Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Upgrade to Vista 32

Re: Upgrade to Vista 32

Theo

Charlie, the link seems to still be active for the Win XP x64 Trial:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...cts/trial.mspx

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> 1.) There is NO upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit of any MS operating
> system. It will ALWAYS be a full, clean, install.
> 2.) There is no download of the 64bit available.
> 3.) If your laptop came with Vista, it's an OEM version and you'll
> need to buy your copy of Vista 64 - only the retail version gives you
> the right to install either version. (notice I didn't say both.)
> 4.) I don't believe there is any longer an eval version of XP
> Professional x64 Edition available for download. You'd need to buy a
> copy. The XP x64 version was never offered at retail, only as an
> OEM/System Builder version, but is widely available from local system
> builders or online folks such as NCIX.com and Newegg.com.

"Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hey hi , I have windows vista home premium (32 bit) in my hp laptop with
> an
> AMD turion X2 64 and I was wondering if there was a way of just make and
> upgrade to the 64 edition instead of installin it from scratch. Is there a
> download version available?
>
> the othe questions is, where can I download a ful version of windows xp
> professional x64 edition?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Thanks, Theo. I'm surprised, but good news for the OP..

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie, the link seems to still be active for the Win XP x64 Trial:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...cts/trial.mspx
>

> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> 1.) There is NO upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit of any MS operating system.
>> It will ALWAYS be a full, clean, install.
>> 2.) There is no download of the 64bit available.
>> 3.) If your laptop came with Vista, it's an OEM version and you'll need
>> to buy your copy of Vista 64 - only the retail version gives you the
>> right to install either version. (notice I didn't say both.)
>> 4.) I don't believe there is any longer an eval version of XP
>> Professional x64 Edition available for download. You'd need to buy a
>> copy. The XP x64 version was never offered at retail, only as an
>> OEM/System Builder version, but is widely available from local system
>> builders or online folks such as NCIX.com and Newegg.com.

> "Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hey hi , I have windows vista home premium (32 bit) in my hp laptop with
>> an
>> AMD turion X2 64 and I was wondering if there was a way of just make and
>> upgrade to the 64 edition instead of installin it from scratch. Is there
>> download version available?
>>
>> the othe questions is, where can I download a ful version of windows xp
>> professional x64 edition?

Gary J. Dikkema

System requirements
a.. Supported processors: AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Xeon with
Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support

b.. 256 MB RAM

c.. 1.5 GB available hard-disk space

d.. Super VGA (800x600) or higher resolution video card

e.. CD-ROM or DVD drive

f.. Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

That is what the MS website says...

======================================

Surely this is a JOKE! Not even W98 will run decently on 256 megs of ram.

I cannot believe this idiot marketing from MS.

=======================================

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Theo. I'm surprised, but good news for the OP..
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Charlie, the link seems to still be active for the Win XP x64 Trial:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...cts/trial.mspx
>>

>> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>>> 1.) There is NO upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit of any MS operating
>>> system. It will ALWAYS be a full, clean, install.
>>> 2.) There is no download of the 64bit available.
>>> 3.) If your laptop came with Vista, it's an OEM version and you'll need
>>> to buy your copy of Vista 64 - only the retail version gives you the
>>> right to install either version. (notice I didn't say both.)
>>> 4.) I don't believe there is any longer an eval version of XP
>>> Professional x64 Edition available for download. You'd need to buy a
>>> copy. The XP x64 version was never offered at retail, only as an
>>> OEM/System Builder version, but is widely available from local system
>>> builders or online folks such as NCIX.com and Newegg.com.

>> "Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> hey hi , I have windows vista home premium (32 bit) in my hp laptop with
>>> an
>>> AMD turion X2 64 and I was wondering if there was a way of just make and
>>> upgrade to the 64 edition instead of installin it from scratch. Is there
>>> download version available?
>>>
>>> the othe questions is, where can I download a ful version of windows xp
>>> professional x64 edition?

Tony Sperling

I believe 256MB will be quite enough for running the system and any of the
utilities. The minimum requirements obviously will not cover running the
applications you may install. It couldn't very well be expressed any more
clearly.

Tony. . .

"Gary J. Dikkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> System requirements
> a.. Supported processors: AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Xeon with
> Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support
>
> b.. 256 MB RAM
>
> c.. 1.5 GB available hard-disk space
>
> d.. Super VGA (800x600) or higher resolution video card
>
> e.. CD-ROM or DVD drive
>
> f.. Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
>

> That is what the MS website says...
>
> ======================================
>
> Surely this is a JOKE! Not even W98 will run decently on 256 megs of ram.
>
> I cannot believe this idiot marketing from MS.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks, Theo. I'm surprised, but good news for the OP..
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Charlie, the link seems to still be active for the Win XP x64 Trial:
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...cts/trial.mspx

>>> "Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Honestly, I suppose it is technically possible to run XP x64 in 256. Just as
it's technically possible to run Vista 64 in 512. But it is not an
experience I would wish on anyone. Twice those numbers are the effective
minimum, IMHO. And 4x the numbers are comfortable.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I believe 256MB will be quite enough for running the system and any of the
>utilities. The minimum requirements obviously will not cover running the
>applications you may install. It couldn't very well be expressed any more
>clearly.
>

> Tony. . .
>
> "Gary J. Dikkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> System requirements
>> a.. Supported processors: AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Xeon with
>> Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support
>>
>> b.. 256 MB RAM
>>
>> c.. 1.5 GB available hard-disk space
>>
>> d.. Super VGA (800x600) or higher resolution video card
>>
>> e.. CD-ROM or DVD drive
>>
>> f.. Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
>>

>> That is what the MS website says...
>>
>> ======================================
>>
>> Surely this is a JOKE! Not even W98 will run decently on 256 megs of ram.
>>
>> I cannot believe this idiot marketing from MS.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks, Theo. I'm surprised, but good news for the OP..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>>

>>> "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

I agree, of course, but entry-level CPU's are quite powerful today. The
basic system of a modern PC, I believe, is rather - well, 'modern'. I would
hesitate to do it on one of the retired machines most people may have
sitting as a dust collector somewhere. No - frankly, I wouldn't even try
that.

But for someone who just want to see it and make an evaluation(?) well,
isn't that what the Minimum Requirements would be covering? Anyhow, it is a
bit stupid, because you would need to upgrade the thing before you made your
decision. Even so, I recon you'd have a hard time finding a 256MB computer
anywhere with the way memory prices have been going lately.

[Minimum Requirements], though, isn't making many promises - you should
expect to disable features while being able to run everything that makes up
the system. I would expect to find installations that wouldn't work in this
configuration, but as a bare minimum(?) - I would expect total failure from
anything less, it probably wouldn't even boot.

As I'm sitting here trying to prove my position - no, I give in! It really
IS a stupid notion - and [Technically Possible] sounds more and more
reasonable a phrasing. I don't think MS should publish these MR's without
lenghty documentation that explained their definitions to the concept, but
I've had several Win2K machines that ran quite decently with 128MB
initially! And people forget (me too!), this wasn't more than four - five
years ago.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Honestly, I suppose it is technically possible to run XP x64 in 256. Just
> as it's technically possible to run Vista 64 in 512. But it is not an
> experience I would wish on anyone. Twice those numbers are the effective
> minimum, IMHO. And 4x the numbers are comfortable.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I believe 256MB will be quite enough for running the system and any of the
>>utilities. The minimum requirements obviously will not cover running the
>>applications you may install. It couldn't very well be expressed any more
>>clearly.
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>
>> "Gary J. Dikkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> System requirements
>>> a.. Supported processors: AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Xeon with
>>> Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support
>>>
>>> b.. 256 MB RAM
>>>
>>> c.. 1.5 GB available hard-disk space
>>>
>>> d.. Super VGA (800x600) or higher resolution video card
>>>
>>> e.. CD-ROM or DVD drive
>>>
>>> f.. Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
>>>

>>> That is what the MS website says...
>>>
>>> ======================================
>>>
>>> Surely this is a JOKE! Not even W98 will run decently on 256 megs of
>>> ram.
>>>
>>> I cannot believe this idiot marketing from MS.
>>>

>>> =======================================
>>>

>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Carlos

Now I wonder...
How much memory will we be qualifying as "reasonable" within 5 years (if we
are still here or in an advanced 128-bit NG)?
20 gigs main memory, 5 TB hard disks?
Carlos
P.S. How was that Cognac the other day? I went for a "Pisco sour"

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> I agree, of course, but entry-level CPU's are quite powerful today. The
> basic system of a modern PC, I believe, is rather - well, 'modern'. I would
> hesitate to do it on one of the retired machines most people may have
> sitting as a dust collector somewhere. No - frankly, I wouldn't even try
> that.
>
> But for someone who just want to see it and make an evaluation(?) well,
> isn't that what the Minimum Requirements would be covering? Anyhow, it is a
> bit stupid, because you would need to upgrade the thing before you made your
> decision. Even so, I recon you'd have a hard time finding a 256MB computer
> anywhere with the way memory prices have been going lately.
>
> [Minimum Requirements], though, isn't making many promises - you should
> expect to disable features while being able to run everything that makes up
> the system. I would expect to find installations that wouldn't work in this
> configuration, but as a bare minimum(?) - I would expect total failure from
> anything less, it probably wouldn't even boot.
>
> As I'm sitting here trying to prove my position - no, I give in! It really
> IS a stupid notion - and [Technically Possible] sounds more and more
> reasonable a phrasing. I don't think MS should publish these MR's without
> lenghty documentation that explained their definitions to the concept, but
> I've had several Win2K machines that ran quite decently with 128MB
> initially! And people forget (me too!), this wasn't more than four - five
> years ago.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Honestly, I suppose it is technically possible to run XP x64 in 256. Just
> > as it's technically possible to run Vista 64 in 512. But it is not an
> > experience I would wish on anyone. Twice those numbers are the effective
> > minimum, IMHO. And 4x the numbers are comfortable.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
> >

> > "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I believe 256MB will be quite enough for running the system and any of the
> >>utilities. The minimum requirements obviously will not cover running the
> >>applications you may install. It couldn't very well be expressed any more
> >>clearly.
> >>

> >> Tony. . .
> >>
> >> "Gary J. Dikkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

Wow! That is a tough one - as usual I think it will continue to depend on:

1. What you want to do.

2. What the developers want to sell to you.

3. If there will be another technological revolution within that time.

If number one is the defining issue, then I don't think we will be needing
much more than about twice the resources we have now - if we can still get
that little?

If number two, then you may well be correct.

Number three I predict will not happen within five years.

If any combination of of the above, then anything unthinkable is possible.
Except I think we will be having not less than 15TB HD's. It's not more than
four years back I bought a 750MB (yes, MegaByte!) HD. Everybody thought I'd
flipped the lid - six months later they all had one!

Ah, the Cognac - my favorite is the 'Renault Carte Noir' but I had to make
do with a 'De Luze' that I find to be extremely gentle and of a friendly
nature. The decision is a 'bang for the buck' one, De Luze costs less than
half and the Renault is not twice as good!

The Pisco, I'm afraid, is totaly unfamiliar to me - I will check with my
dealer. Usually I am far more inclined towards Single Malts, (The Scottish
Isles in the Irish sea!) but like in the movies when someone had a severe
shock, the doctor always orders a Cognac - I too like to not go into habits
so when something unusual happens and I think it warrants proper support I
turn to Cognac, or Armagnac, or Calvados. I also have my favorit coffee
brand, but I keep changing between several good brands in order to sharpen
the senses. Or you could call it a taste for self-punishment before the
compensation, perhaps.

Well, it seems we are both in a good mood today, Carlos. Keep up the spirit!

Tony. . .

Charlie Russel - MVP

Ah, a Pisco Sour. Now that's something we could agree on.

Well, when XP x64 released, and supported 128 GB of RAM, I couldn't conceive
of any motherboard that even would support it, much less my buying it. Well,
take a look at mid-range, dual-proc, Tyan boards... Yup. 128 GB of RAM
supported. Youser.

When we bought our first 1 GB HD it cost >$1k USD and was an object of lust
and amazement.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wow! That is a tough one - as usual I think it will continue to depend on:
>
> 1. What you want to do.
>
> 2. What the developers want to sell to you.
>
> 3. If there will be another technological revolution within that time.
>
> If number one is the defining issue, then I don't think we will be needing
> much more than about twice the resources we have now - if we can still get
> that little?
>
> If number two, then you may well be correct.
>
> Number three I predict will not happen within five years.
>
> If any combination of of the above, then anything unthinkable is possible.
> Except I think we will be having not less than 15TB HD's. It's not more
> than four years back I bought a 750MB (yes, MegaByte!) HD. Everybody
> thought I'd flipped the lid - six months later they all had one!
>
> Ah, the Cognac - my favorite is the 'Renault Carte Noir' but I had to make
> do with a 'De Luze' that I find to be extremely gentle and of a friendly
> nature. The decision is a 'bang for the buck' one, De Luze costs less than
> half and the Renault is not twice as good!
>
> The Pisco, I'm afraid, is totaly unfamiliar to me - I will check with my
> dealer. Usually I am far more inclined towards Single Malts, (The Scottish
> Isles in the Irish sea!) but like in the movies when someone had a severe
> shock, the doctor always orders a Cognac - I too like to not go into
> habits so when something unusual happens and I think it warrants proper
> support I turn to Cognac, or Armagnac, or Calvados. I also have my favorit
> coffee brand, but I keep changing between several good brands in order to
> sharpen the senses. Or you could call it a taste for self-punishment
> before the compensation, perhaps.
>
> Well, it seems we are both in a good mood today, Carlos. Keep up the
> spirit!
>

> Tony. . .

Carlos

Tony,
Pisco is to Peru what Vodka is to Russia.
It is one of those transparent high alcoholic content national drinks.
Chileans also tend to refer Pisco as a national drink.
As we live quite close to Chile down here, many chileans prepare their
drinks in the restaurants as appetizers.
Two of them are the Pisco Sour (Pisco + egg white + lemon + sugar) and the
"Vaina Chilena" (translation would be Chilean Sheath).
Don't know exactly how "Vaina" applies here 'cause it has many meanings.
It can be the green thing that covers the beans, or the leather where you
keep a knife.
Check your liquor store, you might find the "Pisco Sour" already prepared
(that's the way I buy it).
I am glad that Charlie also likes it.
As for the coffee, my wife also keeps changing the brand for the same
reasons you do.
Luckily, that switching habit does not apply to her husband, i.e.: me.

Carlos