Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > missing NTLDR

missing NTLDR

Joe Stewart

I just installed Win XP Pro x64 after a complete format. When I boot up I
receive the following message - "NTLDR is missing" "press ctl-alt-del to
restart". Restarting does't change anything. If I boot up with the
installation disk in the CD drive, I have no problems. How do I correct this
problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Theo

Look in your root directory and see if NTLDR is there. If
not you can copy it from the installation CD. It's in the
'I386' directory.

Joe Stewart wrote:
> I just installed Win XP Pro x64 after a complete format. When I boot up I
> receive the following message - "NTLDR is missing" "press ctl-alt-del to
> restart". Restarting does't change anything. If I boot up with the
> installation disk in the CD drive, I have no problems. How do I correct this
> problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Tom Ferguson

Make sure there is no disk in the DVD, CD, or floppy drive.

Enter the system BIOS on startup and make sure the correct drive is selected
as the boot drive.

Check the boot.ini entries to be sure the entries are correct for your
configuration. There is an article in the MSKB on this.

,,, and what Theo said.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Joe Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just installed Win XP Pro x64 after a complete format. When I boot up I
> receive the following message - "NTLDR is missing" "press ctl-alt-del to
> restart". Restarting does't change anything. If I boot up with the
> installation disk in the CD drive, I have no problems. How do I correct
> this
> problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Carlos

Joe,
Here you will find a nice tutorial about your problem.
http://tinyempire.com/shortnotes/fil...dr_missing.htm
Carlos

miso@sushi.com

On Nov 26, 11:48 am, Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Joe,
> Here you will find a nice tutorial about your problem.http://tinyempire.com/shortnotes/fil...dr_missing.htm
> Carlos
>
> "Joe Stewart" wrote:
> > I just installed Win XP Pro x64 after a complete format. When I boot up I
> > receive the following message - "NTLDR is missing" "press ctl-alt-del to
> > restart". Restarting does't change anything. If I boot up with the
> > installation disk in the CD drive, I have no problems. How do I correct this
> > problem? Any help would be appreciated.

That was the one someone in the group suggested when I had the same
problem. It sure saved my arse.