Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Laptop question(s)

Laptop question(s)

Bad Disciple

Hello everybody,

I have these questions about notebooks:

1. Why the their prices can be as different as even the double,
while the components are almost the same in brand and capacity?
2. Why are they all delivered with Win Vista installed, which some
customers may not want it? Isn't it a Microsoft trick to sell Vista?
3. About Vista - is it ok with older programs (like CorelDraw,
or music notation Finale 2005, or music recording+production
CubaseSX etc.)?

Mr. Arnold

"Bad Disciple" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4749f3fd$0$832$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have these questions about notebooks:
>
> 1. Why the their prices can be as different as even the double,
> while the components are almost the same in brand and capacity?

Explain yourself, what are you talking about?.

> 2. Why are they all delivered with Win Vista installed, which some
> customers may not want it? Isn't it a Microsoft trick to sell Vista?

No, Vista is the new boy on the block and it's now being pushed, just like
when XP was the new boy on the block. If you want XP then you must ask for a
downgrade to XP. I don't know if you can do it from Vista Home Basic or
Premium editions.

http://www.news.com/2100-1016_3-6209481.html
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=785

> 3. About Vista - is it ok with older programs (like CorelDraw,
> or music notation Finale 2005, or music recording+production
> CubaseSX etc.)?

http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5175

If you don't see the software, then ask the vendor if the software will run
on Vista, if you go to Vista.

JANA

Laptops are more expensive to manufacture. The on board component density is
much higher than that in desktop computers. There are more complicated
issues in dealing with cooling, and the capability of being able to take
some degree of hard handling.

For your best dollar to performance value, you should go for a desktop. With
a desktop, if something goes wrong with it, the service cost will be a lot
lower. Also, a desktop is much easier to make hardware upgrades. Laptops are
very limited and very expensive for making hardware upgrades.

We tell our clients that they should only get a laptop if they require the
portability. Most of our clients have both a desktop and a laptop. They use
the laptop when they are on the road visiting their clients.

As for Vista vs XP, Vista has many limitations especially with older devices
and software's. In the brand name computers for business applications, it is
possible to order a new computer with XP-Pro on it. Most businesses are
refusing Vista. There are too many issues with it.

MS was forced to continue to distribute XP-Pro, because when many of the
businesses were told that they were not able to get XP-Pro, they were going
for Linux. We have some clients that wanted to switch to Linux if they were
not able to have XP-Pro on their newer computers.

Our advice is to stick with XP-Pro for now. Wait to see what happens with
Vista. For ourselves, we are strongly considering to go with Linux if we
have to end up in a bind where we can no longer have XP-Pro.

--

JANA
_____

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On Nov 25, 9:20 pm, "Bad Disciple" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have these questions about notebooks:
>
> 1. Why the their prices can be as different as even the double,
> while the components are almost the same in brand and capacity?
> 2. Why are they all delivered with Win Vista installed, which some
> customers may not want it? Isn't it a Microsoft trick to sell Vista?
> 3. About Vista - is it ok with older programs (like CorelDraw,
> or music notation Finale 2005, or music recording+production
> CubaseSX etc.)?

hard drives are smaller in size, and processor can be lower heat
versions.

but also, there are no standards on laptop design, nobody builds their
own laptops. And the main companies like to "protect their
intellectual property" such as knowledge of how to upgrade the
laptops. So they license repair centres, and do not always make their
service manuals public (you can often get them off ebay)

I reckon desktop prices dropped alot because more and more people
build them themselves or get a friend to build them. Now profit
margins on these things are small.

apparently some people do build their own laptops, but it is unusual.
Maybe because most places do not sell laptop size motherboards. Maybe
because the laptops are ugly, and the average end user wants a snazzy
looking laptop..
Maybe because these DIY laptops are not that quiet - the cases are not
well designed. I don`t know.

But there is no question that people are nnot building their own
laptops. That is a big problem.

With desktops, people say "I can build this thing for this price". And
that pulls down the market price of prebuilt systems. These same
people cannot build a toshiba like laptop though!

Baron

JANA wrote:

> Most businesses are refusing Vista. There are too many issues with it.
>
> MS was forced to continue to distribute XP-Pro, because when many of
> the businesses were told that they were not able to get XP-Pro, they
> were going for Linux. We have some clients that wanted to switch to
> Linux if they were not able to have XP-Pro on their newer computers.

> Our advice is to stick with XP-Pro for now. Wait to see what happens
> with Vista. For ourselves, we are strongly considering to go with
> Linux if we have to end up in a bind where we can no longer have
> XP-Pro.

I second this opinion! 75% of the clients that I see have already
dumped "Vista" and in many cases "XP" and made the move to Linux. The
most obvious result is fewer service issues due to malware. In
addition we have a number of clients going totally thin. Apart from
reducing costs it allows single point management.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.