically opt-in when you register. Be sure to update your
preferences to opt-out of their "offers".

For me, it looks interesting enough for a place for me to save a copy
of my vacation photos but they are also in my own backups. It will
give me access from elsewhere to see or download them.

Brian Cryer

"LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm determined to mend my ways and backup my computer more often.
> Currently I the only files I consistently backup is Quicken (to CD).
> However, if some calamity should occur those CDs could easily be
> destroyed. I've only haphazardly backup my pictures.

I suggest you buy two usb disks, backup to those and ensure that one of them
is off-site at any one time (incase you have a fire). I manage backups like
this at home and at work - my home backups are kept offsite in my desk draw
at work and my work backups are kept at my home. Simple but effective.

I've not used adrive, but if its like most other companies then you have to
select what to backup. You can be sure (fact of life) that you will forget
to backup something. For that reason I suggest you ensure that you backup
*everything* (ntbackup.exe for windows or the equivalent for other operating
systems), and backing up to disk - for any quantity of data is really the
only way to go.

> I looking at online storage - specifically http://www.adrive.com/ . They
> offer 50GB of free storage. It almost sound too good to be true. There
> are other companies offering such services ranging from 1 to 6 GB, free to
> unlimited for about $10.00 a month. In addition to storing the files, I
> like the idea of being able to share files with a laptop or with other
> members of my family, especially when traveling.

50GB of free storage sounds good (not looked at their terms and conditions).
However, a few practical points:

1. For even 5GB of data have you considered how long it would take to
upload? Assuming you can upload at 256kbps then on paper that would take
2.25 days. In the real world it will take longer. (I think the maximum file
size they allow is 2GB.)

2. Like with web hosting most people won't use anything approaching 50GB so
they can make the claim without having to provide 50GB of available storage
per sign-up.

3. From what I can see the only revenue stream they currently have is via
google-ads. Nothing wrong with that, but unlikely to be enought to pay much
more than their hosting costs.

4. I manage a list of online storage providers
(http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/virtualstorage.htm), whilst I know its not
comprehensive and is overdue a revamp, because of it I do get emailed
comments from people occasionally who have problems with an online storage
provider. The worst type are where someone has relied on an online storage
provider for storage of files and the provider has then gone out of
business. The end result being that you loose everything you've uploaded. My
advice would be to use a service like this for sharing files or providing
yourself access to files from different locations (although personally I
find a usb flash drive more convenient), but not to rely on it for backup.

> I'm concerned about security. Also, I keep looking for the catch. Why
> are these companies doing this for free? Does anyone here use online
> storage? Any recommendations both pro and con?

A ploy some companies use is to offer a free service, get lots of sign ups
and then start charging. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that
but just be aware that there is no guarantee that it will remain free. Also,
because its free it is more likely to disappear overnight - not that you
have any guarantee of stability with a paid service either.

Their website makes no comment that I could see (it may be there and I just
missed it) on what backups they provide. You may find that they don't backup
your data and that if they had a disk problem its sorry but your files are
gone.

Its unlikely that someone their end will go noising through your files - but
its always possible. Just keep that in mind when you upload files to them.

Hope this helps.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

LAH

"LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm determined to mend my ways and backup my computer more
> often.........yada yada yada

Thanks folks for your responses. It has been a tremendous help! I've given
up the notion of using online storage as a primary backup. For all the
reasons many of you mentioned. Still going to reform my non-backup ways -
just not with online storage. I may play around with some online storage as
a way to share files and photos. I think my teenage daughter might enjoy
accessing some of her music files when away from home. However, I decided
to steer clear (at least temporarily) from http://www.adrive.com:80/ (again
for reasons brought to my attention) and try out
http://www.xdrive.com/access.jsp . Yes, they look almost the same, but the
latter is through AOL. I've never used AOL, but at least it is a well
recognized name. They offer 5GB of free storage.

Well, I'm off to my local computer stores to scope out their backup
offerings. Thanks so much!!!!

TJ

"LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm determined to mend my ways and backup my computer more
>> often.........yada yada yada

> Thanks folks for your responses. It has been a tremendous help! I've
> given up the notion of using online storage as a primary backup. For
> all the reasons many of you mentioned. Still going to reform my
> non-backup ways - just not with online storage. I may play around
> with some online storage as a way to share files and photos. I think
> my teenage daughter might enjoy accessing some of her music files when
> away from home. However, I decided to steer clear (at least
> temporarily) from http://www.adrive.com:80/ (again for reasons brought
> to my attention) and try out http://www.xdrive.com/access.jsp . Yes,
> they look almost the same, but the latter is through AOL. I've never
> used AOL, but at least it is a well recognized name. They offer 5GB
> of free storage.

You may not need to go 'outside' for online storage. Most ISPs offer
anywhere from 5-25MB storage/personal web site/per user name. Check
with yours and see what (if anything) they offer.

Mine (Comcast) allots 25MB/account and up to seven accounts for a total
of 175MB* "free" storage.

> Well, I'm off to my local computer stores to scope out their backup
> offerings. Thanks so much!!!!

Yes. That's the way to go for the really important stuff.

*The 25's cannot be lumped together under one (master) user name to form
the 175. While this seems to be pretty standard practice for ISPs, it's
also something I've never quite understood since there's nothing
stopping me from creating a webpage under one account, and linking to
files uploaded to that and the other six accounts I'm allowed.

It still amounts to 175MB, but it *has* to broken up into seven
increments of 25.

Anybody know why ISP's tend to do it that way?

LAH

"TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> "LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm determined to mend my ways and backup my computer more
>>> often.........yada yada yada

>.
>
> You may not need to go 'outside' for online storage. Most ISPs offer
> anywhere from 5-25MB storage/personal web site/per user name. Check
> with yours and see what (if anything) they offer.

I called mine yesterday and inquired - the answer was, "We don't offer that
at this time." I would have preferred that option but it's not to be.
Thanks anyway.