Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HDTV is a big ripoff

HDTV is a big ripoff

robertking@potmail.com

I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
What's the big deal with them? They are priced about 10 or more times
the cost of a standard tv, and for what? Their picture is no better
than a newer standard tv. My 3 year old 21 inch flat screen tv with a
CRT has just as good of a picture as any HDTV. I paid $80 for it.
Worse yet, these HDTV's break up and get colored blotches all over the
screen when the signal is a little weak. My tv gets a little snow on
weaker channels but that sure is easier to watch than blotches on the
screen. HDTV is just a big scam to make lots of money from a tv.
Apparently the companies were not making enough profit selling
standard tvs so they came up with these crappy HDTVs so they could
rape consumers out of their savings. When HDTVs come down to $50 I
may buy one, till then, I'm happy with what I have, and even at $50,
if it's blotchy, I wont pay even one cent on it. There's a sucker
born every minute, and they mist be the ones buying the HDTVs.

Phisherman

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:43:45 -0600, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
>What's the big deal with them? They are priced about 10 or more times
>the cost of a standard tv, and for what? Their picture is no better
>than a newer standard tv.

You havn't compared these two technologies side-by-side, or maybe you
need your vision checked. And yes, HDTVs are expensive but like most
newer electronics they have been declining in price. I have a
slightly-used CRT monitor for sale, $5 plus shipping.

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Phisherman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:43:45 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
>>What's the big deal with them? They are priced about 10 or more times
>>the cost of a standard tv, and for what? Their picture is no better
>>than a newer standard tv.

>You havn't compared these two technologies side-by-side, or maybe you
>need your vision checked. And yes, HDTVs are expensive but like most
>newer electronics they have been declining in price. I have a
>slightly-used CRT monitor for sale, $5 plus shipping.

Most HDTV's that I've seen in public places are poorly adjusted; and
worse, usually displaying SD programming stretched to wide screen mode.
Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing. I have a brother in law who, for 2
years, has fed an HDTV set using an SD cable box using RF input; he
insists that "this ***IS*** HDTV".

robertking@potmail.com

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:05:33 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Phisherman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:43:45 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
>>>What's the big deal with them? They are priced about 10 or more times
>>>the cost of a standard tv, and for what? Their picture is no better
>>>than a newer standard tv.

>>You havn't compared these two technologies side-by-side, or maybe you
>>need your vision checked. And yes, HDTVs are expensive but like most
>>newer electronics they have been declining in price. I have a
>>slightly-used CRT monitor for sale, $5 plus shipping.

>Most HDTV's that I've seen in public places are poorly adjusted; and
>worse, usually displaying SD programming stretched to wide screen mode.
>Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing. I have a brother in law who, for 2
>years, has fed an HDTV set using an SD cable box using RF input; he
>insists that "this ***IS*** HDTV".

If this is the case, why are the stores that are selling these tvs not
providing a quality source? I've been to several of the electronics
super stores and the signal was terrible. Worse yet was the Walmart
electronics dept. Half the time there was no signal at all. Of
course I cant expect much from Walmart who sells mostly junk. But I
have been at restaurants and bars, and watched a few football games
there, and I was not highly impressed. A few of those games were
probably the best signal I had seen, but even running certain kitchen
equipment seemed to cause picture distortion. Ok, granted, when I was
fixing the house, my electric drill caused interference on my standard
tv too, but static and snow are one thing, blotches and intermittent
picture loss on HDTV are another. Dollar for dollar, I am not
impressed with HDTV for the price, and I really dont care for any of
the flat tv pictures. I dont know which is lcd or plasma. They all
look the same to me. I much prefer an actual CRT tube.

(There's nothing wrong with my eyes).

nospam.tv@none.com

Mike S. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Most HDTV's that I've seen in public places are poorly adjusted; and
> worse, usually displaying SD programming stretched to wide screen mode.
> Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing. I have a brother in law who, for 2
> years, has fed an HDTV set using an SD cable box using RF input; he
> insists that "this ***IS*** HDTV".

You cannot judge the quality of HDTV by looking at the sets in the
store. Most of them are poorly calibrated and are not fed a HD signal
to begin with.

When the TV is reasonably calibrated, and connected to a HD source
using a good connection (component/hdmi), the resulting picture should
be noticibly better than DVD, especially the HD signal from those
Saturday football games.

Since the OP is happy with a $50 21-inch TV, I doubt he's the kind
that pays attention to picture quality, so he's not missing much.

Raymond

Richard C.

YOU, sir are either a troll or blind.

Which is it?

=============================
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
> What's the big deal with them? They are priced about 10 or more times
> the cost of a standard tv, and for what? Their picture is no better
> than a newer standard tv. My 3 year old 21 inch flat screen tv with a
> CRT has just as good of a picture as any HDTV. I paid $80 for it.
> Worse yet, these HDTV's break up and get colored blotches all over the
> screen when the signal is a little weak. My tv gets a little snow on
> weaker channels but that sure is easier to watch than blotches on the
> screen. HDTV is just a big scam to make lots of money from a tv.
> Apparently the companies were not making enough profit selling
> standard tvs so they came up with these crappy HDTVs so they could
> rape consumers out of their savings. When HDTVs come down to $50 I
> may buy one, till then, I'm happy with what I have, and even at $50,
> if it's blotchy, I wont pay even one cent on it. There's a sucker
> born every minute, and they mist be the ones buying the HDTVs.

Winfield

On Thanksgiving day I saw a football game on my friend's Visio HD tv.
He had an outside antenna and was watching this HD channel over-the-air.

The picture quality was really good. It makes your 21" standard CRT-tv
picture look like a sick puppy.

Comparing standard DVD and high-definition playback is a bit different.
Not THAT huge of a difference.

Around Feburary 2008, everything is supposed to go digital in TV-land.
The blotchies are coming to your very own CHEAP-ass TV set, of which
you're so proud of. Since the convertor boxes are supposed to cost
~$40, what a great deal. Pixelated, colorful blotchies for only 40 bucks.

Can you beat that?

winfield

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
> What's the big deal with them? They are priced about 10 or more times
> the cost of a standard tv, and for what? Their picture is no better
> than a newer standard tv. My 3 year old 21 inch flat screen tv with a
> CRT has just as good of a picture as any HDTV. I paid $80 for it.
> Worse yet, these HDTV's break up and get colored blotches all over the
> screen when the signal is a little weak. My tv gets a little snow on
> weaker channels but that sure is easier to watch than blotches on the
> screen. HDTV is just a big scam to make lots of money from a tv.
> Apparently the companies were not making enough profit selling
> standard tvs so they came up with these crappy HDTVs so they could
> rape consumers out of their savings. When HDTVs come down to $50 I
> may buy one, till then, I'm happy with what I have, and even at $50,
> if it's blotchy, I wont pay even one cent on it. There's a sucker
> born every minute, and they mist be the ones buying the HDTVs.

Mark Jones

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
> What's the big deal with them?

Proof that there are still plenty of idiots in the world.

Mark Jones

Richard C. wrote:
> YOU, sir are either a troll or blind.
>
> Which is it?

Or stupid.

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:43:45 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.

Oh boy!

>What's the big deal with them?

If you do not know, you are still too immature to understand.

> They are priced about 10 or more times
>the cost of a standard tv, and for what?

They are the next step in resolution. Oh, sorry... you'll have to go
look that word up.

> Their picture is no better
>than a newer standard tv.

You are incorrect.

> My 3 year old 21 inch flat screen tv with a
>CRT has just as good of a picture as any HDTV.

No... It doesn't.

> I paid $80 for it.

You should have saved it toward getting a nice HDTV.

>Worse yet, these HDTV's break up and get colored blotches all over the
>screen when the signal is a little weak.

So does your brain.

> My tv gets a little snow on
>weaker channels but that sure is easier to watch than blotches on the
>screen.

Maybe you're epileptic.

> HDTV is just a big scam to make lots of money from a tv.

Wrong. HDTV wasn't even conceived of by the TV makers.

>Apparently the companies were not making enough profit selling
>standard tvs so they came up with these crappy HDTVs so they could
>rape consumers out of their savings.

You need to be raped with a big, splintery NYPD broomstick handle.

> When HDTVs come down to $50 I
>may buy one,

You'll die first then, idiot.

> till then, I'm happy with what I have, and even at $50,
>if it's blotchy,

You're a goddamned retard.

> I wont pay even one cent on it. There's a sucker
>born every minute,

Go look in the mirror, idiot.

> and they mist be the ones buying the HDTVs.

No. It is the idiots like you buying up old TVs that aren't going to
work any longer soon.