Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > target _blank and opening a new window in Firefox

target _blank and opening a new window in Firefox

Ubi

Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window and
not in a new tab of the same window?

I have a small popup with an audio player and links for infos about the
songs.
Those links have target _blank, but in Firefox (instead of opening the info
pages in a new window) it opens the pages in a new tab in the same popup
window, which is very unusable.

Daniele

Ubi

> Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window and
> not in a new tab of the same window?

I mean, I know you can configure the _target behaviour in your browser to
open the page in a new windows. But, of course, I would like to implement a
solution that works in any case.

Daniele

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ubi wrote:

> Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window
> and not in a new tab of the same window?
>
> I have a small popup with an audio player and links for infos about
> the songs. Those links have target _blank, but in Firefox (instead of
> opening the info pages in a new window) it opens the pages in a new
> tab in the same popup window, which is very unusable.

Right-click link and choose "Open in New Window" ?

Or look in Tools > Options > Tabs to make all links go to a new window
(certainly not my preference).

--
-bts

Arne

Once upon a time *Ubi* wrote:
>> Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window and
>> not in a new tab of the same window?

> I mean, I know you can configure the _target behaviour in your browser to
> open the page in a new windows. But, of course, I would like to implement a
> solution that works in any case.

*I* decide how *I* like a new page (even a popup window) to be opended
in *my* browser, even on your site. Don't try to run your visitors
browsers for them, you may loose a lot of them if you do.

--
/Arne

Ubi

> *I* decide how *I* like a new page (even a popup window) to be opended
> in *my* browser, even on your site. Don't try to run your visitors
> browsers for them, you may loose a lot of them if you do.

I agree with you in principle.
But there are special cases where something that in principle is correct
becomes non-sense.
This is my case of a small popup window with links.
It's really non-sense to open 900px wide pages in a small pop-up. I think
Firefox should have made an exception for popups windows.

Daniele

rf

"Ubi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fickd2$nsj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> *I* decide how *I* like a new page (even a popup window) to be opended
>> in *my* browser, even on your site. Don't try to run your visitors
>> browsers for them, you may loose a lot of them if you do.

> I agree with you in principle.
> But there are special cases where something that in principle is correct
> becomes non-sense.
> This is my case of a small popup window with links.
> It's really non-sense to open 900px wide pages in a small pop-up. I think
> Firefox should have made an exception for popups windows.

I think it is really nonsense to open a new window for any reason. If the
information is so important then put it right there, on the page I am
looking at.

--
Richard.

Ed Mullen

Ubi wrote:
> Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window and
> not in a new tab of the same window?
>
> I have a small popup with an audio player and links for infos about the
> songs.
> Those links have target _blank, but in Firefox (instead of opening the info
> pages in a new window) it opens the pages in a new tab in the same popup
> window, which is very unusable.

There is no way you can override a user's settings in Firefox regarding
handling of new windows opening. You've already gotten an earful about
why it's undesirable so I'll leave that alone!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Andrew Bailey

"Ubi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ficici$h3b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window and
> not in a new tab of the same window?
>
> I have a small popup with an audio player and links for infos about the
> songs.
> Those links have target _blank, but in Firefox (instead of opening the
> info pages in a new window) it opens the pages in a new tab in the same
> popup window, which is very unusable.
>

> Daniele

Hi Daniele,

Put this javascript in the <head> of your document...

<!-- * Script from HTMLHelpCentral.com - visit for tutorials, scripts,
helpful forums and more! * -->
<script type="text/JavaScript" language="javascript">
<!-- www.htmlhelpcentral.com
function winBRopen(theURL, Name, popW, popH, scroll) { // V 1.0
var winleft = (screen.width - popW) / 2;
var winUp = (screen.height - popH) / 2;
winProp =
'width='+popW+',height='+popH+',left='+winleft+',t op='+winUp+',scrollbars='+scroll+','
Win = window.open(theURL, Name, winProp)
if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4){
Win.window.focus();
}
}
-->
</script>

If you want the user to be able to resize the popup window then substitute
the appropriate line with...

winProp =
'width='+popW+',height='+popH+',left='+winleft+',t op='+winUp+',scrollbars='+scroll+',resizable'

Then in the <body> use this line as a template for a link...

onClick="winBRopen('somepage.html','TITLE','320',' 256','yes');return false;"
title="Click here to open window">CLICK</a>

TITLE = The title of the popup window if none is specified in the popup
document.
320 = width of popup.
256 = height of popup.
yes = do you want scrollbars? (yes, no, auto).

Hope this helps

Andy

FFMG

Ubi;105233 Wrote:
> > *I* decide how *I* like a new page (even a popup window) to be opended
> > in *my* browser, even on your site. Don't try to run your visitors
> > browsers for them, you may loose a lot of them if you do.

> I agree with you in principle.
> But there are special cases where something that in principle is
> correct
> becomes non-sense.
> This is my case of a small popup window with links.
> It's really non-sense to open 900px wide pages in a small pop-up. I
> think
> Firefox should have made an exception for popups windows.
>
> Daniele

Don't do it, think of another way of doing what you are trying to do.

I know, you probably have a good reason for wanting to do what you want
to do. But bad designers/people in the past have ruined any chance you
have to convince us.

Because of that most users will not like what you are trying to do and
will close the popup/page. They will assume the worst.

Note that some of the Javascript example will not work for some users,
(and might even give them some obscure warnings that will scare them
away from your site).

FFMG

--

'webmaster forum' (http://www.httppoint.com) | 'Free Blogs'
(http://www.journalhome.com/) | 'webmaster Directory'

Travis Newbury

On Nov 25, 2:28 pm, "Ubi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window and
> not in a new tab of the same window?

The only sure way I know of is to go to the visitor's home and hold a
gun to his head telling then they must open it in a new window. And
even then you will run into the occational person that would rather
die than open a new window (I believe a few of the group's regulars
would fit into that catagory)

> I have a small popup with an audio player and links for infos about the
> songs.
> Those links have target _blank, but in Firefox (instead of opening the info
> pages in a new window) it opens the pages in a new tab in the same popup
> window, which is very unusable.

Most FF users are big boys and girls. If they find your popup audio
player unusable in a tab, they will open it in a new window.