Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > target _blank and opening a new window in Firefox

target _blank and opening a new window in Firefox

Blinky the Shark

john smith wrote:

> soory but im doing my best to write bing totly blind and and having

While I did just mention one of your words ("itturends") that I was still
trying to figure out, in hopes that someone else could decode it, I had
already (before you posted this explanation) kind of pictured you reading
and posting with at least a very severe vision impairment and perhaps even
using a mouth stylus. I commend you for your effort in wrestling with
this medium given the amount of effort it must involve.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Ed Mullen

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Els wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> I'm still trying to untie "itturends".

>> I'm betting "it turns out", with a 'silent d' added in, and the word
>> 'out' missing.

> AND a spare "e" thrown in just for good measure?

I gotta give it up to Els. That was a brilliant translation!

You know, before the first drink I was totally flummoxed by the prose.
After the second drink I thought it charming in a kind of "stranger in a
strange land" sort of way. After the fourth drink I was sitting staring
at the screen going: "I need another drink."

Having slept on it and come back for review I really wonder what's going
on.

Hmm. In all seriousness, I wonder if the poster is using a speech
translator. Firefox=fier fox. SeaMonkey=see monky. I guess=igess. If
I sound it out in my head I wind up hearing Stephen Hawking. Tawking.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

john smith wrote:
> soory but im doing my best to write bing totly blind and and having
> nothing but a sckreen reader to help me out maks it relly hard to write and
> i mess things and get words stuck together some times but know this i don't
> do it on perpace . and I do try and edit my messages but i domess things
> some times.

Ahhh! In a reply I just wrote I surmised that might be the case. I
should have read through the thread first and gotten the answer.

John, no problem. Keep posting, we'll figure it all out.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Els

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Els wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> I'm still trying to untie "itturends".

>> I'm betting "it turns out", with a 'silent d' added in, and the word
>> 'out' missing.

> AND a spare "e" thrown in just for good measure?

Yup. Depending on the pronunciation or 'turn'.
Not sure about English, but in Dutch it's quite common to pronounce an
extra vowel between consonants.
The Dutch word "melk" (milk) for example, is often pronounced as
"mellek" or "melluk".

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

minion minion is offline
Junior Member

cool guys, i applaud your work but to be able to force a new window you need to go beyond target=_blank
this works on firefox and ie, haven't tested other browsers

this opens a new window without toolbars or favorites in sidebar

Last edited by minion; 07-18-2008 at 01:21 PM..

Atl Sam Atl Sam is offline
Junior Member

I just came accross this post and I'll put in my two cents worth for any junior level programmer or someone looking to build a web app for the first time. I've been doing apps/sites for clients for the past 15 years and there are exceptions to every rule. True, it is anoying to have popups all over the place when you go to web sites, but remember why that is. It's because of exploits people are using on the web to make money. Should we disallow email because of SPAM? No, we find ways around it. Like SPAM filters. Technically speaking, every email I get from Macy's, Circuit City and such is treated as SPAM until I add them to my SPAM filter. Does that discourage these places from sending mass emails anyway? No, of course not. We don't change what we do (when it makes sense) because of others' misuse. We just become smarter and try and work around it. So, I agree with previous posts that you should try very hard to show whatever you need without popups (for more reasons than just the anoyance factor), but there are many times I use popups and sometimes THEY ARE NECESSARY. The alternatives of course would be hidden divs, frames or other ways that are not always the most efficient. So for anyone thinking of using popups, don't let these "purist" discourage you from using them. If they were so bad, MS and FF would have just done away with them versions ago. BTW, FF will allow new windows even if the "New pages should be opened in:" setting is set to a new tab (I'm using version 2.0.0.11).

TRiG TRiG is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minion
Very nice, but if the user has javascript turned off (and many do), completely useless. The value of the href attribute should be the same as the first paramater of the javascript window.open function.

Code:
So if the user has javascript disabled, the link works as normal. If they have it enabled, the javascript executes instead. (I believe that if the javascript returned true the normal link would also work, and you don't want that. Returning false suppresses the normal link. I think. Don't quote me on that.)

TRiG.

TRiG TRiG is offline
Junior Member

By the way, I came to this thread from Google. What I was actually looking for was a Firefox extension to tell me whether a link had a target attribute to force a new window/tab. I eventually found that extension. It's called Link Alert. Wonderful little tool. Does loads of other things too.

TRiG.

highab highab is offline
Junior Member

Hi, just to stick in my 2 cents worth...

I'm writing a website that'll show things on the projection screen... its something for internal use and I personally know all the people who'll be using the "site" ... we need the 2nd screen to be a popup and we want it to appear directly on the second screen so as someone said earlier on, there are always reasons when "popups" are necessary or desirable

jester420247 jester420247 is offline
Junior Member

You can use this code and it WILL work <a href="your URL" onclick="window.open(this.href, '_blank', 'toolbar=yes,location=yes,directories=yes,resizabl e=yes,scrollbars=yes'); return false;">