Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > target _blank and opening a new window in Firefox

target _blank and opening a new window in Firefox

Travis Newbury

On Nov 25, 3:02 pm, "Ubi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > *I* decide how *I* like a new page...

> I agree with you in principle.
> But there are special cases where something that in principle is correct
> becomes non-sense.

That is for the visitor to decide.

john smith

hi well one thing that should work to fix yourproblem is using
target=_new_window thatfor sure should forse evenfier fox toopen anew window
it works on seeMonky which is bast off of fier fox hope that helps you
"Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Ubi wrote:
>> Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window and
>> not in a new tab of the same window?
>>
>> I have a small popup with an audio player and links for infos about the
>> songs.
>> Those links have target _blank, but in Firefox (instead of opening the
>> info pages in a new window) it opens the pages in a new tab in the same
>> popup window, which is very unusable.

> There is no way you can override a user's settings in Firefox regarding
> handling of new windows opening. You've already gotten an earful about
> why it's undesirable so I'll leave that alone!
>
> --
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net
> http://mozilla.edmullen.net
> http://abington.edmullen.net
> There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home. - Ken
> Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

Ed Mullen

john smith wrote:
> hi well one thing that should work to fix yourproblem is using
> target=_new_window thatfor sure should forse evenfier fox toopen anew window
> it works on seeMonky which is bast off of fier fox hope that helps you
>> There is no way you can override a user's settings in Firefox regarding
>> handling of new windows opening. You've already gotten an earful about
>> why it's undesirable so I'll leave that alone!

I beg to differ. SeaMonkey and Firefox both allow the user to force new
windows to open in a tab and there's no HTML code that will over-ride that.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Bergamot

john smith wrote:

> it works on seeMonky which is bast off of fier fox

You got that wrong, mate. Seamonkey is what was formerly known as the
mozilla application suite under different management. Firefox is a
spin-off of that same suite.

They do use the same rendering engine, but Seamonkey was never based on
Firefox.

--
Berg

john smith

ok so i was rong about see monky bing bast off of fier fox.
but i was not rong about the target=_new_window bing able to to over wride
the tab setting cus i tested it on a testpage and onboth browsers it opend
in anew window wheni clicked onthat link so there is a html code
thatoverwrids the tab setting and that code is target=_new_window try it
andyou see foryour self
bast onfier fox
"Bergamot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> john smith wrote:
>>
>> it works on seeMonky which is bast off of fier fox

> You got that wrong, mate. Seamonkey is what was formerly known as the
> mozilla application suite under different management. Firefox is a
> spin-off of that same suite.
>
> They do use the same rendering engine, but Seamonkey was never based on
> Firefox.
>
> --
> Berg

Ed Mullen

john smith wrote:
> ok so i was rong about see monky bing bast off of fier fox.
> but i was not rong about the target=_new_window bing able to to over wride
> the tab setting cus i tested it on a testpage and onboth browsers it opend
> in anew window wheni clicked onthat link so there is a html code
> thatoverwrids the tab setting and that code is target=_new_window try it
> andyou see foryour self
> bast onfier fox

No, you are not correct. See my other reply. If you disagree I invite
you to write a page and post it online and I will gladly test my
SeaMonkey and Firefox installations against it. And if you can figure
out how to create a page that will over-ride my browser settings in this
regard I will happily admit it.

Until then, stop posting incorrect assertions. It's not helpful.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

john smith

sorry I apolagise for what i said before itturends it was only becuse the
the way mycoppysof fier and fox and see monky were set up to act is why it
worked for me so i was totly rong so igess thereisno way inless of corse
likemethepersonhas fier fox set to openwindows instedof tabs
"Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> john smith wrote:
>> ok so i was rong about see monky bing bast off of fier fox.
>> but i was not rong about the target=_new_window bing able to to over
>> wride the tab setting cus i tested it on a testpage and onboth browsers
>> it opend in anew window wheni clicked onthat link so there is a html code
>> thatoverwrids the tab setting and that code is target=_new_window try
>> it andyou see foryour self
>> bast onfier fox

> No, you are not correct. See my other reply. If you disagree I invite
> you to write a page and post it online and I will gladly test my SeaMonkey
> and Firefox installations against it. And if you can figure out how to
> create a page that will over-ride my browser settings in this regard I
> will happily admit it.
>
> Until then, stop posting incorrect assertions. It's not helpful.
>
> --
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net
> http://mozilla.edmullen.net
> http://abington.edmullen.net
> Consciousness - the annoying time between naps.

dorayme

In article <fio696$3gl$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"john smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> sorry I apolagise for what i said before itturends it was only becuse the
> the way mycoppysof fier and fox and see monky were set up to act is why it
> worked for me so i was totly rong so igess thereisno way inless of corse
> likemethepersonhas fier fox set to openwindows instedof tabs

I can't work out whether it would be more difficult to write like
this deliberately or by accident.

--
dorayme

Ed Mullen

john smith wrote:
> sorry I apolagise for what i said before itturends it was only becuse the
> the way mycoppysof fier and fox and see monky were set up to act is why it
> worked for me so i was totly rong so igess thereisno way inless of corse
> likemethepersonhas fier fox set to openwindows instedof tabs

There is no way. Period. No "inless", no unless, no nothing, it cannot
be done. Period!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

FFMG

dorayme;106083 Wrote:
> In article <fio696$3gl$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "john smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > sorry I apolagise for what i said before itturends it was only

> becuse the
> > the way mycoppysof fier and fox and see monky were set up to act is

> why it
> > worked for me so i was totly rong so igess thereisno way inless of

> corse
> > likemethepersonhas fier fox set to openwindows instedof tabs

> I can't work out whether it would be more difficult to write like
> this deliberately or by accident.

Either way, it is mildly annoying.

FFMG

--