Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Old program won't run in XP

Old program won't run in XP

Why

The only way it will run is if I open a DOS box & type the exe file
name. Then when I close it down it stays at the screen. I have to use
alt-tab to get back to XP then click on the X-Close.

Now this database program has been running just fine in XP on my other
computer that is a duel boot with 98SE, in that I can just click the
icon run then quit & it goes back to XP.

I have tried all the settings pif & it just will not work right.

THis is on a new Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 with nVIDIA 6100. Other computer
has ATI graphics. All the other old prgs run fine.

If I click on the icon in XP it tries to load then comes back with
this.
16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
Thanks for any help.

why?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:33:40 -0600, Why wrote:

>The only way it will run is if I open a DOS box & type the exe file
>name. Then when I close it down it stays at the screen. I have to use
>alt-tab to get back to XP then click on the X-Close.
>
>Now this database program has been running just fine in XP on my other
>computer that is a duel boot with 98SE, in that I can just click the
>icon run then quit & it goes back to XP.

<snip>

You didn't need to mention the exe name or the nvidia driver version,
but you can deal with that.

>If I click on the icon in XP it tries to load then comes back with
>this.
>16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
>THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

Very common message, many causes.

>Thanks for any help.

www.google.com

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 10,500 English pages for
THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
.. (0.13 seconds)

Search adding nvidia and a few other terms to narrow down the possible
hits.

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,040 English pages for
tHe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. nvidia
.. (0.39 seconds)

Already reduced to 1/10th with 1 keyword.

Me

*alan*

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:33:40 -0600, Why wrote:
>
>>The only way it will run is if I open a DOS box & type the exe file
>>name. Then when I close it down it stays at the screen. I have to use
>>alt-tab to get back to XP then click on the X-Close.
>>
>>Now this database program has been running just fine in XP on my other
>>computer that is a duel boot with 98SE, in that I can just click the
>>icon run then quit & it goes back to XP.

> <snip>
>
> You didn't need to mention the exe name or the nvidia driver version,
> but you can deal with that.
>
>>If I click on the icon in XP it tries to load then comes back with
>>this.
>>16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
>>THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

> Very common message, many causes.
>
>>Thanks for any help.

> www.google.com
>
> Web Results 1 - 10 of about 10,500 English pages for
> THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> . (0.13 seconds)
>
> Search adding nvidia and a few other terms to narrow down the possible
> hits.
>
> Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,040 English pages for
> tHe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. nvidia
> . (0.39 seconds)
>
> Already reduced to 1/10th with 1 keyword.
>
> Me

Wow. google's amazing, isn't it? You can even bring it down to 325 pages if
you phrase your search as follows:
"THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction" nvidia
What I also find amazing is that proponents of the "don't-ask-here,
ask-google" dictum seem to be themselves embarrassingly ignorant of the use
of double quotes to indicate an exact string . . . by the way, google will
ignore your totally unnecessary periods, as it will other punctuation marks.

Why

>The only way it will run is if I open a DOS box & type the exe file
>name. Then when I close it down it stays at the screen. I have to use
>alt-tab to get back to XP then click on the X-Close.
>
>Now this database program has been running just fine in XP on my other
>computer that is a duel boot with 98SE, in that I can just click the
>icon run then quit & it goes back to XP.
>
>I have tried all the settings pif & it just will not work right.
>
>THis is on a new Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 with nVIDIA 6100. Other computer
>has ATI graphics. All the other old prgs run fine.
>
>If I click on the icon in XP it tries to load then comes back with
>this.
>16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
>THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>Thanks for any help.

OK, what fixed it was un checking in properties Uses HMA. On the other
computer that has been checked for years & works fine. Guess the fact
that it has 98 installed even though I boot in XP.

chuckcar

Why <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>The only way it will run is if I open a DOS box & type the exe file
>>name. Then when I close it down it stays at the screen. I have to use
>>alt-tab to get back to XP then click on the X-Close.
>>
>>Now this database program has been running just fine in XP on my other
>>computer that is a duel boot with 98SE, in that I can just click the
>>icon run then quit & it goes back to XP.
>>
>>I have tried all the settings pif & it just will not work right.
>>
>>THis is on a new Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 with nVIDIA 6100. Other computer
>>has ATI graphics. All the other old prgs run fine.
>>
>>If I click on the icon in XP it tries to load then comes back with
>>this.
>>16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
>>THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>>Thanks for any help.

> OK, what fixed it was un checking in properties Uses HMA. On the other
> computer that has been checked for years & works fine. Guess the fact
> that it has 98 installed even though I boot in XP.

Hmm. Sounds like you might want to run it under a dos 5/6 boot disk
anyways, so you can use UMB's efficiently and perhaps give it EMS/XMS
like it wants it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )