Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advise me P&S camera with wide angle and articluated LCD ?

Advise me P&S camera with wide angle and articluated LCD ?

Moron Corrector

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 08:27:39 -0800, SMS ??? ? <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>SMS ??? ? wrote:
>
><snip>

<more inexperienced and misinformed BS snipped>

Jrgen Exner

Moron Corrector wrote:

Dear Mr. Corrector

> Please refrain from broadcasting your ignorant misinformed opinions.

[...]
> To correct more of your lame information and ignorance, some of these

[...]
> Get your facts straight or turn off your computer. You're wasting the
> valuable time of experienced people when they have to constantly
> correct all the blatant BS that you spew out into the world.

Sir, your parents found a very fitting given name for you.

Sincerely

jue

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Beladi Nasralla wrote:

> Having a wide-angle add-on lens (or a fish eye) is good from an
> optical point of view... but again, I do not want to take the camera
> out of my pocket, screw the wide-angle add-on lens onto the camera,
> and snap the picture... it is too cumbersome.

It is _very_ cumbersome. I have the WA converter for my G2, and I don't
rarely use it. First, you have to remove part of the camera, screw on
the tube, and then screw on the lens. Also, the converters, be they
telephoto or wide angle, are not nearly as good in terms of picture
quality as using the camera's real lens. I bought the best converter for
my G2, and it's still not great. The low-end converters are downright
horrible.

> I made a more thorough search on dpreview. They have Ricoh Caplio
> GX100... its focal length is even shorter, 24 mm. However, it does not
> have articulated screen... only sweaveable electronic viewfinder,
> which is a joke for my application.

Yes, the Caplio GX100 is the only point and shoot currently on the
market with 24mm at the wide end, but as you found, the removeable EVF
won't work for you. The problem now is that since so many people are
going to D-SLRs, the selection and features of P&S cameras has been hurt
because there's not much demand for a high-end P&S anymore.

I don't think any camera exists that will work for you as sold. Here's
one thing you could do:

Get the Canon SD800 IS which is 28mm at the wide end, then connect a
little 2.5" LCD TV to the video-out jack, which turns off the camera's
LCD display and shows you the image on the TV's LCD. Voila, you have a
remote LCD display.

See
"http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Axion-2.5-inch-Portable-Rechargeable-Handheld-TV/2655248/product.html"
for one suitable TV, for $43. These little TVs are widely used by video
professionals as portable monitors when doing installations. I used
something similar when installing a satellite dish.

Beladi Nasralla

On Nov 25, 11:10 pm, "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-
this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
> Beladi Nasralla wrote:
>
> []
>
> > I checked the Canon and Panasonic line of cameras on dpreview.com ...
> > nothing suitable came out. Maybe someonbe could advise me better ?
> > Thanks.

> Nikon Coolpix 8400. 24mm wide-angle. Full swivel LCD.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8400/

Gee. It looks like I have to use Nikon 8400. It fits the bill
completely. Except that it weights too much (almost 0.5 kg). And I
expected a P&S camera of a mass of about 200 g.

Sigma DP-1 could be what I am looking for... but no, its lens is not
wide enough (28 mm), and it does not have a swivelable LCD screen. Oh
well.

David J Taylor

Beladi Nasralla wrote:
> On Nov 25, 11:10 pm, "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-

[]
>> Nikon Coolpix 8400. 24mm wide-angle. Full swivel LCD.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8400/

> Gee. It looks like I have to use Nikon 8400. It fits the bill
> completely. Except that it weights too much (almost 0.5 kg). And I
> expected a P&S camera of a mass of about 200 g.

I think you will find that at least some of the weight is simply a
reflection of the build quality. Pick up the camera and see what I mean.
I hope it will do the job for you.

Cheers,
David

Mr. Strat