Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D3x - First News

Nikon D3x - First News

leaker

You read it here first, a genuine leak::

Model name: Nikon D3x (may change to D4)

Specifications (where different from those of the Nikon D3)
Maximum resolution: 5960 x 3964 (23.6 MP)
Sensor details: 35.9 x 23.9 mm FX full-frame CMOS, RGB, made by Nikon, Inc.
AF: Nikon Multi-CAM4000 DX (provisional name)
ISO range: 100-6400 in 0.5 or 0.33 EV steps (50 - 12800 in menu mode)
Maximum speed: 6.5 fps @ 23.6 MP and 11 fps @ 10 MP (almost up to the D3)
Movie mode: Yes (may be withdrawn because of import duty rates in US/EU)
LCD pixel count: 1080000
Weight with batteries: approx. 1.4 kg
MSRP: USD 6750
http://www.snipurl.com/5ac80b4 (or google it this got taken down once)
Comments: Sensor noise performance is only marginally below that of the D3,
so D3x noise at say 200 ISO = D3 noise at 400 ISO. Expected release date
April 2008 but if likely to be delayed I predict it will be announced as
the Nikon D4.

Not much on the lens front after the new releases, but there was work on a
300mm f1.8 and there's been a 200mm f1.4 on the drawing board since 2006. I
predict it will not see the light of day as the sensitivity/noise
performance of the D3/D3x sensors makes superfast lenses redundant except
for DOF control. Who wants an extra 3 kg of weight for marginally better
bokeh?

Bryan

The link you gave worked the first time but when I went back it said it was
invalid ?

This must be the fabled Nikon D4 - not D3x which was renamed the D3 in
August.

23.6MP is more than the Canon EOS-1ds MkIII which has 21.6MP if I remember.

If this is true Canon may as well pack up shop and go back to photocopiers.

Nikon has them beat on S/N, beat on FPS, beat on gradation, beat on AF
speed,
beat on AF accuracy, beat on lens choice, beat on lens quality, beat on
price
and so once Nikon has Canon beat on MP too it is a full house.

On Monday, 26 Nov. 2007, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (leaker) wrote:

[...]

Tony Polson

Bryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This must be the fabled Nikon D4 - not D3x which was renamed the D3 in
>August.
>23.6MP is more than the Canon EOS-1ds MkIII which has 21.6MP if I remember.
>If this is true Canon may as well pack up shop and go back to photocopiers.
>Nikon has them beat on S/N, beat on FPS, beat on gradation, beat on AF
>speed, beat on AF accuracy, beat on lens choice, beat on lens quality, beat on
>price and so once Nikon has Canon beat on MP too it is a full house.

It would be wonderful, if only it were true.

Yoshi

"leaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) acolo.com...
> You read it here first, a genuine leak::
>
> Not much on the lens front after the new releases, but there was work on a
> 300mm f1.8 and there's been a 200mm f1.4 on the drawing board since 2006.
> predict it will not see the light of day as the sensitivity/noise
> performance of the D3/D3x sensors makes superfast lenses redundant except
> for DOF control. Who wants an extra 3 kg of weight for marginally better
> bokeh?

A 300mm 1.8 ? Just WTF are you smoking, dude?

Yoshi

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Tony Polson wrote:
> Bryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> This must be the fabled Nikon D4 - not D3x which was renamed the D3 in
>> August.
>> 23.6MP is more than the Canon EOS-1ds MkIII which has 21.6MP if I remember.
>> If this is true Canon may as well pack up shop and go back to photocopiers.
>> Nikon has them beat on S/N, beat on FPS, beat on gradation, beat on AF
>> speed, beat on AF accuracy, beat on lens choice, beat on lens quality, beat on
>> price and so once Nikon has Canon beat on MP too it is a full house.

> It would be wonderful, if only it were true.

While it would be great for Canon to get some competition at the high
end in bodies, at the current juncture Canon is so far ahead in
selection of lenses, noise, and auto-focus, that all the professionals
that needed full frame at high resolution have already made the switch
and aren't going back. Nikon used to have an advantage in flashes, but
Canon is now at par. Where Nikon is really lagging is in high end
lenses, they have nothing as good as the fluorite coated Canon
professional lenses (white lenses), and even if they decided to take on
Canon in lenses they are limited by their lens mount.

RichA

On Nov 26, 10:19 am, SMS $B;[h\J8(B* $B2F(B <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tony Polson wrote:
> > Bryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> This must be the fabled Nikon D4 - not D3x which was renamed the D3 in
> >> August.
> >> 23.6MP is more than the Canon EOS-1ds MkIII which has 21.6MP if I remember.
> >> If this is true Canon may as well pack up shop and go back to photocopiers.
> >> Nikon has them beat on S/N, beat on FPS, beat on gradation, beat on AF
> >> speed, beat on AF accuracy, beat on lens choice, beat on lens quality, beat on
> >> price and so once Nikon has Canon beat on MP too it is a full house.

> > It would be wonderful, if only it were true.

> While it would be great for Canon to get some competition at the high
> end in bodies, at the current juncture Canon is so far ahead in
> selection of lenses, noise, and auto-focus, that all the professionals
> that needed full frame at high resolution have already made the switch
> and aren't going back. Nikon used to have an advantage in flashes, but
> Canon is now at par. Where Nikon is really lagging is in high end
> lenses, they have nothing as good as the fluorite coated Canon
> professional lenses (white lenses)

There is no such frigging THING as fluorite "coated" lenses. Lenses
in the past had single-layer magnesium-fluoriDe anti-reflection
coatings, and the Canon lenses you are talking about use whole
elements made of fluorite to facilitate colour correction. They use
them in Canon television camera lenses as well.

John McWilliams

RichA wrote:

> There is no such frigging THING as fluorite "coated" lenses. Lenses
> in the past had single-layer magnesium-fluoriDe anti-reflection
> coatings, and the Canon lenses you are talking about use whole
> elements made of fluorite to facilitate colour correction. They use
> them in Canon television camera lenses as well.

Such a frigging IMPORTANT correction.

--
lsmft

acl

On Nov 26, 7:17 pm, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA wrote:
> > There is no such frigging THING as fluorite "coated" lenses. Lenses
> > in the past had single-layer magnesium-fluoriDe anti-reflection
> > coatings, and the Canon lenses you are talking about use whole
> > elements made of fluorite to facilitate colour correction. They use
> > them in Canon television camera lenses as well.

> Such a frigging IMPORTANT correction.
>
> --
> lsmft

Well, if someone's trying to appear knowledgeable about cars, it does
make a difference if he says "car made of paint" as opposed to "car
covered with paint", no? But if you point out to him that the elements
aren't coated with fluorite (which is crystalline, by the way) but
made of it, you're a troll

Jrgen Exner

acl wrote:
> On Nov 26, 7:17 pm, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA wrote:
>>> There is no such frigging THING as fluorite "coated" lenses. Lenses
>>> in the past had single-layer magnesium-fluoriDe anti-reflection
>>> coatings, and the Canon lenses you are talking about use whole
>>> elements made of fluorite to facilitate colour correction. They use
>>> them in Canon television camera lenses as well.

>> Such a frigging IMPORTANT correction.

> Well, if someone's trying to appear knowledgeable about cars, it does
> make a difference if he says "car made of paint" as opposed to "car
> covered with paint",

Well, better analogy would be silicon and silicone. Try an implant made of
the former or a CPU made of the latter.

jue

Sosumi

"SMS ???. ?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:474ae3a4$0$79905$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony Polson wrote:
>> Bryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> This must be the fabled Nikon D4 - not D3x which was renamed the D3 in
>>> August.
>>> 23.6MP is more than the Canon EOS-1ds MkIII which has 21.6MP if I
>>> remember.
>>> If this is true Canon may as well pack up shop and go back to
>>> photocopiers.
>>> Nikon has them beat on S/N, beat on FPS, beat on gradation, beat on AF
>>> speed, beat on AF accuracy, beat on lens choice, beat on lens quality,
>>> beat on
>>> price and so once Nikon has Canon beat on MP too it is a full house.

>> It would be wonderful, if only it were true.

> While it would be great for Canon to get some competition at the high end
> in bodies, at the current juncture Canon is so far ahead in selection of
> lenses, noise, and auto-focus, that all the professionals that needed full
> frame at high resolution have already made the switch and aren't going
> back. Nikon used to have an advantage in flashes, but Canon is now at par.
> Where Nikon is really lagging is in high end lenses, they have nothing as
> good as the fluorite coated Canon professional lenses (white lenses), and
> even if they decided to take on Canon in lenses they are limited by their
> lens mount.

What do you need? 400, 500 or 600mm with VR? I dont think Canon goed beyond
that...
Besides, I would hate to scare nature with that butt ugly rocket launcher.
Clearly made to have free advertising on sport events. Not good for anything
else...specially the 1Ds MIII that is too slow...

--
"I dont need a camera,
I have a photographic memory..."